ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Added another alphacool 240mm rad instead of my EK 120mm and temps have dropped again. So now ive got 2x 240mm rads :) just ordered an alphacool 360mm rad to replace my EK 240 so that will mean a 240+360 and should drop the load temps on my 4670k chip to around 60c :)
Thats cooling he GFX card too :)

I sold my M4A4 on steam and now i've got £45 in my steam wallet. Thought there was a way to withdraw buy hey.

So if anyone buys a lot of s**t on steam then mail me, £45 in steam wallet for £30 over paypal?
£15 free, so you wont lose out if you're planning on buying a game on steam in the near future :)

Yaris Hybrid
Just finished Tomb Raider.
What a game.

Finished with 82% without actively searching for collectibles ect

Yeah a criminally under rated and under sold game IMO.

I thought it was miles better than Uncharted 3 but doesn't get the respect it deserves. I can see why Square thought it would sell more copies.

I know there's hardly any appeal for keyboard stuff here, but figured I'd post anyway :)

I run with various keyboards (all mechanical), but recently got some new stuff for my Poker 2 :).

Bought an aluminium case for it. You'd be surprised the difference it makes when typing. Feels much more solid and much much nicer to type, nevermind the weight.

A43fRkK.jpg

I wanted to keep it OEM, so I spent a little time getting the original plaque off of the old plastic frame, took the feet off too and applied them all to the new aluminium case:

SLL0cpV.jpg

Much better.

I'm now just waiting on my keycap set to arrive from February (group buy - takes a while to go through process of manufacturing), here's a sample picture:

zjDx2mr.jpg

Absolutely cannot wait, looks awesome.

Anyway, that's a small and very nerdy update, maybe some will appreciate it, if not, nevermind.

Not a 320d
Nice keyboard. Tempted to dig out my K70

My PC performs better (No FPS problems on any games yet) at stock speeds than it does overclocked even by 400mhz.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I'd rag the 4960 before it gets retired. Sadly I don't think this specimen will ever do 5ghz, but that is rare as rocking horse sh*t on warm water :)

Puts the cards 8th in Hall of Fame top 100
Cracking results mate :)

So... 5960X, X99, DDR4? Hoping to get my hands on one or two of these systems soon... So very tempted to upgrade my home rig as well having seen the benchmarks (not from a gaming perspective I hasten to add). Some serious number-crunching ability with those 8 cores.

The only recent upgrade to my system has been my man cave in which it resides!

mancave01_zps75741cd5.jpg

I hated moving house, but this has made it worthwhile. The beanbag in the corner will soon be moved slightly to make way for a decent TV and some consoles. :eek:

F82 M4
Quick update of my system, recently upgraded the following -

Intel i7 4790k Devils Canyon
Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400Mhz RAM
Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Asus Front Panel
Asus Phoebus Solo Sound Card

Looks much better with the colour scheme I'm going for :)

IMG_20140907_144120.jpg

IMG_20140907_144137.jpg

IMG_20140907_144155.jpg

IMG_20140907_144211.jpg

The only thing I really dislike is the bloody Sound card needing it's own power, and therefore having to run another ugly cable in the middle :(

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Well I had the mayhems coolant in for a few months now, almost all of the pearl has fallen out of the coolant and settled in te radiator and bottom of the resivoir (despite being setup as they advise it to be)
Recently got a block for the 690 so used the opportunity to change the coolant and tubing (as the pearl had also stuck to that and made it cloudy)

r17iag.jpg

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Dosent really offer much other then the looks, now I've tried it (and although it did look pretty ace) I probably wouldn't use it again, maybe give the red a try in the distant future.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
EXACTLY this, no matter what colour it is, it will separate and clog stuff up, I guarantee you have it clogging up your blocks now also.

If you want pretty colours, get tubing to do it :]

believe it or not none of the pearl settled in the block, the majority attached itself to the tubing and the rest in the bottom of the resivoir. Just rinsed out, but one more job you don't want to be doing when changing the coolant.

believe it or not none of the pearl settled in the block, the majority attached itself to the tubing and the rest in the bottom of the resivoir. Just rinsed out, but one more job you don't want to be doing when changing the coolant.

You were lucky then :)

When I first started 5 or so years ago the dye wasn't so good then, went with a premixed Red coloured coolant and clear tubing, made a right old mess after a few months!

As you say, probably better now, but screw cleaning everything that thoroughly everytime you wanna change, imo you get to the point of not wanting to change it until the shelf-life goes :]

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice!

The power saving on these 9xx series cards is pretty awesome.

GTX780 - 250w TDP
GTX980 - 165w TDP

Do more, less power.

Half tempted to go with a pair of 970's. In the benches I've seen they're on par if not better than a 780Ti, an impressive feat for a sub £300 card!

Yaris Hybrid
Really impressed with the drop in power consumption and those 770's look like a great deal especially in SLI.

As I'm already using 780's I think I am going to wait for the 980ti though.

I was tempted to upgrade because "must have the latest stuff" but I've lost so much money doing that over the years I've learned my lesson!

When I move 980ti SLI I will probably step back up to a higher resolution GSYNC monitor as I previously dropped down from 1440p to 1080p. Got a nice big four figure bonus in the pay packet this month but will do the decent thing and slap it in the ISA!

Cool :) I fancy an upgrade, but not sure what to go for (2x 290's under water atm) - don't think I'll go Crossfire again, maybe Nvidia version, but never Crossfire. Most things run better with it disabled!

You get through a lot of hardware!

I presume you sold previous GPUs before too much money was lost?

I REALLY need to clean my 540 though, haven't done for a few months, and there is clearly dust everywhere atm, temps are up a little too - but it's just having the motivation to do it!

On another note, should be helping my dad build his PC over the weekend, he's gone with a full new setup, will post specs a bit later but watercooled, the latest Asus Formula board etc etc, gonna be a nice build!

Evo 5 RS
The efficiency considering the performance jump is absurd lol.

You seen the specs for Ultra settings in LOTR, @SharkyUK ? 6GB for ultra :p

I do think coupled with it being an NV sponsored game that's them trying to clear Titan inventory :p.

If GM200 / Titan 2 doesn't come with at least 8GB VRAM I'll be very surprised.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
The efficiency considering the performance jump is absurd lol.

You seen the specs for Ultra settings in LOTR, @SharkyUK ? 6GB for ultra :p

I do think coupled with it being an NV sponsored game that's them trying to clear Titan inventory :p.

If GM200 / Titan 2 doesn't come with at least 8GB VRAM I'll be very surprised.
Yeah, definitely trying to clear the Titans out! LOL!

Talking of VRAM, I see that The Evil Within has gone gold and they are recommending 4GB VRAM as minimum. FFS! I never saw that one coming... :p

I'll probably hang on for the 6GB GTX 980 Ti SC...

Evo 5 RS
won't be 6GB mate on 256bit bus, will have to be 8gb lol.

No word on them yet. I don't think they'll do one personally, they won't want to tread on Titan Blacks toes just yet. They'll be saving that for full fat Maxwell in Q1 next year.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
won't be 6GB mate on 256bit bus, will have to be 8gb lol.

No word on them yet. I don't think they'll do one personally, they won't want to tread on Titan Blacks toes just yet. They'll be saving that for full fat Maxwell in Q1 next year.
LOL! Typing fail. :eek:

Yeah, I'm kinda disappointed that we aren't seeing the full-fat versions yet but I guess nVidia will keep on milking the cash cow for as long as they can. I can't say I blame them. Business is business and all that. I really envy that reduction in TDP that the new architecture affords... I think I'll just hang on a little longer and see what is release during the first half of next year. I'm in no rush. So I keep telling myself.