ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm getting BF4 on the go as soon as my internet is online (it's been a month FFS!)

Had a read through an overclocking guide yesterday and got my i5 760 from 2.8ghz up to a seemingly stable 3.9ghz. After an hour of 100% load it was still under 60 degrees so I'm pleased with that.

I read something about older 1156 boards having a socket that doesn't like over 1.4v so I'm playing it safe at an increment over 1.3.

Evo 5 RS
Only 100FPS? Tres Disappoint.

Nah really, jesus! What monitors do you run? I need to give my 2x 290's a go in eyefinity, but in all honesty I cant draw them away from mining!

lol! 4224x2376! so higher than 4K :p

I run a 1440P 27" mate. That's using down sampling in the NV control panel to reach 4K @ 30Hz. Purely for testing ;)

F82 M4
You guys reckon a single R9 290 (4gb) would power a 1440p screen in games with good settings?

Yeah it will be fine mate, those cards are made for high resolutions with their 4GB VRAM. Although, I wouldn't say you would "smash" everything on Ultra at 1440p (eg 60fps+) but it will certainly do it on high/very high settings.

Evo 5 RS
Might have to tone down some AA in a couple games, but will be ample for the most part. Get two... :D

4GB is AMPLE for 1440P. My 780s have 3GB and I can throw all sorts of Super Sampling etc at it and can't exceed VRAM limits.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Took ages to download my steam library and then BF4 and packs but it's done. My name on Origin is jeff_simply I'll play later for a bit.

Booted BF4 and it runs smooth as anything on ultra (1920x1080). Not sure if I was expecting anything differently for £350 on a card but hey. I'm happy.

Evo 5 RS
I don't get out of bed for less than 8k. True story. :p

LOLz at 4224x2376! I need to upgrade again. :eek:

:D

Still playing with this new C9 2133 kit. So far managed 2440 at C10 and loser secondary timings with 1.65v. Already gained a few FPS from the raw memory speed alone regardless of running CAS 10. Will see how far I can push it with up to 1.75v. If I can reach 2600 I'd be happy, but I'd rather tighten the timings at 2400 as you see worse returns above that with loser timings.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Still playing with this new C9 2133 kit.
I really like the Corsair Dom Plats; I think it's the design and lighting. :eek: I was tempted to tweak things slightly but I don't really have any need (or desire) to at the moment. The system happily meets both my (growing) gaming needs and runs beautifully as a development workstation, too.

What are you currently running your CPU at Mike?

Evo 5 RS
@SharkyUK 24/7 I'm at 4.5Ghz @ 1.3v. Ivy-e doesn't like big volts. I could run 4.8Ghz 24.7 @ 1.4v (considered the maximum safe 24/7 volts) but there really isn't any need. For 24/7 I run the dom plats stock which is a pretty nice and efficient 1.5v 2133Mhz C9-10-11-30. Simple case of setting the VCSSA to a light 1.12v / VTT 1.1 (could probably get away running these in auto) and multiplier to 45.

Have to use X79s BCLK straps to reach 4.8 for benchmarking as can't on 100 strap :) (Can only get 4.8 stable with high BCLK. This is because the higher BLK is creating less modulation and thus the CPU has less errors to correct)

This is because the higher BLK is creating less modulation in PLL and thus the CPU has less errors to correct and a "cleaner signal" High BLK along with low PLL is the way to go with most CPU

So 125 CPU Strap

130 BCLK with 37 multiplier = 4810mhz Vcore @ 1.4v

BCLK clocking goes up with ram divider so best strap @ 130BCLK is circa 2430mhz DRAM 1.65v @ C10-11-12-31 which I'm trying to get tighter

VCSAA @ 1.15v

VVT @ 1.1v

Last edited:
  F82 M4
Right folks I'm looking for a bit of help with the cooling of my system.

I'm currently rocking a H100i with the stock SP120L's, and a Corsair 540 with all stock AF140L's (2 intake and 1 exhaust). I was going to replace the 2 intake fans with 3 120mm ones but I've heard it's going to increase the volume quite a bit? I'm looking to make the PC as silent as possible to be honest. I was looking to use 3 SP120 Quiet Editions and I'll be running them off a Bitfenix fan controller.

As for the SP120L's on the H100i I believe these are pretty much the best fans for this job but I really do find them quite loud. I've turned them down to around 900rpm on Corsair Link but still would prefer less volume.

Any suggestions?

RX7 FD
I replaced all my stock 540 fans and H100i fans with Alpenfohn items. The only noise from my PC comes from my 7990 coil whine in gaming and a faint hum from the rest of the rig. Fans are barely audible.

F82 M4
I must be going deaf as I find my similar setup to be nice and quiet... :eek: Old age isn't all bad! :p

Haha :)

I think it's because I leave my system pretty much on 24/7. I'll leave it overnight downloading and it's in my bedroom so when I'm trying to sleep I notice how loud it really is. :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I have that very case and cooler. It certainly isn't whisper quiet but it's not terrible IMO.

Better cold than quiet in my book. Just buy some big speakers!

F82 M4
Yeah sorry I should of said I already have a Bitfenix Recon fan controller :)

I'm running the fans at 800-1000rpm, it's quiet but not quiet enough! ;)

It's excellent the Recon is, I can control all the fans from my phone :cool:

I'm still rocking the Coolermaster Extreme Power Duo. PC constantly sounds like it's about to master vertical take off & landing.

THE loudest PSU known to mankind IIRC.

But then decent quality power delivery > noise. But yeah should've spent a few £ more.

Evo 5 RS
4x Corsair 1400 fans and 8x 1200 XSPC case fans aren't as loud as you'd think :D

See if anyone can beat my dual card Heaven 4.0 run

4960 @ 4.8

2x 780Ti's @ 1275/1925

ghj0.png

Last edited:
1440P mainly

cool same res as me, I run a pair of budget ips panels but they do a decent enough job but im starting to feel like my cards on its arse with some of the new games, tomb raider was a none event on max settings, im looking for an improvement on a gtx590

F82 M4
I'm currently in the hunt for a 2nd monitor. Currently I have a 27" Asus VG278HE which is a 144hz TN panel, it's used 95% for gaming so will carry that on as normal as my primary display. I'm considering getting an IPS panel for the 2nd monitor, which will mainly be used for watching films, Twitch and Youtube. I'm still considering another TN panel for the 2nd display though, as they are so much cheaper. I have no problems with the colours and viewing angles of TN panels as I sit directly in front of them but never really compare them to an IPS one. It's a toss up between these two -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-034-AS&groupid=17&catid=1120
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-062-AS&groupid=17&catid=1120 (can get for £240 from elsewhere)

I'm wanting to stick with a Asus monitor just to match with my primary. The first screen is £75 cheaper and it matches my current monitor much better with it's looks and TN panel. I'm wondering if the IPS screen will look out of place next to my current TN screen and I will continue to "compare" the two screens and then never be happy?

I'm lost!