ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

IMG_20140312_165725.jpg

I actually really like the orientation of the case like this, shame about the feet on the side, but it looks good

RX7 FD
^^ Have you mounted the PSU differently? Laying the 540 down like that will cover the PSU intake I think.

Not a major issue really just something to keep in mind.

F82 M4
^^ Have you mounted the PSU differently? Laying the 540 down like that will cover the PSU intake I think.

Not a major issue really just something to keep in mind.

I have more case feet under it so the PSU is getting some air from the bottom. It has crossed my mind that it's probably not getting enough though so I'll probably stand it back in the normal position to be honest. It just looks cool at night when you can "peer" into the top with the red lights and all the components on show :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I have my 540 on my desk like a boss. My girlfriend saw it and was like "wow that's massive, will that fit under the desk?"

I told her it was staying put and she was like "oh ok. You know best I guess"

I wish ;) haha.

F82 M4
I have my 540 on my desk like a boss. My girlfriend saw it and was like "wow that's massive, will that fit under the desk?"

I wish ;) haha.

Wish I had a big enough desk mate and I would do the same :cool:

I'm in the loft at the moment so can't get anything too large up the stairs. When I finally get round to buying my own house I will get a new desk then :)

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
It should allow me to push my reference Ti past most Classified clocks through futuremark. The fans are 1900rpm :p

I wish ;) haha.

Best place for it, realised my desk wasn't big enough but luckily found a matching side-table thing, fits near enough :D

d1QgU69.jpg

F82 M4
Best place for it, realised my desk wasn't big enough but luckily found a matching side-table thing, fits near enough :D

d1QgU69.jpg

Nice Addicted :cool:

We have very similar setups. Same mouse, keyboard, case and fan controller.

Seen the new Sensei Wireless? Looks interesting but at £135 I think I'll pass. :clown:

Wireless is an immediate no for me :) I've had wireless before and never would again - you just cant get the refresh rate you require (often had lag too with it), and usually the batteries run out at the worst of time :D

Ahhh, you have an Aquaero 5 XT too? Props, not seen anyone else with one so far :D they're fantastic!

F82 M4
Wireless is an immediate no for me :) I've had wireless before and never would again - you just cant get the refresh rate you require (often had lag too with it), and usually the batteries run out at the worst of time :D

Ahhh, you have an Aquaero 5 XT too? Props, not seen anyone else with one so far :D they're fantastic!

Ah no sorry mate I got confused. I thought it was theBitfenix Recon :eek:

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
waiting on the new overhead correcting drivers being released tomorrow to do any of that...

But temps sure are good :D GPU temps after a couple rounds of Titanfall. Barely breaking ambient.

Titanfall.png

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I've managed to get some new generation Mayhem Aurora 2 fluid to try (Along with some yellow dye) so that should be in the loop in a few days. Fingers crossed it delivers !

Polo + Micra
bit OT but what would my pc roughly be worth? can't remember what i paid for the bits lol

cooler master 130 case(mini itx)
asus z87I-pro mobo
i5 4670k cpu
corsair hydro h80 cpu cooler
8GB corsair vengance ram
msi twin frozr nvidia 660 graphics card
2TB wd hard drive
hp dvd-rw drive

around the £500 mark?

Last edited:
I'm considering replacing my Intel X25v - If you can't remember what one of those is, it's because it's ancient. What's the current low-down on budget SSDs?

Best bang for buck around the 128GB mark?

On the face of it the Sandisk X110 has by far the highest read/write but what are benchmarks revealing about all the specs that aren't printed on the side of the box? Very tempting to assume the 550/440 MB/s Sandisk would still blitz the ancient Intel (something like 200/100 MB/s maybe) even if the controllers etc. are rubbish compared to the cheaper Intel/Crucial/etc.

Quite funny really thinking back 7 or so years. All the hoo-hah at the time that SSDs would never catch on because they were unreliable, the drives would need to be perma-backed-up, they'd only last 2 years and to top it all off cost £4/GB. Well it's still going strong.

F82 M4
I'm considering replacing my Intel X25v - If you can't remember what one of those is, it's because it's ancient. What's the current low-down on budget SSDs?

Best bang for buck around the 128GB mark?

On the face of it the Sandisk X110 has by far the highest read/write but what are benchmarks revealing about all the specs that aren't printed on the side of the box? Very tempting to assume the 550/440 MB/s Sandisk would still blitz the ancient Intel (something like 200/100 MB/s maybe) even if the controllers etc. are rubbish compared to the cheaper Intel/Crucial/etc.

Quite funny really thinking back 7 or so years. All the hoo-hah at the time that SSDs would never catch on because they were unreliable, the drives would need to be perma-backed-up, they'd only last 2 years and to top it all off cost £4/GB. Well it's still going strong.

Samsung 840 Evo IMO. Although, I would highly suggest getting 250GB instead of 120GB tbh.

120GB - £69 - http://www.ebuyer.com/539151-samsun...ium=products&gclid=CKjf54me470CFVLItAodRXMAlg
250GB - £119 - http://www.ebuyer.com/539153-samsung-250gb-ssd-840-evo-ssd-only-mz-7te250bw

The 250GB has faster write speeds than the 120.

:)

Samsung 840 Evo IMO. Although, I would highly suggest getting 250GB instead of 120GB tbh.

120GB - £69 - http://www.ebuyer.com/539151-samsun...ium=products&gclid=CKjf54me470CFVLItAodRXMAlg
250GB - £119 - http://www.ebuyer.com/539153-samsung-250gb-ssd-840-evo-ssd-only-mz-7te250bw

The 250GB has faster write speeds than the 120.

:)

I'd go with the Samsungs also (I've got a few of them), they are cheaper on Amazon though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E391KA8/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Thanks for the suggestion & links.

Think I'll go with the 120 on the basis of cost. OS is kept very very clean & I'm used to having everything else on a conventional drive anyway.

Never been a fan of dumping 15GB worth of Far Cry on an SSD just for the sake of quicker load screens anyway.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Right. But the 120 is £60 isn't it? For the extra £40 to double your storage it's rude not to! The fact it's got faster write speeds is the nail in the coffin IMO.

Right. But the 120 is £60 isn't it? For the extra £40 to double your storage it's rude not to! The fact it's got faster write speeds is the nail in the coffin IMO.

And a Nissan GTR is only about 40% more than a 318d once you tick a few options :rasp:

I agree it represents better value for money, but 120GB & a write speed that is 12x faster than my current SSD is adequate.

I hope that doesn't come across as typical CS "asking for advice and ignoring it" - I'm very grateful of not having to pour over reviews at the usual European/US sites and then spend ages sourcing the particular drive they recommend. The 840 Evo definitely seems the way forward, but I think the 120 suits my needs better than the 240.

RX7 FD
Picked up an AOC 27" 1440P monitor in one of Overclockers daily deals last week. Fantastic monitor, BF4 looks absolutely beautiful at that res on Ultra!

F82 M4
Ahh good stuff :)

I'm planning on getting the new Asus Rog Swift 1440p when it comes out in June. Just wondering if SLI 680's are going to be enough for it though, especially as they only have 2GB Vram.