ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
My G.Skill worked perfectly in that MB, plugged it in switched XMP on and have never touched it since, worked from day 1 @ 3200MHz. If it was bought via Amazon just raise a return and DPD will collect it from you or you can take it to a collect point for a full refund, I'd just order another set in the meantime.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
My G.Skill worked perfectly in that MB, plugged it in switched XMP on and have never touched it since, worked from day 1 @ 3200MHz. If it was bought via Amazon just raise a return and DPD will collect it from you or you can take it to a collect point for a full refund, I'd just order another set in the meantime.

I wish mine did m8 - the only issue I've had so far! :)

I really can't get over just how much BIOS's have improved in recent years. Complete chalk & cheese difference.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I wish mine did m8 - the only issue I've had so far! :)

I really can't get over just how much BIOS's have improved in recent years. Complete chalk & cheese difference.
It's not even a BIOS anymore technically speaking it's the UEFI. Think the only people using a BIOS in gaming grade stuff and consumer based is gigabyte and the GUI based BIOS.

Evo 5 RS
put the res on the P5. Waiting on the EK matt black tubing, and the board and CPU. The rest is parts I've had laying around. This is really for the sake of cooling BWE lol, function over form. Although it will be wall mounted

eOQtN3m.jpg

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
6950x is coming in at 1,400 quid with the VAT. f**k that! Think I might be getting a 6900K engineering sample hopefully
I won't lie - I was seriously contemplating some multi-core goodness but the prices are just ridiculous. I think I'm just going to stay with my current setup and then upgrade the whole rig when Big Pascal comes along. I don't think I'm even going to bother with any of the 'X' extreme stuff. I'll just stick to the higher spec K processors as they are more than adequate for most of the stuff I do.

AMD's RX480 has been announced... 200 dollars. Apparently directed at the new 1070
http://www.techpowerup.com/223040/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-launched-at-usd-199
I imagine the 8GB version will be another 50-60 dollars expensive but it's still a great price IF the real world performance delivers as AMD are stating. It could really upset the apple cart if it does. Whilst the rumoured nVidia 1060 might be in line to compete with it I don't see how nVidia will match that price at that alleged performance level. Interesting.

The bloody Asus Strix 1080 I was looking at has gone up by £30 on pre-order. Feckers. Might look at the EVGA one instead.
That's a shame mate. But you can always have my 980Ti SC for £500 if you want? :tonguewink: It's a bit of a beast and will comfortably outperform a stock 1070...

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I like Corsair's GTX1080 watercooled setup.

I like more the possibility of watercooling a 1080ti. That will be very, very cool.

Shame I can't just smack in a 240mm rad. Curse you CD drive.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Is there any advantage (besides cores) of the enthusiast K range compared to normal K processors (assuming you're only using 1 GPU)
For gaming no. No games are really taking advantage of and more cores than 4. And if you're only using 1 GPU and not multiple whilst using m.2 storage and sata express etc then you don't need the extra PCIe lanes they provide either.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
For gaming no. No games are really taking advantage of and more cores than 4. And if you're only using 1 GPU and not multiple whilst using m.2 storage and sata express etc then you don't need the extra PCIe lanes they provide either.
Yes that's where I was going with that question. M2 SSD and a PCI-e sound card take up a couple of lanes each am I right? Then the GPU wants 16 (but even if it only gets 8 I believe it still has more than enough bandwidth).

Evo 5 RS
I won't lie - I was seriously contemplating some multi-core goodness but the prices are just ridiculous. I think I'm just going to stay with my current setup and then upgrade the whole rig when Big Pascal comes along. I don't think I'm even going to bother with any of the 'X' extreme stuff. I'll just stick to the higher spec K processors as they are more than adequate for most of the stuff I do.

I imagine the 8GB version will be another 50-60 dollars expensive but it's still a great price IF the real world performance delivers as AMD are stating. It could really upset the apple cart if it does. Whilst the rumoured nVidia 1060 might be in line to compete with it I don't see how nVidia will match that price at that alleged performance level. Interesting.

That's a shame mate. But you can always have my 980Ti SC for £500 if you want? :tonguewink: It's a bit of a beast and will comfortably outperform a stock 1070...

I can't justify that price. I'm waiting on a 6900K hopefully. 8 core is pleeeeenty. It's just that poor e-peen that is hurt here. For those that want the absolute-uncompromising CPU and do a lot of simulation, rendering or visualization then it's justifiable. A lot of folks are screaming murder that there are Xeon alternatives already available, but before you go anywhere with that argument...you can't overclock a single aspect of these lol.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
1070 launch today, if you can call it that. They will no doubt have nowhere near enough cards to go around and it'll be a farce like the 1080 launch.

Still don't know if I'll go for an FE one, or just wait for an AIB card

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
At last, nVidia are 'dropping' support for 3- and 4-way SLI support. I think this is a good thing. It's only really proven useful for enthusiasts who are more concerned with benchmark results rather than gaming. This means nVidia's efforts will be focused on their new high-bandwidth bridge solution for 2-way setups and also (hopefully) will reduce the headaches associated with SLI setups.

With the GeForce 10-series we’re investing heavily in 2-way SLI with our new High Bandwidth bridge (which doubles the SLI bandwidth for faster, smoother gaming at ultra-high resolutions and refresh rates) and NVIDIA Game Ready Driver SLI profiles. To ensure the best possible gaming experience on our GeForce 10-series GPUs, we’re focusing our efforts on 2-way SLI only and will continue to include 2-way SLI profiles in our Game Ready Drivers.

DX12 and NVIDIA VR Works SLI technology also allows developers to directly implement and control multi-GPU support within their games. If a developer chooses to use these technologies then their game will not need SLI profiles. Some developers may also decide to support more than 2 GPUs in their games. We continue to work with all developers creating games and VR applications that take advantage of 2 or more GPUs to make sure they’ll work great on GeForce 10-series GPUs. For our overclocking community, our Game Ready Drivers will also include SLI profiles for 3- and 4-way configurations for specific OC applications only, including Fire Strike, Unigine and Catzilla.

Single GPU is still the best way... :tonguewink:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Ordered a 1070 FE from Scan. OCUK's site has s**t the bed again
Good call. Despite being a somewhat 'castrated' GPU (that's probably a bit harsh as it's a good GPU) it still represents excellent performance at a pretty decent price point. Reviews put it on an almost identical performance level as my overclocked 980Ti but for a fair chunk less than what I paid. And obviously newer tech. The Pascal architecture is VERY similar to Maxwell so the move to 16nm has obviously reaped rewards. Enjoy!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I think I've contracted something from browsing the OCUK forums for too long. So much whinging on there about the price of entirely non essential purchases. It's a den of self important wazzocks who can't grasp basic economics.

@SharkyUK - I'm replacing a 670 with it, even a calculator would be a step up

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm replacing a 670 with it, even a calculator would be a step up
FLOL! Funny you should say that... I'm eagerly awaiting Texas Instrument's entry into the GPU market... :tonguewink:

Joking aside, it's (the 1070) the GPU I would recommend - or use - in builds for other folks. I do think it will sell very, very well. I only go for the higher-end stuff because I'm a soft-lad and like to waste my money (although I pretend it's for work-related reasons so that I can at least sleep a little easier at night). Looking forward to your impressions of the card once it's arrived and installed. :up:

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
FLOL! Funny you should say that... I'm eagerly awaiting Texas Instrument's entry into the GPU market... :tonguewink:

Joking aside, it's (the 1070) the GPU I would recommend - or use - in builds for other folks. I do think it will sell very, very well. I only go for the higher-end stuff because I'm a soft-lad and like to waste my money (although I pretend it's for work-related reasons so that I can at least sleep a little easier at night). Looking forward to your impressions of the card once it's arrived and installed. :up:
For the resolution I currently (and probably for a fair while yet) I game in (1080p) it really makes no sense getting a 1080 even for future proofing. If I do get a 1440p monitor at some point, the 1070 will still be fine

Hopefully the card will arrive tomorrow, it's currently in an Awaiting Picking state at Scan. Shall attempt to do some sort of first impressions

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK - You'll probably know the answer to this one. Do new cards come with HDMI cables now? I'm still rocking 2x DVI, which the new card won't allow for.. so need to find out if I need to go and buy some HDMI cables or whether it'll be bundled with some

Evo 5 RS
I think I've contracted something from browsing the OCUK forums for too long. So much whinging on there about the price of entirely non essential purchases. It's a den of self important wazzocks who can't grasp basic economics.

@SharkyUK - I'm replacing a 670 with it, even a calculator would be a step up

Yeah, that sub section needs culling. Absolute bunch of retards. Go grab a PS4 and f**k off.

Evo 5 RS
I think most of them must still live in mummy and daddy's house and work part time in a supermarket

Probably not far off. I know a few of the regular moaners are on the dole lol. I only go on there now to wind the 'i've been building pc's for 20 years' types in the memory subsection

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Probably not far off. I know a few of the regular moaners are on the dole lol. I only go on there now to wind the 'i've been building pc's for 20 years' types in the memory subsection
Hah. So the ones that buy a x80 card and then say they are going to live on beans for the month aren't exaggerating

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
f**k me this looks good!

image.jpg

Guess I know what I'll be doing with mine! They solved the issue with the optical drive blocking the top 240mm radiator space too, by inverting the front panel.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Please regard this email as an active notification of a delay in your order, due to a temporary shortage in stock of the following item:

1. LN72890 - Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition
This product is still on pre-order. We expected to receive more stock on 09 June 2016 but the delivery has been delayed by the manufacturer.

So it was never in stock then. f**king arseholes have charged my card anyway! Going to cancel the order and send them a shitty email.

Could have ordered it from anywhere else if they'd have updated this 3+ hours ago when other places still had stock. This is why I don't buy graphics cards.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Hah. So the ones that buy a x80 card and then say they are going to live on beans for the month aren't exaggerating

Not as bad as the ones that say "If the 1080 is twice as fast as a 980Ti and costs £50 then I'll get one" then you look at their signature and it says GTX760 or something.

Evo 5 RS
Please regard this email as an active notification of a delay in your order, due to a temporary shortage in stock of the following item:

1. LN72890 - Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition
This product is still on pre-order. We expected to receive more stock on 09 June 2016 but the delivery has been delayed by the manufacturer.

So it was never in stock then. f**king arseholes have charged my card anyway! Going to cancel the order and send them a shitty email.

Could have ordered it from anywhere else if they'd have updated this 3+ hours ago when other places still had stock. This is why I don't buy graphics cards.

Scan can be really f**king annoying.