ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

FF 182
Okay so I'm completely out of date with the hardware side of things now and I've got a friend asking what the best pre built rig to buy for around £500-£550 would be to be used for gaming etc.

Ideas are needed.

Just the pc itself, or does he need monitor, mouse, keyboard etc etc?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Sharky - I noticed that Outlast too. Seems to have got good reviews and some of the team look like they were involved with Uncharted. If nothing else, I suspect the set pieces and scripted scenes should be good!

The best chunk of money I can suggest at the minute is on the Sid Meier's collection on Humble Bundle. SO worth it! :)

2014 Focus Titanium
I've just bought a 2GB GTX 760 off ebay for £150 all in, to replace my current AMD 6870 1GB for BF4. I know it will be bottlenecked to hell by my 3.2ghz Q6600 but, I will hopefully upgrading to a i5 4670k in the next month or two! Between now and then it should get me a few more FPS anyway, but once I get the i5 I should see a big difference.

Either way it will be nice to finally get more than 30fps in BF4 on low settings!

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Just bought myself one of these to play around with.

xl2420t-benq-prix.jpg

120hz, so hoping to see the difference between this and my Ultrasharps at 60hz.

Also, bought another EVGA 1000W P2 PSU to replace my AX1200i, as I am fed up with this thing buzzing, constantly.

Cheap AX1200i coming up for sale soon if anyone is interested ;)

F82 M4
Just bought myself one of these to play around with.

xl2420t-benq-prix.jpg

120hz, so hoping to see the difference between this and my Ultrasharps at 60hz.

Also, bought another EVGA 1000W P2 PSU to replace my AX1200i, as I am fed up with this thing buzzing, constantly.

Cheap AX1200i coming up for sale soon if anyone is interested ;)

Mate you will not look back. Seriously the difference between 60 and 120hz is like night and day, every game looks immense and smooth. The only problem is once you're used to 120hz you will never want to use anything but 120hz and it makes everything else look s**t :cool:

On a different note I RMA'd my Corsair K70 and they've sent me a new one (took about 3 weeks) but whilst waiting I've been using my mates Steelseries 6GV2 which uses the black switches and the K70 uses the reds. Basically I've fallen in love with the blacks so I think I'm going to pick up a Ducky Shine 3. I'll have a brand new K70 in packaging etc for sale in the next few days, cheap :)

2014 Focus Titanium
Mate you will not look back. Seriously the difference between 60 and 120hz is like night and day, every game looks immense and smooth. The only problem is once you're used to 120hz you will never want to use anything but 120hz and it makes everything else look s**t :cool:

Whilst I do agree that there is a noticeable difference I really don't think it's night and day. Yes it's smoother but playability wise there's nothing in it, it isn't going to get you any extra kills whereas the jump from 30fps to 60fps will (which is night and day!).

F82 M4
Whilst I do agree that there is a noticeable difference I really don't think it's night and day. Yes it's smoother but playability wise there's nothing in it, it isn't going to get you any extra kills whereas the jump from 30fps to 60fps will (which is night and day!).

Sorry mate but I completely disagree. IMO it is like night and day. I played a lot of competitive CS and having 120hz gave you a competitive advantage over someone playing on 60hz, so technically it did give you more kills ;)

2014 Focus Titanium
Sorry mate but I completely disagree. IMO it is like night and day. I played a lot of competitive CS and having 120hz gave you a competitive advantage over someone playing on 60hz, so technically it did give you more kills ;)

Yeah, one of my best mates did too (I did back in the days of 1.6!) and he also swears by 120hz but to me it really isn't as bigger difference as people make out. It's all personal though!

F82 M4
Yeah, one of my best mates did too (I did back in the days of 1.6!) and he also swears by 120hz but to me it really isn't as bigger difference as people make out. It's all personal though!

What's your mates name? I might know him :cool:

It's only 1.6 I play mate. Absolutely hate Source and CS:GO ha :)

2014 Focus Titanium
What's your mates name? I might know him :cool:

It's only 1.6 I play mate. Absolutely hate Source and CS:GO ha :)

Rich Wilkinson, he went by all sorts of names but played with Grav and such! He was very good Tbf, I was just a wannabe :-D

Evo 5 RS
  Evo 5 RS
Yeah agreed :)

Those are nice fans btw, I ran 2 to push air towards my gpus on my mining rig :)

Cool, look forward to seeing the difference. I'm unsure on whether i'll benefit more from having it suck air away from the GPUs, however being mine are on water, a lot of the ambient temps are rising due to there not being much in the way of cool air at all in the chassis, so I think intake will work best.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.de/2014/02/amds-mantle-biggest-innovation-in.html

Not as much increase as AMD claim (of course there's no surprise there), but 150 to 180 fps I'd say is pretty good imo, free FPS is free FPS!
I'm still not convinced by Mantle... I would have hoped for more across a wider range of hardware setups. I agree, free FPS is indeed free FPS... but the difference between 150fps and 180fps is not a lot; that 30fps increase amounts to ~1.1ms improvement per full-frame render. The higher the fps climbs the less significant the difference, hence why I personally find some benchmarks and claims a bit misleading when dealing in the hundreds of fps. But that's a different story. :eek: I'm not against Mantle in truth, but I just can't see how it fits in with the current landscape. Surely it will take some significant support from developers to take off? Maybe I've been tainted by the whole 3DFX Glide thing... LOL!

Evo 5 RS
It's got a fairly big list of Frostbite 3.0 powered games, but they're all far into the future. It won't take off, but the internet fads think it will :)

RX7 FD
Mantle is going to be interesting if they can get it to work properly.

I thought about trying the beta 14.1 then saw it doesn't support the 7990 yet or Crossfire, so steering well clear until the WHQL version. I am not expecting to see massive differences on a relatively high end set-up. What will be interesting is seeing if it helps mid range set-ups vs DX.

Fiesta ST
Well got my new case :) and Bitfenix fan controller to keep it nice quiet.

How many wires!
12466927805_8d968c8c9d_b.jpg

12467086103_0328b1c011_b.jpg

12466919875_48512d9052_b.jpg

12467419864_5b6d48a8c3_b.jpg

12467080413_994c97686d_b.jpg

12467415324_a6cdae94cf_b.jpg

Really nice case to work on.

FF RB 182
That's smart as mate! This thread makes me jealous. I really want to build myself a decent desktop machine. I'm bored of my alienware laptop now.

F82 M4
Well got my new case :) and Bitfenix fan controller to keep it nice quiet.

How many wires!
12466927805_8d968c8c9d_b.jpg

12467086103_0328b1c011_b.jpg

12466919875_48512d9052_b.jpg

12467419864_5b6d48a8c3_b.jpg

12467080413_994c97686d_b.jpg

12467415324_a6cdae94cf_b.jpg

Really nice case to work on.

Looks awesome mate :cool:

I've also got that same fan controller, makes a massive difference to the fan noise, I'm really pleased with it. Just recently bought some red LED's to spice things up as all my peripherals glow red. Just need some braided cables now and a H100i and I'm happy :)

IMG_20140211_235518.jpg

IMG_20140211_234920.jpg

IMG_20140211_235506.jpg

2014 Focus Titanium
Yesterday I pulled the trigger on (oops!):

i5 4670k CPU + Cooler
8GB G-Skill 2166 RAM
Gigabyte Z87X-HD3 Motherboard

Should go nicely with my GTX 760! Just need a decent SSD now as my 60GB one is too small.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Nice job Scone :)

It's the big drain weekend for me, not looking forward to it tbh, going to be a real pain in the ass. But should be worth it with a change of tubing colour and getting the 3 580s plumped in correctly.

Evo 5 RS
Nice job Scone :)

It's the big drain weekend for me, not looking forward to it tbh, going to be a real pain in the ass. But should be worth it with a change of tubing colour and getting the 3 580s plumped in correctly.

Cheers,

I'm loathing the time I need to drain mine, not due to changing anything, just because it's a b**ch to bleed lol.

2014 Focus Titanium
Jesus you guys really do have proper power PCs! I can't imagine ever needing some of the specs you guys have, but I suppose if I had the money to splash I probably would :D

Finished building my new PC on the weekend, but it still needs time for tidying up. Also had a quick play at overclocking but it's not completely stable yet, need to do some reading up as overclocking has moved on a lot since the days of my Q6600!

12584959485_296f83eb08_b.jpg

New PC by Alan D. Key, on Flickr

Spec:
Intel i5 4670k
Gigabyte Z87-HD3 Motherboard
G-Skill 8GB 2133mhz DDR3 RAM
Palit GeForce GTX760 2GB
Corsair Force 3 SSD
Asus Xonar DG
OCZ 600W PSU
Xigmatek Midgard II Case

Anyway, coming from an old system which struggled to play BF4 on low settings at 25-30fps, I'm loving the new system! As I only have a 60hz monitor I'm now running BF4 on High Settings @ 1080p at solid 60fps (Vsync enabled) and it's beautiful!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm about to buy some new hardware. Got an empty (besides my BeQuiet 860W) corsair 540 sat on my desk.

Can't decide between budget:

Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Akasa Venom Voodoo

Or

Gigabyte Z87X-OC
Corsair H100i

Decisions.... The latter is £136 more. Bringing my total cost up to £750. So quite a % increase, I'm just not convinced I will receive the proportionate increase in performance (I play games, and have read that the i7 doesn't improve games that much).

Watercooling worries me too. Although I realise the chances of getting one that leaks is unlikely and it would mean it will OC more.

2014 Focus Titanium
For games the i7 really isn't worth the extra, however if you're doing things like video processing and decoding then it shows it's worth. Still, the i5 would be no slouch at that either!