ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
So then, I caved and bought a whole PC to farm parts from. Currently running on my old motherboard:

Ryzen 3700x
MSI Ventus 3x 3070
32 GB @ 3200mhz
650 Watt PSU

On Warzone last night we all compared FPS and @Moonshot with the same CPU and a 1080ti (what RAM kit do you have?) was matching/destroying my FPS at the same resolution (I had everything on low). 😱

@Daz... has suggested a fresh Windows install to get the best out of everything but surely it wouldn't be holding things back this much?
Corsair vengeance 32GB 3600Mhz. I usually have a couple of things open when playing cod, dragon centre and internets.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Done any outstanding BIOS updates too? When did they release the updates so 30 series would work on a 4XX board?

I noticed a massive jump going from an AsRock B350m to a Asus TUF B550m.

They're both on the latest Bios 3002, updated the TUF to stick the 3700x in - validated since 1201.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I was getting 100-120FPS with my 3060ti with everything on max in 1440p. Roughly 70-80FPS in 4k. Your 3070 should beat that.

6800XT is getting 100-120FPS in 4K with everything maxed out.

That's on a Gigabyte B450 board with 32GB 3200 ram and a 5800X CPU.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I was getting 100-120FPS with my 3060ti with everything on max in 1440p. Roughly 70-80FPS in 4k. Your 3070 should beat that.

6800XT is getting 100-120FPS in 4K with everything maxed out.

That's on a Gigabyte B450 board with 32GB 3200 ram and a 5800X CPU.

So that'd point more toward the CPU holding things up on mine.

Still makes no sense to me when looking at Liam's though lol, what've you put in the water cooling loop? Monster or Red Bull?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Mine's holding 125FPS+ on max settings, something ain't right with your machine John

3700x
5600XT
32GB 3200MHz
Asus TUF B550m

I've got the card and cpu clocked. CPU max is 4.5GHz and Graphics card is 1850MHz both with high fans settings

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I bought Horizon again (played it on PS a while back) and f*ck me it's nice on PC.

Running 65fps ish with max everything at 5120x1440. Such a pretty game!

Horizon 1.PNG

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
So then, I caved and bought a whole PC to farm parts from. Currently running on my old motherboard:

Ryzen 3700x
MSI Ventus 3x 3070
32 GB @ 3200mhz
650 Watt PSU

On Warzone last night we all compared FPS and @Moonshot with the same CPU and a 1080ti (what RAM kit do you have?) was matching/destroying my FPS at the same resolution (I had everything on low). 😱

@Daz... has suggested a fresh Windows install to get the best out of everything but surely it wouldn't be holding things back this much?

Any other ideas? Using an old motherboard shouldn't make a difference should it? 🤔
That would be my first suggestion. I wouldn't even want to change one piece of hardware without a reformat - let alone a new system of components.

It's amazing just how much s**t, configs and unnecessary crap builds up from simply using a PC. It's by far the simplest solution to try first also - if it still performs slowly afterwards, at least you can negate the O/S as being the issue.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
That would be my first suggestion. I wouldn't even want to change one piece of hardware without a reformat - let alone a new system of components.

It's amazing just how much s**t, configs and unnecessary crap builds up from simply using a PC. It's by far the simplest solution to try first also - if it still performs slowly afterwards, at least you can negate the O/S as being the issue.

Managed to reinstall Windows on Sunday, spent ages tweaking windows/Nvidia/COD graphics settings (basically everything low, texture res normal), bit of an overclock on the GPU/CPU as well.

Warzone orientation (small map/tutorial so I've got a constant) - let it load to see what the FPS settled at - 250-260FPS
On the big boy map FPS seems to range from 110 (lowest I've seen in built up areas) to 170 (on the edge staring out of bounds.)

This morning I've swapped the CPU/GPU back into the pc/mobo etc they came with, set it up as close as possible and the performance is pretty much identical so I think it's just the way it is with this combination of CPU/GPU at the mo' unless some magical update comes along.

At least I know I'm not missing out on anything with the other motherboard now so can get that built into something to sell to my dad. :LOL:

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
They'll have to break the mining lock on them to be worthwhile, 25MH/s for 3070 and 43MH/s for 3080 makes them not worth the investment.

If they work with the dev drivers which get round the lockout on the 3060 then sure they'll be hoovered up but if not then there won't be any point until the lockout has been cracked.

Just going on the specs the 3070Ti looks like a pretty small jump, but the 3080Ti seems a nice increase.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
They'll have to break the mining lock on them to be worthwhile, 25MH/s for 3070 and 43MH/s for 3080 makes them not worth the investment.

If they work with the dev drivers which get round the lockout on the 3060 then sure they'll be hoovered up but if not then there won't be any point until the lockout has been cracked.

Just going on the specs the 3070Ti looks like a pretty small jump, but the 3080Ti seems a nice increase.

Yeah, hopefully NV do a better job than they did on the 3060 lockout :ROFLMAO:

I'd be definitely keen for an 80 or 80TI if I could get one anywhere near retail.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
3080Ti benchmarks out today.
Around 8% faster than a 3080 for only a 70% price increase. What a bargain 🤣

Edit: s**t at maths

Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah absolutely no interest.

In other news, I’ve just upgraded basically everything other than my GPU - 5800x, 32GB RAM, 2x 2TB M.2s, and motherboard to suit, first world problems but my 56 car Assetto Corsa grids were really maxing out my 4690k.

Also got a 3060 laptop as well for work.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Might have a line on a 3080Ti for retail through a mate who runs a PC retailer. He's also already got me a buyer for my 70... :LOL:

We'll see.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Also, can anyone recommend some nice looking cable extensions that don't cost the earth?

Just black, nothing fancy but ideally braided/neater than the fugly things I have now.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Extensions are pap. Get yourself some proper custom cables. If you have a reasonably popular brand of PSU there are good companies out there that'll be able to supply nice cables.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Also, can anyone recommend some nice looking cable extensions that don't cost the earth?

Just black, nothing fancy but ideally braided/neater than the fugly things I have now.

As @N0ddie said, don't bother with extensions. I've got one of the Corsair kits on mine as they have all the correct resistors etc. for my PSU.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
So I’ve swapped my motherboard/cpu/ram over and when trying to boot (windows boot manager or the ssd directly as 1st boot priority in BIOS) it’s stuck in ‘Preparing Automatic Repair’

No biggy, have to reinstall Windoze I guess, but it gets past ‘press any key to boot from CD/DVD’ and then doesn’t do it.

Any ideas? Tried switching from UEFI to Legacy/CSM

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Everyone always focuses on graphics cards when talking about gaming, but sometimes the performance jump from upgrading a CPU is just as impressive. I still remember when I went from an FX 8350 to an i7 4790k, it was absolutely mind blowing!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Everyone always focuses on graphics cards when talking about gaming, but sometimes the performance jump from upgrading a CPU is just as impressive. I still remember when I went from an FX 8350 to an i7 4790k, it was absolutely mind blowing!
To be fair it was fine running with just a few cars, but yeah once you amp things up it struggles.

Very happy now, although it’s using the remainder of the thermal paste applied to my 4690 about 5 years ago, lol. New paste here tomorrow, not that 60-70degrees CPU temp is the end of the world!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah - some games are very CPU intensive.

The holy trinity of gaming is to have decent GPU, CPU and memory. Cut corners on any of those and the other two suffer.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Probably, to be fair I've not done it for a long, long time.

Talking about graphics card vs CPU vs memory took me back to upgrading to a 3dfx Voodoo 2 from an original Voodoo.....

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Are gaming laptops worth it these days? I've been looking at the 3060/70 Alienware models. Seems to be the only way to get a 30 series card these days

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I mean it depends. It’s not going to beat a desktop but realistically for most cases a decent 3060/3070 laptop will still play most titles very well indeed.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
30 series cards are available again, prices still aren’t down to sensible levels but definitely down from the peak.

Overclockers and box.co.uk consistently have stock at the moment, although it does vary day to day.

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
I mean it depends. It’s not going to beat a desktop but realistically for most cases a decent 3060/3070 laptop will still play most titles very well indeed.
I just want to play Assetto Corsa, ideally in VR, but understand if that's not possible on these cards.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I am a HEAVY Assetto enthusiast, lol. No problems on my 3060. The latest custom shaders patch incorporates FidelityFX Super Resolution which is enough to comfortably sit at 120-140fps at 1080p.