ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Re-built my PC Back in April, only new games ive played since then are the latest FS. Ive also downloaded Wreckfest which is a laugh.

Any other recommendations?
I have to recommend Warframe - purely due to the hours that I've put in!

Civilization VI is great. Stellaris too, if you like the RTS/strategy type games.

Streets of Rage 4 or Overcooked 2 if you have the local co-op opportunity?

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Thoughts on the new RTX3070 then? AMD's turn tomorrow so will be interesting to see what they have come up with.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I can’t see any reason why I won’t be going for one. However long that takes.

Really nice card and will do everything I want. No interest in AMD since my TV is G-SYNC.

Didn’t even know G Sync TVs were a thing.

Assume today is 3070 review day then?

In amongst all this RGB crap and mice with more flat surfaces and jaunty angles than an F35 Lightning... I am still using an MX518 purchased around the time of Queen Victoria‘s death. Works fine.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, embargo has lifted for the Founders Edition... but not the partner cards.

Generally speaking the ‘speed of a 2080ti for less than half the price’ statement was true. Slightly faster in raytraced, slightly slower or even in rasterised. Ouch.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Lol
1603823095833.png

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I have to recommend Warframe - purely due to the hours that I've put in!

Civilization VI is great. Stellaris too, if you like the RTS/strategy type games.

Streets of Rage 4 or Overcooked 2 if you have the local co-op opportunity?
Im going to get Overcooked for me and the Mrs to play on the Xbox as she doesnt have a PC!

Used to love Civs, maybe thats my nex time sink!

RE: The New nVidia cards. Is the big difference btween my card (Radeon RX 5700 ) and the 3070 ray tracing then?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Gave my PC a good clean out at work earlier and moved my OS onto my new NVMe M.2

20201027_113921.jpg

received_3232230786905066.jpeg

Boot time is the same as the OS SSD was 6Gbps before, but it was a right nail

And yes, that wallpaper is F*CKING horrific!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Im going to get Overcooked for me and the Mrs to play on the Xbox as she doesnt have a PC!

Used to love Civs, maybe thats my nex time sink!

RE: The New nVidia cards. Is the big difference btween my card (Radeon RX 5700 ) and the 3070 ray tracing then?
Definitely get Overcooked 2 if you can over the original as it's a fairly big step-up in polish and appearance. Even with two players in co-op, we struggle - I bet it's a right laugh with three or four on-screen at once though!

As for Civ VI - the Platinum Edition is on cdkeys for under £25, compared to about £100 on Steam, I believe? The Platinum Edition includes everything bar the very latest DLC - the New Frontier.

I don’t cheap out on the important bits though. Don’t mind something like a cheap case or cheap cooling etc but need to have top quality premium rgb.

You forgot cheap PSU. That’s the other area where you absolutely do not under any circumstances need to spend any more than £15 on IIRC. :LOL:

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
You forgot cheap PSU. That’s the other area where you absolutely do not under any circumstances need to spend any more than £15 on IIRC. :LOL:
In my experience, I wouldn’t cheap out on a PSU. If you would like any advice just PM me

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I'll be honest, I didn't realise they done 860 versions of the M.2 drives. I thought they were 970/980.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Really am sceptical about DX12. I had big hopes for it and certainly on paper, it sounds like a step-up from DX11.
Have faith mate... :ROFLMAO:

DX12, although it's been out for some time now, was (is) significantly different to DX11 and earlier versions. Even now, some of the current gaming engines still need to be refactored to take full advantage of DX12 / DX12 Ultimate. I spent a couple of months working on a popular gaming engine recently and there were still large swathes of code that needed overhauls and updates to take advantage of the DX12 feature set.

At its core, DX12 was more about moving the entire architecture towards being more multithread / core and GPU friendly. It allows developers to really get down and dirty with the hardware (compared to earlier revisions of the API). However, it's a bit of a double-edged sword. There are definitely positives and gains to be had, but the complexity it brings certainly makes developers' lives harder. Thankfully devs seem to be getting a much better grip on things. Honestly!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah i'll be picking up a 6800xt or 6900xt, hopefully wont be a nvidia fiasco with no stock, wanna pick up a 5900x as well. Probably wait till after xmas though, see what 3rd party benchmarks are like and any issues.
In addition to the Nvidia and Radeon benchmarks. I hope they show the difference between Intel + Radeon and Zen 3 + Radeon to see if you get the benefit of the shared GPU memory.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah i'll be picking up a 6800xt or 6900xt, hopefully wont be a nvidia fiasco with no stock, wanna pick up a 5900x as well. Probably wait till after xmas though, see what 3rd party benchmarks are like and any issues.
Yeah I'll be waiting until January when everything has normalised and been tested to death

The team with the new 5000 CPU's to smart boost seems good too

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
AMD or Nvidia - it really doesn't matter this time by the looks of it. This can only be a good thing for everyone as increased competition should help push the prices down.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Strong performance from AMD, hopefully it encourages Nvidia to drop their prices, but then the 3070 is supposed to be cheaper anyway.
£446 - 6800
£500 - 6800 XT
£770 - 6900 XT

All lower power usage than Nvidia cards for a change too which is mental so they'll save a bit of £ per year if you use your machine as much as @Moonshot loves buying PC parts but not actually building a PC

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
£446 - 6800
£500 - 6800 XT
£770 - 6900 XT

All lower power usage than Nvidia cards for a change too which is mental so they'll save a bit of £ per year if you use your machine as much as @Moonshot loves buying PC parts but not actually building a PC

That's very strong pricing for the 6800 and 6800XT. Very much a case of shots fired.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I thought the 6800 was going to be £500ish. If that’s true then all else aside that’s a great deal.

I’m locked into Nvidia with G-sync but the competition means a 3080 may be more affordable/wise a purchase than the 70.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
For a normal gamer that likes a electric hot as s**t PC I'd say the 3080 or 6800 XT will be ace

Easily enough for whatever people may throw at them unless you're some sort of psycho