ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Got it all set up, needs some tweaking and optimising but it's awesome on first impressions. I've only played Destiny 2 on it so far though and barely played with any settings. Basic spec is:

Fractal Meshify 2
Fractal 360mm AIO
5600X
ASUS 3070 OC
16GB RAM (another 16GB in the post)
1TB Samsung m.2

Plenty for what I'll use it for... for now

tempImageGEC52i.jpg

tempImageGMTv1M.jpg

The screen blows the white balance out, it's not really that pink and blue in there 😂

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Got it all set up, needs some tweaking and optimising but it's awesome on first impressions. I've only played Destiny 2 on it so far though and barely played with any settings. Basic spec is:

Fractal Meshify 2
Fractal 360mm AIO
5600X
ASUS 3070 OC
1TB Samsung m.2

View attachment 1535388

View attachment 1535389

The screen blows the white balance out, it's not really that pink and blue in there 😂
Love it. Very well balanced setup there, makes my 4790k and 1080 seem positively archaic in comparison 😂

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Haha cheers guys. In an ideal world I'd have gone 3080 but it's 2021... I'm lucky to find any 30 series card right now. :LOL:

Just tested it on Destiny 2 and getting 80-90 frames at full 5120x1440, pretty decent.

Also Windows is sh*te and ugly.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Haha cheers guys. In an ideal world I'd have gone 3080 but it's 2021... I'm lucky to find any 30 series card right now. :LOL:

Just tested it on Destiny 2 and getting 80-90 frames at full 5120x1440, pretty decent.

Also Windows is sh*te and ugly.
That letterbox view is just crying out for racing games. I'm thinking of the likes of the in-helmet view from Project Cars 2.

Nice purchase Chris. Like you say with the 3070, you can't be too picky these days and grab what you can, when you can. It's still a top-level card anyway.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Finally sorting out my cooling. Only got one intake fan at the moment, along with a 3070 and a 120x120 cpu radiator, it gets pretty melty! 😆

View attachment 1535610
Just check that you get the USB header cable within the Corsair Hydro package. You should do, but without it the iCUE software won't be able to control the pump flow - it will just be 'on'. Permanently.

If you're running a diddy mobo like a micro-ITX, you might find that you're short on the traditional USB connectors on the board itself. I ended up using a right-angled USB Mini-B to USB A cable, that fed out of the case and looped back to connect to the rear of the mobo. Absolute no design points at all awarded there, but it works!

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Just check that you get the USB header cable within the Corsair Hydro package. You should do, but without it the iCUE software won't be able to control the pump flow - it will just be 'on'. Permanently.

If you're running a diddy mobo like a micro-ITX, you might find that you're short on the traditional USB connectors on the board itself. I ended up using a right-angled USB Mini-B to USB A cable, that fed out of the case and looped back to connect to the rear of the mobo. Absolute no design points at all awarded there, but it works!

You can save settings to the pump itself so you don’t need to have it hooked up permanently to work.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
That letterbox view is just crying out for racing games. I'm thinking of the likes of the in-helmet view from Project Cars 2.

Nice purchase Chris. Like you say with the 3070, you can't be too picky these days and grab what you can, when you can. It's still a top-level card anyway.

Yeah that's it. Scan had 60Tis and 70s in stock but 80s were "coming soon" and I didn't fancy gambling.

Overclocked the 70 last night and got another 15-20 frames from it in some scenarios, just using Afterburner. It's still really, really impressive and knocking on for the 120hz limit I have with my monitor anyway.

Fractal Meshify 2
Fractal 360mm AIO
5600X
ASUS 3070 OC
1TB Samsung m.2

What are you using for the lighting behind the desk?

Looks like it just needs a SATA power plug. Then just plug the fans and pump in to the mobo
123.jpg

Which mobo do you have?
It's an Asus Z170-A. Getting on a bit now but still does the job.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like it just needs a SATA power plug. Then just plug the fans and pump in to the mobo
View attachment 1535779

It's an Asus Z170-A. Getting on a bit now but still does the job.
Looks like the manual is calling the 'pump tach' cable the USB headed one, which makes sense. My main PC mobo in BIOS has an actual reading for CPU_PUMP - which given that's over five years old now probably means that its a lot more common now?

Looks like the manual is calling the 'pump tach' cable the USB headed one, which makes sense. My main PC mobo in BIOS has an actual reading for CPU_PUMP - which given that's over five years old now probably means that its a lot more common now?
Yeah my mobo has a water pump connector that I can control the speed of in BIOS. Why does yours need a USB type A ? Is that just to power it?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
GPU water cooling blocks arrived yesterday. A bit scary ripping apart a card that you know you can’t replace but it all went well.

After 12 hours of mining, the memory is sat at a rock solid 70C and that’s with a 1200mhz overclock. Very happy with that, especially given the fans are set to be barely audible.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I’d turn the fans right up, got the VRAM temp down to 66. Not worth the extra noise IMO.

When air cooled, what I’m doing now just wasn’t possible. The card would be thermal throttling with the VRAM at 108C at a lower overclock (not that I tried at those temps for more than a few seconds!)

95+MH/S mining rate, and low temps and noise. Excellent :) Gaming temps will be stupid low.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I’d turn the fans right up, got the VRAM temp down to 66. Not worth the extra noise IMO.

When air cooled, what I’m doing now just wasn’t possible. The card would be thermal throttling with the VRAM at 108C at a lower overclock (not that I tried at those temps for more than a few seconds!)

95+MH/S mining rate, and low temps and noise. Excellent :) Gaming temps will be stupid low.
Have you plugged in a wattage meter between your PC and the wall socket whilst mining? I'd be interested to know what's being drawn power-wise whilst your PC is mining for hours at a time.

I know a typical kettle or toaster will hit 2,000w when in use - but that's only for a minute or two. If you're pulling through 600, 800w or higher continuously for hours in keeping the GPU fed - I would have thought that you'd notice that on your energy bill?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Card on it's own is pulling circa 200W so I'm guestimating 300w to be on the paranoid side. My tariff is 16.7p per kw/h.

Might grab a wattage meter out of curiosity at some point.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, that's going to be kicking out not far off the heat from a one bar electric fire! (edit: showing my age there.... when's the last time you saw a one bar radiant electric fire :ROFLMAO: )

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
spoke with the lad at work, it wasn't 3090's he has, it's only 5 x 3070's 😂

His mining rig is that warm he hasn't his heating on since he's lived in that house... He's been there 2 years 😂
To be honest - that's a bloody good alternative to poor b******s like us with storage heaters. Our peak bill for one month in a two bed apartment for two adults and with just two storage heaters on, was nearly £260.

I bet for the same money, you could have an entire mining farm running for less! :LOL:

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah he said from February onwards he's had to have his windows open because if not the ambient temp of the house is about 23°C. Each of his cards sits at about 65-75°C😂

He had to rush home last week because the door on his room where he has the farm had slammed shut and it had heated the room to over 30°C and his monitoring was going off like f**k 😂 😂 He makes more money each hour than I do in a month on my savings account interest...

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Picked up Hitman 3 on PC for £29. I loved all the previous games and the reviews seem fantastic.

I'll be smashing some of that later.