ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I have that motherboard in my pc and in preparation I was deciding which cable to run HDMI 2.1 or Display Port. Surely this can't be right that this motherboard is restricted to only 4K at 60Hz with the display port 1.2 output it has?

Fortunately I have a monitor which is hdmi 2.1 (glad I got this one now) but I was going to use the display port until I discovered the above. Am I missing something here?

Screenshot_20220507-041544_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220507-041405_Chrome.jpg

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Okay ignore me I'm just being a full blown r****d. As you can tell I'm new to pc s**t and I'm in the process of learning so please don't be too hard on me 😂

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
What’s the best ryzen CPU to pair with a 3080 to avoid bottleneck issues? And is thermal grizzly the best paste to use? The ryzens run hot iirc

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
What’s the best ryzen CPU to pair with a 3080 to avoid bottleneck issues? And is thermal grizzly the best paste to use? The ryzens run hot iirc
5600x is a good budget option that won't bottleneck, but the 5800x is the better option.

Only really need one of the 59** CPUs if you're planning on doing something more intensive than gaming.

Thermal Grizzly is decent paste, I've used that and I've got Arctic MX at the moment. No issues with either.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
5600x is a good budget option that won't bottleneck, but the 5800x is the better option.

Only really need one of the 59** CPUs if you're planning on doing something more intensive than gaming.

Thermal Grizzly is decent paste, I've used that and I've got Arctic MX at the moment. No issues with either.
Cheers mate. Unsure whether to spend ~£1500 now on a gpu/cpu or wait another few months and spend the same again on a 4000 series build with newer board and DDR5 etc :unsure:

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Cheers mate. Unsure whether to spend ~£1500 now on a gpu/cpu or wait another few months and spend the same again on a 4000 series build with newer board and DDR5 etc :unsure:

I can't see availability of the new cards being amazing when they first release tbh. You'd be looking at waiting longer than a few months.

The 7000 series processors are due to release later this year too.

If you're happy with what you have then wait, if not then maybe just do the GPU now.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Tbh I’m just a bit sick of mine now. The 1080ti was only bought as a stop gap GPU and then we all know what happened to the market over the last year or two. If I’m going 3080 or above I’ll need a new cpu and by which point I’m already up around the 1500 mark. I tend to max out my 2TB SSD as well. Half tempted to just buy an overkill spec build now that will see me come close to, or maxing out my monitor (170hz 1440p).

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I have that motherboard. Be prepared to enjoy Ethernet adaptor chaos if you’re running Windows 10 or higher….

Just Google ROG Strix B550F Ethernet adaptor problems 😂
Touch wood - I must have been one of the lucky ones!

I tried it with the current install of Windows 10 and it was fine - then reformatted the PC yesterday to Windows 11 and again, its been performing fine.

Latest BIOS applied and I'm actually getting the full speed out of my DDR4 memory now. On my previous mobo, I had to decrease the speed of the memory a little or else the system would continuously blue screen.

So far, so good - with a nice step-up in performance too.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Touch wood - I must have been one of the lucky ones!

I tried it with the current install of Windows 10 and it was fine - then reformatted the PC yesterday to Windows 11 and again, its been performing fine.

Latest BIOS applied and I'm actually getting the full speed out of my DDR4 memory now. On my previous mobo, I had to decrease the speed of the memory a little or else the system would continuously blue screen.

So far, so good - with a nice step-up in performance too.

I went from a 6700k to a 11600k last year and finally upgraded my 1070 to a 3070ti this month.

So much better knowing you're not going to hit bottlenecks with the CPU in some of the newer games.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I know Alienware stuff gets some flack but my work Alienware has been solid as a rock for a year now. I would buy another one in the future, historically I would have much preferred to build a system but when I needed a new computer this was the only way to get a 3090. Only downside is it gets a it noisy at times.

5950X with the RTX3090 is a beast.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I went from a 6700k to a 11600k last year and finally upgraded my 1070 to a 3070ti this month.

So much better knowing you're not going to hit bottlenecks with the CPU in some of the newer games.
It definitely is. My 6700k struggled with the 3070Ti pairing and was much 'happier' with the GTX1080 before it.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Seriously, if you're going 3090TI then you want a reputable branded PSU and I wouldn't be looking at less than 1000W. The 12900K can spike high under load and by the time you factor in a very power-hungry GPU, other drives/peripherals, fans, LEDs, pumps, etc...

EDIT: if you are considering even mild overclocking then you DEFINITELY need 1000W+ with that spec system.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Seriously, if you're going 3090TI then you want a reputable branded PSU and I wouldn't be looking at less than 1000W. The 12900K can spike high under load and by the time you factor in a very power-hungry GPU, other drives/peripherals, fans, LEDs, pumps, etc...

EDIT: if you are considering even mild overclocking then you DEFINITELY need 1000W+ with that spec system.
I've asked them if they'll upgrade the PSU to a 1250W unit. Lets see what they say. Quite surprising they've even put the 850W in there to begin with tbh.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Even Asus recommend a 1000w PSU for that card. Pretty poor considering how much they're asking for the system.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Yes and video editing/rendering. I have however completely disregarded the build I posted yesterday and I’m going for a ~£2000 3070ti/5800X pre built instead 🤣. I very nearly clicked order on that 3090ti yesterday. What a t**t. I just saw the rgb and got excited

My 3070ti seems pretty good for 1440p. Anything more at the moment would feel a bit wasted tbh.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Yes and video editing/rendering. I have however completely disregarded the build I posted yesterday and I’m going for a ~£2000 3070ti/5800X pre built instead 🤣. I very nearly clicked order on that 3090ti yesterday. What a t**t. I just saw the rgb and got excited
You've finally seen sense then 🤣

A wee bit more could have you this though:

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
My 3070ti seems pretty good for 1440p. Anything more at the moment would feel a bit wasted tbh.
What fps do you typically get Daz and do you turn many settings down? I’d like close to 160/170 with high settings tbh.