ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks mate. Looking forward to putting it together as I haven't done a home build for a while. I was quite calm and relaxed this morning when it arrived... now I'm like an excited kid and want to get started on it! :eek: But - alas - I have a mate to meet and a bit of a drive planned first so it will have to wait until later this afternoon / evening. I'll also have to try and remember my Steam login details as I haven't been on there for a good 5-6 years.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
This thread makes me want to blow my car fund on a gaming rig. It's been so long...

alexalvarez_cockpit_design.jpg

I'm thinking of building my first watercooled rig.

I was thinking of getting something like this (but building it myself)

If you were buying it yourself what would you change and why? I'm interested to hear what people suggest.

FF 182
The radiators in the pics look like HW Labs SR1's, very high quality they are. Also look like EK waterblocks for gpu's and cpu, and a EK DDC res/pump combo.

Looks lovely ;)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Love that case also, I'm itching to do a tech refresh on mine but want to wait till its a bit more worthwhile (DDR4 etc)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Love that case also, I'm itching to do a tech refresh on mine but want to wait till its a bit more worthwhile (DDR4 etc)
Ideally I would like to have been able to postpone the build for a little longer (to wait for Haswell-E, DDR4, etc.) but I was in desperate need of a PC. I'll just wait for Silent_Scone to buy the new hardware when it comes out... and then buy it off him cheaply when he sells it a month later. :p

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
I gave my gaming rig to my brother this weekend because his is knackered. Such a waste of hardware to be solely used for Minecraft.
Now I'm stuck with a Raspberry Pi for my main media, quite a downgrade .

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Ideally I would like to have been able to postpone the build for a little longer (to wait for Haswell-E, DDR4, etc.) but I was in desperate need of a PC. I'll just wait for @Silent_Scone to buy the new hardware when it comes out... and then buy it off him cheaply when he sells it a month later. :p

lol, see you've still got that monitor. Proper loved that screen. Unfortunately it wasn't a real man-res though (2560x1440) :D

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Silent_Scone - Yes mate - the monitor is great. One of the best I've used in terms of quality and colour reproduction. It's not the highest resolution (1920x1200) but I can happily live with that given how well it performs everywhere else! I can comfortably use it for my software development and graphic design so all is good. No complaints about the price, either... bit of a bargain really. ;)

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Yeah it's an awesome panel, prolly one of the best quality IPS ones I've had. Not only that but in your instance with one 780Ti 1440P is a lot of pixels to push around so you'd have to drop a few bits of multi sampling here and there. Not what you want on a new build lol :D.

VRAM usage gets nail bitingly high sometimes at 1440P. Although a lot of it I think is just heavy caching.

On a note of the consoles, I read recently that Tomb Raider 'Definitive Edition' on XB1 and PS4 is 1080P and capped at 30FPS.

Yep, PC still the go to platform ;)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I want to feel all smug... but I can't. I still love my console gaming. :eek:

And yes, a single 780 Ti will struggle at 1440p with everything turned up to 11. Naturally I got a suitable mobo to allow future expansion (quad SLI, yada yada blah blah). But I don't think it will be happening in the foreseeable future. Still got the Trophy and holidays to pay for!

As I mentioned elsewhere (either in this thread or another) the main purpose of this machine is for software development and similar work. But it would be a shame to not put at least a few games on there. I've got several years of PC gaming to catch up on after all...

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK How are you finding the fans on the 540 mate? Few reviews are suggesting that they are too loud and a fan controller is essential.
Personally I don't find them too loud at all. Yes, they are noticeable but this is easily the quietest system I've had; even under load. I've only had the system running a few days but don't even notice them now.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
What OS people running at the moment ? A mate of mine swears by Win 8.1 but I'm not sold on 8.1 at all. OCD kicked in and I'm rebuilding as my registry is a mess !

F82 M4
So my K70 packed in the other day just 6 months old. Have requested an RMA with Corsair and just had it approved. I've got the message labels to send to Hong Kong but of course I'm responsible for the costs of sending it. Cheapest place to send to Hong Kong? Guess I won't be seeing my K70 for a good few weeks :(

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Very unhappy... :( I finished installing my software development environment on my new setup last night and decided to try a few games, etc. Oh s**t, the whine I'm getting through my speakers when the graphics card is under load is ridiculous! :( It's fine when at idle but horrific under load. It's too bad to simply try and ignore it :(

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
So my K70 packed in the other day just 6 months old. Have requested an RMA with Corsair and just had it approved. I've got the message labels to send to Hong Kong but of course I'm responsible for the costs of sending it. Cheapest place to send to Hong Kong? Guess I won't be seeing my K70 for a good few weeks :(

That sucks mate!

Hong Kong? When I RMA'ed some items with Corsair their RMA Centre was in the Netherlands!

F82 M4
That sucks mate!

Hong Kong? When I RMA'ed some items with Corsair their RMA Centre was in the Netherlands!

Sorted now :)

I assumed with it being past 30 days of purchase I would have to go direct to Corsair but this isn't the case. Just spoken to ebuyer and they're picking it up tomorrow to replace under warranty :cool:

As for the Hong Kong address it appears Corsair had me down as "United Arab Emirates" instead of the UK, hence the other side of the world!

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Very unhappy... :( I finished installing my software development environment on my new setup last night and decided to try a few games, etc. Oh s**t, the whine I'm getting through my speakers when the graphics card is under load is ridiculous! :( It's fine when at idle but horrific under load. It's too bad to simply try and ignore it :(

Through your speakers? Under load is normally coil whine, mine are quite loud under load but nothing bad enough to make me of the same mind as you. Any vids of it mate?

Cheeky grainy HDR shot off the iPhone

98n7.jpg