ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

F82 M4
New internet installed. £29.99 a month all in for 1GB up and down

Speed.PNG

My Valorant ping compared to others -

Ping.PNG

Absolutely chuffed for £30 a month. I was paying £60 for Virgin @ 500MB

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Sub £600 is really good for that card.

I noticed Nvidia failed to meet targets last year, maybe because all their stuff was so viciously overpriced?
It still is tbf, card for card you pay a premium for Nvidia, it's certainly got the edge, but a 4090 is about 50% more than a 7900XTX.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
100 Euros cheaper than when I bought mine.

Worth it if you're remotely interested in sim racing. Be warned that you'll be paying about £70 tax on top though with it coming from Germany via UPS - but even then, I'd still recommend it.

1686600303823.png

DCi
100 Euros cheaper than when I bought mine.

Worth it if you're remotely interested in sim racing. Be warned that you'll be paying about £70 tax on top though with it coming from Germany via UPS - but even then, I'd still recommend it.

View attachment 1647924
I was just googling what the wheel market looks like at the moment - I have an old logitec driving force GT and the force feedback in iRacing is really lacking, I have fiddled but I think its just age of the wheel plus a house move might not have helped it.
That's a good option though.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I was just googling what the wheel market looks like at the moment - I have an old logitec driving force GT and the force feedback in iRacing is really lacking, I have fiddled but I think its just age of the wheel plus a house move might not have helped it.
That's a good option though.
Like most mainstream Logitech wheels, the Driving Force GT had up to 2.5Nm of torque for force feedback. The Fanatec CSL DD is double that at 5Nm and can be upgraded to 8Nm with the beefier power supply.

For mainstream use - I genuinely wouldn't be craving more. As an example, I went on Kyalami circuit early today in ACC, with both a Ferrari 296 GT3 and an elderly Aston Martin V12 Vantage.

The Fezzer is wonderfully agile with a slightly lary backend and superb brakes. The Aston felt a bit 'boaty' in comparison - plenty of grunt in a straight line but you could feel every undulation of the track coming through the wheel. If this is an accurate representation of what the GT3 drivers had to man-handle those fronts with that huge V12 sat upon them back in 2013 - then kudos to them. More so for the developers of ACC allowing us to experience that.

Several hot laps in that Vantage and it was actually starting to feel a bit tiring! :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I really want the CSL DD bundle but the lack of a clutch is so bloody annoying.
Not an expensive addition, if you really wanted it?

Failing that, move the existing brake pedal and shunt that over to the clutch position and get the upgraded load-cell brake pedal.

I'm tempted by that load-cell one myself.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I don’t think the load cell kit includes the whole pedal though does it? Just the load cell.

But yeah I specced it all up with the clutch and 8nm power supply after posting then chickened out because I should be spending that money on my real car 😂

Only got looking because the brothers in law suggested coming down for Le Mans next year for a watch party and to run a virtual one alongside it.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I don’t think the load cell kit includes the whole pedal though does it? Just the load cell.

But yeah I specced it all up with the clutch and 8nm power supply after posting then chickened out because I should be spending that money on my real car 😂

Only got looking because the brothers in law suggested coming down for Le Mans next year for a watch party and to run a virtual one alongside it.
Ah - now you're asking. I assumed that it was the full kit with the load cell - purely because the text refers to you moving the standard brake across and clipping it into the clutch socket on the pedal base.

Given that a basic clutch pedal is less that £40 alone, that would leave an additional £100 for the load cell mechanism. Sounds about right to me?

I was initially all about the idea of getting the load cell pedal and using the existing brake pedal as a clutch. The problem I have is that the CS Shifter when fitted to the frame is proper clunky in terms of noise. Each gearshift had a noticable 'THUNK' noise through the frame and is really quite off-putting. More so as the noise transfers straight through the floor and doesn't help if the missus is watching TV downstairs! :p Besides, most of the driving titles I use on it, have cars that are paddle shift only - like ACC has no concept of a H-pattern gearstick to be used at all - rendering a clutch pedal pointless.

The Le Mans party sounds like a good one! A full 24-hour session, I take it?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It may be, it just gave me the impression it wasn’t a whole pedal before.

I like driving road cars and other sims like BeamNG which have a lot more shifter cars, so H-pattern is important to me, but I’d probably just reuse the G27 shifter as it’s not too massive and relatively quiet.

There’s 4 of us so thinking half hour practice session each on the Friday then do 4 hour events with time set to 24x and 1 hour stints so everybody gets to do a whole day, and just do them as and when we feel like it. Have the complete 2019 61 car grid so will be doing that, did a test run last night and it was fantastic!
screenshot_vrc_pt_2019_tagomi_t50_sx_lemans_14-5-123-1-12-31.jpeg
screenshot_vrc_pt_2019_tagomi_t50_sx_lemans_14-5-123-1-26-36.jpeg
screenshot_vrc_pt_2019_revenga_r13_sx_lemans_14-5-123-1-14-7.jpeg

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

I like driving road cars and other sims like BeamNG which have a lot more shifter cars, so H-pattern is important to me, but I’d probably just reuse the G27 shifter as it’s not too massive and relatively quiet.
Still can't believe that that game is still in early access.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3

There’s 4 of us so thinking half hour practice session each on the Friday then do 4 hour events with time set to 24x and 1 hour stints so everybody gets to do a whole day, and just do them as and when we feel like it. Have the complete 2019 61 car grid so will be doing that, did a test run last night and it was fantastic!
The load cell pedal is the pedal and loadcell ie. everything you need. Just plug it into the wheel base like you would the standard brake pedal.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Getting there, slowly but surely. Got to wait for the missus to paint the units, and I also need to find a decent chair, but I'm looking forward to throwing this all together
20230711_190334.jpg
20230711_190354.jpg

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
What's the best way to get power to external PC fans? I want to mount fans in the rear of the cupboard so I can exhaust the hot air, and was thinking of chopping some 140mm holes and sticking a couple of fans there, but running an extended 3 pin cable out the back of the case seems very primitive. Is there a cleaner way of doing this?

Crispy.

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW G31 530D Msport
What's the best way to get power to external PC fans? I want to mount fans in the rear of the cupboard so I can exhaust the hot air, and was thinking of chopping some 140mm holes and sticking a couple of fans there, but running an extended 3 pin cable out the back of the case seems very primitive. Is there a cleaner way of doing this?
I'm guessing your PC is inside the cupboard too? Spare rear USB ports to power AC Infinity fans? They are good kit, I use the daisy chain function on them to run my biltong boxes (USB 3 pin plug).

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Bloody amazed at how far VR has come. I bought an Oculus Rift (the original, not a Rift 2) and it was OK but was heavy, the resolution wasn't that great so the screendoor effect was offputting, the field of view was narrow and needing to have the camera towers set up was a pain.

I bought a Pico 4 this week and it's brilliant. I had to get a different "facial interface" for it as I didn't find the original too comfortable but now I've done that it's really comfortable. Field of view is excellent. I'm so impressed I've bought some prescription lens inserts for it and I'm really looking forward to doing some sim racing. Just as soon as I get bored of VR p**n. So, that'll probably never happen :p

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I'm guessing your PC is inside the cupboard too? Spare rear USB ports to power AC Infinity fans? They are good kit, I use the daisy chain function on them to run my biltong boxes (USB 3 pin plug).

or a powered USB hub, to run the same fans?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Bloody amazed at how far VR has come. I bought an Oculus Rift (the original, not a Rift 2) and it was OK but was heavy, the resolution wasn't that great so the screendoor effect was offputting, the field of view was narrow and needing to have the camera towers set up was a pain.

I bought a Pico 4 this week and it's brilliant. I had to get a different "facial interface" for it as I didn't find the original too comfortable but now I've done that it's really comfortable. Field of view is excellent. I'm so impressed I've bought some prescription lens inserts for it and I'm really looking forward to doing some sim racing. Just as soon as I get bored of VR p**n. So, that'll probably never happen :p
I should really upgrade my Rift S. The resolution is grim but the biggest downside for me is the terrible FOV, I find if I’m trying to flip a switch in a cockpit and it’s down by my side I have to physically push the headset on my head more down to be able to click it, because I can’t just look down with my eyes.

Still love it though. Amazing technology.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
1070 GTX is about to finally be replaced with a 3060Ti (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BQJLPVSP/?tag=cliospnet01-21) £302 ain't bad.

The 1070 GTX does me fine for what I play, but the Video Rendering is a tad slow, so this will help a little. Keeping the 1070 aside for a later build once I decide on my main build. My 10 Year old i7 4770k is getting towards retirement age :)

Not tempted by AMD? The 6700 XT is a nice step up in performance for nearly the same money - unless you’re into using ray tracing or want the DLSS features.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

or a powered USB hub, to run the same fans?

I've cheaped out and ordered some 140mm case fans, a 60cm molex extension, and a pwm molex splitter. It'll be janky as f**k but should do the job nicely, and nobody will see it because there'll be a PC in the way 😎

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Not tempted by AMD? The 6700 XT is a nice step up in performance for nearly the same money - unless you’re into using ray tracing or want the DLSS features.
The AMD variant is the 6750 XT, and £50 more. Fair few websites punting 3060Ti as the go to good budget card for Video Rendering.

The big changes come later this year when I retire the 4770k for either a 13700k or one of the new 14th gens.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

I've only recently come to terms with the fact that VR (and getting the most out of it) requires a lot of manual intervention.

I naively thought that for 90% of it - it would simply be plug & go, but that's clearly not the case. As it stands, I can see no real discernable difference at all between an ancient HTC Vive and my newer Vive Pro 2. I was kind of expecting to be blown away with the technical step up - but the extreme blurring I have at the edges and 'only clear when looking straight on' scenario, is still really evident.

It's like I've paid a chunk of money for a Glaucoma Simulator at the minute and clearly have a lot of reading and tweaking to do, in order to help improve the results.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
the extreme blurring I have at the edges and 'only clear when looking straight on' scenario, is still really evident.

It's like I've paid a chunk of money for a Glaucoma Simulator at the minute and clearly have a lot of reading and tweaking to do, in order to help improve the results.

The pancake lenses in the latest headsets help with that a lot, but yeah, getting used to moving your head rather than your eyes to stay in the sweet spot takes some getting used to.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just for reference if anyone was interested - a couple of NVMe M.2 benchmark comparisons.

The first two drives are 1TB Gen3 and the last is a 2TB Gen4 that I picked up in last week's Amazon sale.

Standard Samsung drive...

1689751473338.png

Samsung 970 Evo...

1689751548664.png

Corsair 2TB...

1689751599347.png

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
That last one is the Crucial P3 Plus is it not? I got one myself last week.

I’m still using a 970 Evo as my OS drive so it looks like I need to swap that out next!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I'll have to test my 990 Pro I got last week

£120 for a Gen4 2TB NVMe 7500MB/s capable I can't grumble at all. Gen 4 storage has dropped quite a bit recently with gen 5 arriving thick and fast. I might have to get a PCie card and whack a 4TB NVMe in there at some point... Or invest in the newest gen AMD CPU/Mobo and then I can have 2 gen4 slots 😂

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'll have to test my 990 Pro I got last week

£120 for a Gen4 2TB NVMe 7500MB/s capable I can't grumble at all. Gen 4 storage has dropped quite a bit recently with gen 5 arriving thick and fast. I might have to get a PCie card and whack a 4TB NVMe in there at some point... Or invest in the newest gen AMD CPU/Mobo and then I can have 2 gen4 slots 😂
X570 has 2 X M.2 slots both gen 4 4x. One on the CPU, one through the Northbridge

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
storage is one thing I really shat the bed on in my first build, be the first thing I do properly whenever I upgrade