ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

F82 M4
are the Samsung 840 evo ssd's any good?

giphy.gif

Good case selection, I was gonna complain you don't have enough rads, but then saw it's only a 7850 :D

What temps do you get? Looks good, and good case choice :}

Yeah i'll be changing to a 360 at the front and 240 at the top when i go for my next GFX card, waiting for the next gen of ATi stuff really.

Max temp is around 60-62c if im stress testing it but if gaming/real worl temps are about 50-55c, these Haswell chips are mega hot compared to my old i7-3770k which with same wc setup only got to about 40c

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Part of the Hydro club now Gareth lol.

Did you hear they dropped Swiftech recently? All Hydro products will be EK from here on in.

Good cards, I didn't hear that, but tbh I don't blame them especially going for EK instead. Although that said, if I'm honest as much as I like EK I'm not too favourable of the reservoirs of theirs I have.

Polo + Micra
wow. i've got a ssd in my laptop and it helped a lot but in my PC it's silly compared to a normal HDD lol

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Hi peeps, I've had a PC built up for me and it's about 5 years old now was about £400 back then just a basic built nothing fancy. And I would like a new one now.

I'd like to spend about the same or up to £500 if I can get money if I sell my old one. I mainly use it for surfing the net, watching films and YouTube so like to have sharp graphics and I have multiple tabs on my web browser so needs to be quick. I use a 23" Dell full HD monitor and would like to have dual set up down the line.

I know nothing about specs all I know the higher the number it is better. Been looking and you need about 16+ things to make up a build. Some of the things I'm interested in is maybe a 2TB hard drive, no idea what a Solid State Drive is? Or if I need one, internal card reader. USB2.0 & USB3.0, is it worth having Wireless Networking, do I need a Sound Card? ( On board high def audio ) I'd like Windows 7 not interested in 8.1 yet.

I quit interested in the Asus brand as I've noticed when I come to do a build on a website not many Asus stuff comes on any of the options to add it to the build.

not sure if this helps but any help will be appreciated

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
100% You need a solid state, it will change the whole experience. Use it for Windows and the apps, store anything like pictures/videos etc on a mechanical HDD where you have the space.
The Samsung 840 Pro's have very good reviews, a new version of it is due soon which is meant to be quicker. Windows 7 will consume a good 20gb and you don't always get the full capacity so I'd say anything over 128GB will do for that along with a larger storage disc.

Most of the intels now come with integrated graphics (I3/I5/I7) which isn't actually too bad performance wise, could knock off a significant figure if you go down that route. USB3.0 is backward compatible, so if you can get it, go for it. SATA3 too if you can, an SSD will saturate SATA2 (Although you wouldn't probably see the different)

RAM wise, around 8GB of good brand DDR3 - Corsair or the like.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Not yet, but soon ;) (possibly)

You'll start to see kits crop up here and there. Launch is slated for September.

Silly good or silly pointless?

SSD in a proper PC is enlightening. Huge performance gains across the board in terms of loading times and responsiveness.

I'm rolling an 'old' OCZ Vertex 3 128GB with for Windows and apps, and a Crucial M500 500GB for Steam, Origin and Uplay.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I use a 1TB SSD for VMs on my main home server, multiple VMs running off the same conventional disk just doesn't work.

BG 182 FF
IMAG0100_BURST001[1].jpgIMAG0086[1].jpgsame case as me ;) my rig has a asus maximus vi hero, i5 4670k, 16gb of corsair vengeance, a Asus Gtx 780, WD 1tb blue a 240gb Samsung evo and finally powering it all is my corsair ax860 ;)

Last edited:
  F82 M4
That looks really nice. Where did you get it and what is the quality like? I badly need a bigger desk.

Quality is fantastic mate, really has a premium feel to it. It's custom made to order so you can choose the size and colour you want. I opted for the biggest they had which is 1800mm wide and went for the colour walnut, cost me £147. They even deliver and build it for you free of charge. However, it did take around 4 weeks to come though.

http://www.onlinereality.co.uk/prod/11006/avalon-side-panel-rectangular-desks

F82 M4
Nice choice of case dude.. whats the specs?

Bit dated now tbh mate, will be upgrading next year -

i7 2700k @ 4.2ghz
Corsair H100i cooler
Bitfenix Recon fan controller
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz RAM
2 x GTX 680's SLI
Soundblaster Z sound card
250gb Samsung Evo SSD
2 x 2TB HDD's
XFX 850w Gold rated PSU
Windows 8.1

Still not bad though, worth waiting for the newer stuff and hopefully they wont run as hot as the current line up.

So should have waited myself instead of jumping from Ivybridge to Haswell, shockingly hot even on full custom loop.

F82 M4
Nutters you lot.

These must be worth a fortune

This is just my peripherals -

Sennheiser 598 Headphones - £160
Steelseries H wireless Headphones - £220
2 x Sennheiser Headphone holders - £40
Steelseries Sensei Mouse - £55
Ducky Shine 3 Keyboard - £140
Steelseries 9HD Mouse mat - £30
Edifier S730 Speakers - £350

Total - £995

Nearly a grand just for peripherals! Not even starting on the monitors and the PC itself lol :)

So yup, costs quite a bit of money :cool:

FF 182
Anyone using a Corsair H80i? Just installed one on my 4690k and have idle temps in the 40's. Reseated it twice now and still the same :(

F82 M4
Anyone using a Corsair H80i? Just installed one on my 4690k and have idle temps in the 40's. Reseated it twice now and still the same :(

I thought that was a pretty normal temp for the Devil's Canyon? I was always under the impression they are very hot chips. What's it like on Prime95?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I am still on trusty lynnfield and with a 30% overclock it runs at 35-40 degrees at idle with a H100 cooler. Is yours overclocked Amberlamps?