ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

BMW M4; S1000 RR
That's a fair comment. The difference is big for sure, my buddy has a Dell U2410 and whenever I am round there I'm like Jesus I have to turn the brightness down as the colours are blindingly vivid!

I am still on a 22" Iiyama TN that cost £110 new so anythings an upgrade for me, and I'm not on an unlimited budget but it's pixels > response rate > price > panel type for me so this ticks all the right boxes so long as it's the better side of £600.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
That's a fair comment. The difference is big for sure, my buddy has a Dell U2410 and whenever I am round there I'm like Jesus I have to turn the brightness down as the colours are blindingly vivid!

I am still on a 22" Iiyama TN that cost £110 new so anythings an upgrade for me, and I'm not on an unlimited budget but it's pixels > response rate > price > panel type for me so this ticks all the right boxes so long as it's the better side of £600.
That's fair enough mate - I'm certainly not knocking TN's and I still run one as a secondary monitor on my home development machine. :) As said above, do you need to factor in a GPU upgrade to drive the display? I can't believe it's getting to the point where you need such serious grunt just to pump out the pixels!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yes I will definitely be looking at a 2nd 290. Hopefully won't need a 3rd. People on OCUK reckon 2 will do the trick since you can turn off AA (although I'll have to test that!). Can always return it if it's not as cool as I imagine.

Yeah. 4k is 8 megapixels though! That's an amazing amount of pixels compared to the 2 most people are used to lol.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
My little 2nd hand upgrade was delivered this morning....

GTX690_zpse1ddf3ba.jpg

Should hopefully be a step-up from my SLi'd GTX460s :cool:

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Er... just a tad mate! :D

Loving it so far! Downloaded Company of Heroes 2 and it didn't flinch with it. Got BF4 downloaded and Witcher 2, though I've yet to try them.

Planetary Annihilation ran dog slow though. Clearly something was amiss - especially when the wattage readout on the rear of the PSU didn't even break 200w? Having looked on various forums, it looks like PA.exe occasionally runs the graphics output as a standard VGA adapter - leaving all the fancy work to be CPU bound. A simple redirect in the nVidia Control Panel to utilise the GTX690 with PA.exe made it run very smooth indeed. It still hasn't been fully released yet either.

D.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
My little 2nd hand upgrade was delivered this morning....

Should hopefully be a step-up from my SLi'd GTX460s :cool:

D.

Snap I've just made the same purchase moving from 5770's ! Unreal card, It's blowing quite alot of heat into the case though so I think it will have to be put on water once I upgrade a few bit's in my loop.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Snap I've just made the same purchase moving from 5770's ! Unreal card, It's blowing quite alot of heat into the case though so I think it will have to be put on water once I upgrade a few bit's in my loop.

Nice! The weird thing is with the 690, I've seen a couple of sites where the retail on them has gone up? Amazon now have the same Gigabyte card as mine going from £758 last week, to £780 now? At the same time, the 780Ti cards seem to be dropping...?

D.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Nice! The weird thing is with the 690, I've seen a couple of sites where the retail on them has gone up? Amazon now have the same Gigabyte card as mine going from £758 last week, to £780 now? At the same time, the 780Ti cards seem to be dropping...?

D.

The graphics card market is all over the place at the moment, although Nvidia is normally more predictable ! Nvidia have announced they are making 6GB 780 cards now so I'd expect a slight increase in people shifting 780's (No date on the 780TI's yet) Titan Z was also announced at GTC - which looks very impressive.

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
I am looking for some advise looking to get a gaming desktop for probably between £750 - £1000 I used to buy all my stuff from oc and a mate would build it for me, though this time I will need a prebuilt machine.

Any suggestions would be most welcome, I was always an nvidia fan boy so would ideally like to stick with them if they are still the way to go.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
690s aren't made anymore though so any prices you're looking at on Amazon will be 3rd party sellers selling old stock or used items so they can put what they want

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I am looking for some advise looking to get a gaming desktop for probably between £750 - £1000 I used to buy all my stuff from oc and a mate would build it for me, though this time I will need a prebuilt machine.

Any suggestions would be most welcome, I was always an nvidia fan boy so would ideally like to stick with them if they are still the way to go.

If you have a budget then IMO go with AMD for a card.

Where are you based? I would whip a computer together for you for some beer money.

F82 M4
Anyone seen the Samsung 4k 60hz 1ms screen being released soon?

I'm mighty tempted. Running games at the same resolution as a PS3 does not make me feel fuzzy.

I've only got my eye on the new Asus ROG Swift monitor. It's 27", 1440p, 144hz and 1ms response. No signs of a release date yet, and it looks like it's going to be VERY expensive, especially for a TN panel (8 bit though). I currently have the 27" VG278HE so it definitely seams the most logical upgrade for me :)

ROG-SWIFT-PG278Q_LEFT-955x1000.jpg

Attachments

• ROG-SWIFT-PG278Q_LEFT-955x1000.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 34
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've only got my eye on the new Asus ROG Swift monitor. It's 27", 1440p, 144hz and 1ms response. No signs of a release date yet, and it looks like it's going to be VERY expensive, especially for a TN panel (8 bit though). I currently have the 27" VG278HE so it definitely seams the most logical upgrade for me :)

If it was sensibly priced then I would love one of those. But it's Asus and their ROG brand so I doubt it will be anything near sensible.

They will refuse it without an RMA #, of course.

Tbh, never buy XFX period (I know this is not useful advice right now)

The guy I spoke to was like yeah I can set you up a direct RMA but you'll have to pay shipping, thought they would have a UK warehouse!

Plus, for my next set of cards I defo won't, I had an old sapphire 6950 and it was great other than the blue PCB

I've never seen an RMA service from a manufacturer that didn't include a prepaid label

Unfortunately, xfx are a bunch of pricks

F82 M4
As above. I've never known an RMA service to actually include a pre-paid label. I've always had to send them at a cost to myself.

Anyone on here had experience with xfx RMA services? Was quoted 50euros to send my card to the Netherlands and was wondering of they would just refuse it or not

How old is the card? If it's less than 12 months have you tried the place you bought it from?

As above. I've never known an RMA service to actually include a pre-paid label. I've always had to send them at a cost to myself.

How old is the card? If it's less than 12 months have you tried the place you bought it from?

Yeah, I cant go back through the supplier in my case, as I got the card off eBay, luckily it was unregistered, but the card has a life time warranty

My only concern is that I've changed thermal paste on the card, therefore opened it up

F82 M4
Yeah, I cant go back through the supplier in my case, as I got the card off eBay, luckily it was unregistered, but the card has a life time warranty

My only concern is that I've changed thermal paste on the card, therefore opened it up

Hmm, pretty sure that will void the warranty I'm afraid :(

2014 Focus Titanium
Anyone seen the Samsung 4k 60hz 1ms screen being released soon?

I'm mighty tempted. Running games at the same resolution as a PS3 does not make me feel fuzzy.

PS3 runs most games at 600-700p, so they look pretty poor in comparison to PC games anyway. Plus it's all about Anti-Aliasing and textures!

That said, a 4K screen would be mighty fine!

Hmm, pretty sure that will void the warranty I'm afraid :(

thats what i thought, however the guy i spoke to was like we should be able to rma it for you :S

i have ordered another of the same card with all seals in tact, im gonna try to move them over to the old card as well as the stock thermal paste and claim that it wasnt opened up

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Re: RMA's. Majority of the time I've been fortunate enough to send it back via the retailer, who have sorted me out with a pre paid label.

Or I've sent it via work and not paid for packaging :eek:

F82 M4
Anyone have any experience with the new Steelseries H Wireless?

http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-h-wireless

I currently have the Siberia Elite's (which are excellent) but I've accidentally broken them. The wire keeps getting caught in the side of my chair and when I swivel or move it keeps pulling the wire tight with quite some force, therefore my mic is playing up and keeps cutting out etc. I'm thinking wireless may be the best solution for me. :)