ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Plus it probably wouldn't fit in your shoebox case😂

It'll probably be bigger than your entire PC. Also, I'm sure they've leaked bits of info regarding a 4090 which they're saying is going to be twice as beefy as a 3090 and 4x the cudacores, predicted power draw... 850W for the card alone!😳

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
That is just obscene. My 750W supply is already nearing the limits for the 12700k and the 3090. Soon 1Kw supplies will be required to run these beasts.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I've put my order in for a 3090 Ti direct with nVidia through my developer account. :ROFLMAO: Still no guarantee I'll get one. :(

I'm already rocking a 1600W supply so should be ok for a while. Thank goodness the price of electricity is so good at the moment... :unsure:
Don't need the heating on now though since the PC acts as a little electric heather.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I hate that... it usually ends up in having to empty half a bottle of Febreze into my chair to mask the nasty sweat odours... :sick: Why oh why did I go for the Secret Labs fabric option? :ROFLMAO:

How bloody much do you guys perspire?!? 😂

My office chair > other office chairs. :LOL:

1642590197741.png

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
When your room is about 30°C then you kinda do naturally sweat

I'm more worried about the smell of my farts destroying my chair than anything 😂

Whoa, I draw the line at farting in/on the chair. :sick: I move to the sofa bed when I want to fart as I have a nice selection of charcoal-activated cushions for those moments. Preparation is key.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I think at the minute the price difference of a 850w and 1000w is getting very negligible

I stuck a 1000w PSU in last year for funzies.

Changes to mine since the start of last year...

650W PSU to 1000W PSU
16GB 3200 RAM to 32GB 3200 RAM
1070 Ti to 3070
Ryzen 2600X to 3700X to 5900X
5 x Corsair Chassis fans to many Noctuas (mix of 140mm and 120mm industrial)
Be quiet CPU fan to 2 x Noctua industrials

Mods to my Corsair Carbide 275R case...

Spaced out the front panel
Made 3 x 140mm fans fit in the front, cut the 120mm mounts off, made a couple of holes at the bottom for more airflow (bodged some filters together).
Cut away/bent back metal so that the PSU can be removed a lot more easily, mounted it further over to the side of the case.
Cut a couple of holes in the side panel and added 2 x 80mm fans firing air into the side of the PSU, Noctua industrial fan above the PSU/under the GPU to try and pull that air up. This was probably going a bit too far and I'm not sure it did much. :LOL:.
Random bits of foam board I has lying around bodged into deflectors with a broken glue gun, plus stuck some of the gold heat tape on one because I had it lying around. 🤭

I've enjoyed messing tbh.

Are there any decent "universal" mounting methods for fixing normal fans to CPU coolers? Currently using cables ties. (n)

Contemplating an AIO for the CPU. Is it generally the bigger/thicker the rad the better? Would likely offset it at the top of the case and whip the drill/dremel out for more airflow.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
With the 5800X and 6900XT overclocked and both at 100% under stress test I pull 670w max. TDP is 455w.

Hopefully snag a 5800X3D when it's released and it's not stupidly priced.

Some more bits for my watercooling setup turned up today. Just need to choose one more rad and a couple of pipes.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
My CPU cooler came with some little steel flick tabs @Jonnio

I have a 120mm fan on there atm and I'm sure you can spin the cooler the other way around to accept a 140mm if needed

Mine came with these style ones where the mounting holes on the fan are like centred on the width.

1642761737036.png

Shall keep thinking...

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Blimey, it's looking like the 3090 Ti might not be here until March/April at the earliest and the base pricing being touted/rumoured is uncomfortably close to 4 grand. That's just effing ridic. I might just skip it and wait for the 40xx series. Some nice new extensions hopefully making and baking their way into GPUs a couple of generations down the line, too - due to rather cool research into improving ray tracing work loads on the GPU (and significant performance uplifts). Admittedly the GPUs will probably be close to 8 grand by then and draw in excess of 2000 watts... :ROFLMAO:

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Blimey, it's looking like the 3090 Ti might not be here until March/April at the earliest and the base pricing being touted/rumoured is uncomfortably close to 4 grand. That's just effing ridic. I might just skip it and wait for the 40xx series. Some nice new extensions hopefully making and baking their way into GPUs a couple of generations down the line, too - due to rather cool research into improving ray tracing work loads on the GPU (and significant performance uplifts). Admittedly the GPUs will probably be close to 8 grand by then and draw in excess of 2000 watts... :ROFLMAO:
2KW :ROFLMAO:

At least you won't need to turn the heating on...

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
A little bit of trimming and the water cooling is all functional.
Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme 280 top radiator, reservoir and pump unit.
Alphacool Nexxos X-Flow XT45 280 front radiator.
Alphacool Aurora XPX Pro CPU block.
Bykski GPU waterblock
Alphacool quick release fittings

Just waiting on the Cablemods Pcie 4 riser cable so I can mount the GPU vertically.

IMG-20220201-WA0012.jpeg

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Still like my dinky little NCase M1, and still rocking my original 7700k and ex-Sharky 1080.

2E9ABEAE-6DAF-4578-A115-BAF37376F719.jpeg

D852188E-483B-4D1D-B91C-E0DE41C18E40.jpeg

That’s a 140mm fan for size reference, pretty tiny box ;)

Still tempted to swap the board out and get a 12700 in there, the extra cores would speed up some encoding stuff.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I was about to watch a video on youtube and the screen went blue and came up with an error or somesort and the pc shut down and restered itself. How can i get that code just before it shut down and try to figure out what went wrong. It's never done this before, it's about 5 years old the pc

F82 M4
I was about to watch a video on youtube and the screen went blue and came up with an error or somesort and the pc shut down and restered itself. How can i get that code just before it shut down and try to figure out what went wrong. It's never done this before, it's about 5 years old the pc
Bluescreen of death. Don't worry about it, probably won't happen again for a while. Just keep a close eye on it and only start diagnosing if it happens all the time imo

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'm getting tempted to buy a PC but know nothing about them so looking for some advice.

I'm not really interested in playing mainstream cross platform titles, I have an XSX for that and I'm happy playing on my TV downstairs, I want the PC to play the more niche indie games and maybe eventually some racing games, would need to repurchase a wheel though.

I've not bought a PC since 2004, I saw this on HUKD, which is £1055 with the Ryzen 5600X upgrade in the promos section.

Is that about right price wise, should I spend more to get a better CPU/GPU/RAM? Anything else to worry about?

Some upgrades include a 3070 for £1275 or a 3080 for £1500, I worry I'm getting carried away at this point though and the 3060 will be fine.

To begin with I'll use it in my office with this display, which might be my limiting factor: https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/philips-345b1c-34-wqhd-curved-monitor-345b1c-00/version.asp?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Free Listings&utm_campaign=shopping feed&utm_content=free google shopping clicks&refsource=ldadwords&mkwid=sDog2ZbUh_dc&pcrid=442402819641&product=345B1C/00&pgrid=102709084477&ptaid=pla-906277400820&channel=googlesearch&gclid=CjwKCAiA1JGRBhBSEiwAxXblwdG3dwzUy9v_jr-eq3rRza4ij2B_DMM9aidqrUYe_Wy6Vp6VTFiFNRoCBIUQAvD_BwE

If it gets a decent amount of use then it'll get promoted to my old office which has turned in to a bit of a man cave/hobby room and I'll buy a decent monitor.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Bluescreen of death. Don't worry about it, probably won't happen again for a while. Just keep a close eye on it and only start diagnosing if it happens all the time imo
thanks, if and when it happens again and gets worse, is it most likely a new pc job?

F82 M4
thanks, if and when it happens again and gets worse, is it most likely a new pc job?

Oh no not at all mate! Last time I had bad blue screening it was just a faulty stick of RAM. If it happens again keep your phone near it to take a photo of the code. Blue screening is a bit like limp mode for a car, it detects a problem and shuts the PC down to prevent it breaking. Even a format could fix it all

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm getting tempted to buy a PC but know nothing about them so looking for some advice.

I'm not really interested in playing mainstream cross platform titles, I have an XSX for that and I'm happy playing on my TV downstairs, I want the PC to play the more niche indie games and maybe eventually some racing games, would need to repurchase a wheel though.

I've not bought a PC since 2004, I saw this on HUKD, which is £1055 with the Ryzen 5600X upgrade in the promos section.

Is that about right price wise, should I spend more to get a better CPU/GPU/RAM? Anything else to worry about?

Some upgrades include a 3070 for £1275 or a 3080 for £1500, I worry I'm getting carried away at this point though and the 3060 will be fine.

To begin with I'll use it in my office with this display, which might be my limiting factor: https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/philips-345b1c-34-wqhd-curved-monitor-345b1c-00/version.asp?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Free Listings&utm_campaign=shopping feed&utm_content=free google shopping clicks&refsource=ldadwords&mkwid=sDog2ZbUh_dc&pcrid=442402819641&product=345B1C/00&pgrid=102709084477&ptaid=pla-906277400820&channel=googlesearch&gclid=CjwKCAiA1JGRBhBSEiwAxXblwdG3dwzUy9v_jr-eq3rRza4ij2B_DMM9aidqrUYe_Wy6Vp6VTFiFNRoCBIUQAvD_BwE

If it gets a decent amount of use then it'll get promoted to my old office which has turned in to a bit of a man cave/hobby room and I'll buy a decent monitor.

Yeah - the price is about right given the current market. I would suggest looking for a 30x0 GPU with more than 8GB RAM given the way things are going to go but appreciate the costs are still silly, and you perhaps don't have the same demands as the enthusiasts in this thread. In that respect, I'd look to go for the 3070 if the cost isn't too great to do so. Approx 15% performance benefit over a 3060Ti (although it does very much depend on the game and the host system). If you can go 3080 then you are laughing and that will give you some headroom for some time to come - but definitely need to weigh up the costs as you suddenly double the overall cost with that one item alone!

The monitor is ok. The big issue here is, again, one of cost. To get something with nicer features you suddenly see the costs jump up to silly prices and it's probably not worth doing that until you are absolutely sure PC gaming is something you want to truly get invested in. It can be a drain on the pocket.

The system isn't going to set the world on fire, but it's not exactly bad either.

EDIT: Sorry, used the word 'cost' too many times. You get the picture though. :ROFLMAO:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've put my order in for a 3090 Ti direct with nVidia through my developer account. :ROFLMAO: Still no guarantee I'll get one. :(

I'm already rocking a 1600W supply so should be ok for a while. Thank goodness the price of electricity is so good at the moment... :unsure:
I'd be just happy getting my mitts on a 3080 without being bummed for it, tbh!

Read an article in the news last week about some tool being a scalper and was happy to do it. Probably just in the same way I'd like to repeatedly kick him in the b****cks on behalf of every normal person trying to get a new GPU without remortgaging their house first.

Absolute cumsock.... 🤬

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I'm sure I've mentioned about this on here in a previous post but it was a while back. I'm starting to do a lot more editing on my computer now for my YouTube channel. My PC is about 5 Years old now and I'd like a bit more speed going through the different screens. I presume i need some RAM? I've got at the minute Team Group Elite 8GB 2X4GB DDR4 190200C16 2400MHz .

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
What CPU and GPU does one have?

16Gb seems to be the new minimum now for RAM. You also want some fast stuff with nice timings. 3200MHz is the minimum you should be looking for now.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
What CPU and GPU does one have?

16Gb seems to be the new minimum now for RAM. You also want some fast stuff with nice timings. 3200MHz is the minimum you should be looking for now.
I have the Intel Core i5-6600 3.30Ghz and a GeForce GTX 15050Ti. If i do need more RAM which newer version would i need? I've also got TubeBuddy it's a add on for YouTube and it's allot slower editing on YouTube

I've been meaning to get a newer PC a custom built one last year or even this year but i know parts and prices has been bad and left it. This would be my first attempt at buidling one for the very first time

Last edited: