ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
God it’s depressing to be into computers at the moment. The 3060 launched today which by all accounts is a dog of a card, barely worth it, yet it still sold out in less than 5 seconds from launch. And the reviews were embargoed until launch time so it’s not like people (lol, scalpbots) even knew what they were buying either.

f**k all of this.

On a bright note, the miners are about to fall off a f**king great cliff by the looks of things.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
New cards hash faster, that’s why there’s a boom when new cards are launched. But the scale it’s done on now is mental, people are designing their own cards to put the dies on now, custom boards, custom coolers, custom bios, mental.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I had a spare dual socket Dell box with 4x A100 running Minerstat in December, would've yield about £1,000 a month at December's prices. But also, cost a fair bit to run.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
God it’s depressing to be into computers at the moment. The 3060 launched today which by all accounts is a dog of a card, barely worth it, yet it still sold out in less than 5 seconds from launch. And the reviews were embargoed until launch time so it’s not like people (lol, scalpbots) even knew what they were buying either.

f**k all of this.

On a bright note, the miners are about to fall off a f**king great cliff by the looks of things.
Might be 2022-2023 before I can actually freely get hold of a card to replace my 1070! I'm not arsed enough to watch stock like a hawk

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Absolute fuckin' beast. I can get 4k120 in Assetto Corsa with most of the CSP settings cranked and it looks bloody beautiful, and with everything including maximum resolution raytracing on it still gets 60fps. Still to try some more demanding stuff but the main use is Assetto and it has well and truly done the job.

However I'm having issues getting it to work with 4k120hz on my LG as when I set it, it just flickers to a black screen - same with G-sync in some titles. I think it's due to my HDMI cable which, whilst rated for HDMI2.1, isn't a name brand one. And it appears a lot have had issues with 'HDMI2.1 certified' cables that actually aren't good enough to take the sheer data rate.

Initial testing though, is f**king awesome.

Attachments

• 57175DA5-C3F9-4FAA-BC9A-7A66595084F5.jpeg
    57175DA5-C3F9-4FAA-BC9A-7A66595084F5.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 37

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I'm insanely jealous, there's nothing quite like plugging in a new GPU and seeing how much faster everything runs.
I remember refreshing constantly when the 3080 was launched and never even saw them in stock, just went straight from "pre-order" to "out of stock"
In hindsight this was probably a good thing because I barely have time to play games as it is, and my 1080 still gives me all the frames my screen can display.
I had a similar issue to you with HDMI cables, mine occasionally refuses to work when I switch between 1080p120 and 4k60. It was one that I found lying under my TV though so god only knows how old it is!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I’m amazed I got a card for MSRP. And definitely having the headroom in the display is the only reason I’m not still rocking the 1060, I just hope the cable fixes the flickering and G-sync as that’s kind of the whole reason I wanted a 30 series card, lol

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Well the gods must have seen my post and smiled upon me because Scan just put up some founders edition 3070s and I managed to score one, thanks to PartAlert on twitter. £469, happy days.

Absolutely buzzing for delivery on Monday!

Nice one!

*Still refuses to use Twitter* 🙃

Last edited:

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
What spec GPU would I need to run 3 1080p monitors at 60fps?

Without wanting to be an arse about it, it really depends in what game.

3 1080p monitors is about six million pixels, a 1440p ultrawide is about five million pixels and a 4k display is about 8 million pixels.

My GTX 1080 is just fine at 1440p and 60fps in most games up to a couple of years old, but no chance with newer AAA titles.

I'd say an RTX 3070 would easily do it in most new games although maybe not at maxxed out settings.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Without wanting to be an arse about it, it really depends in what game.

3 1080p monitors is about six million pixels, a 1440p ultrawide is about five million pixels and a 4k display is about 8 million pixels.

My GTX 1080 is just fine at 1440p and 60fps in most games up to a couple of years old, but no chance with newer AAA titles.

I'd say an RTX 3070 would easily do it in most new games although maybe not at maxxed out settings.
Sorry should have said!

iRacing and asetto corsa.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, what he said. But TBH I wouldn’t be buying any graphics card at all at the moment unless I absolutely had to, the prices are completely insane. Thanks miners....

Actually the 1080 is still not that expensive as it‘s not much good for mining these days, the Ti is still half decent for it though so they attract a big premium.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Any word on this 3080ti? Guessing very low chances of picking one up when it eventually gets released?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Be a little while yet I think, whilst they can release 3060s which are basically just 3070s or 3080s that have failed to meet the required performance level and therefore just exist as a way of making money from silicon dies you already have that would otherwise just go in the bin, you can’t go up in performance quite so easily, so unless a 3080ti was a sub-standard 3090, which would be difficult given the number of 3090s made, it’d mean designing something new.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Seen some suggestions it’ll be April, but NVIDIA keep shifting the date so who knows.

I honestly don’t get why they keep adding variants when they can’t satisfy supply on their current range.

I’m almost at the point of changing my whole system as the most cost effective way to upgrade TBH, it’s still a very decent PC but I really want to play RDR2 and Cyberpunk cranked to silly detail levels.

Cost to change would be way less than paying scalper money for a 30* card.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I stopped playing Cyberpunk, as it was such an amazingly pretty game on high settings. But I really want to experience it psycho on every setting.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I honestly don’t get why they keep adding variants when they can’t satisfy supply on their current range.
As above if they’re making 3070s and 3080s but 20% are failing to make the cut, then either they can bin them or cut them down to make 3060s. Essentially making extra capacity with the wafers they have.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Overclockers had some 3070s last week for purchase. Rip off coonts wanted £800 for them. Getting in on the scalping action themselves (RRP is £469)

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
Overclockers had some 3070s last week for purchase. Rip off coonts wanted £800 for them. Getting in on the scalping action themselves (RRP is £469)

Nvidia website lists the prices for the cards and when you click check availability overclockers add £100 onto most of the cards 😂

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like the going rate for all the 30* cards bar the 3090 is basically 2x MSRP on eBay at the moment.

I feel sorry for anyone who's card goes bad at the moment, you basically either live with a dead PC, put some ancient card in there which is still at an inflated price or take it up the ass from the scalpers. Some choice.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Talk about scalper pricing, I'm on the discord channel for stockinformer (not that it's any use, everything sells out immediately) and here's the latest pricing from Very (yes, I know, I know, but still)

MSIGeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24G Ampere Graphics Card​

£2299.99

MSIGeForce RTX 3080 SUPRIM X 10G Ampere Graphics Card​

£1219.99

MSIGeForce RTX¿ 3070 8GB VENTUS 2X OC Ampere Graphics Card​

£669.99

That's the first 3080 stock which has been reported anywhere since 12th Feb!

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
So basically there’s not much chance of paying release prices for a 3080ti this year then, lol. If I have to pay a couple hundred more for one then I’m not that fussed tbh.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve just specced up a new Alienware Ryzen box, got a 10% discount code so it comes in at a decent price for the spec. I’ll need to add some extra memory as it only comes with one 8gb stick, but given that it’s only £35 to buy a matching stick vs the £80 Dell want I’ll take that 😂

Looks like even Dell are supply constrained as they’re quoting a one month lead time, but hey, 5600X CPU and RTX 3080 here we come :)