ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
I had an AX1200i and yes I can concur it's s**t. Nothing like the AX1200 before it. Seasonic no longer make them so that's probably why. Heard people running 3 Titans with the 1200i and it falling over. Not good! Mine also buzzed. Sorry you've had s**t luck with GPUs! Hopefully I won't follow :D Rig looks ace btw

How you getting on with the SuperFlower mate?

IIRC SuperFlower manufacture the EVGA's too.

Thanks mate! Still some changes to make, but getting there.

Bumder With A Buffer
My D5 pump is making a noise , in fact it has done since I got it but just ignored it as I had it set at speed 1. But I sat down tonight and spent a bit of time playing with pump speed and noticed that at about speed 3 it gives me over 1 degree drop in loop temperature.

But its got an annoying "rattle" to it. Anything between 2-3 and it sounds like this, I thought it was resonating into the case but its not.

[youtube]fAkZzHbO0bQ[/youtube]

Unsure what to do, its an xspc one with an xspc top

Ive got i7, 8GB ram, 1TB hard drive, 1GB xfx graphics card, HAF case, msi motherboard with a overclocking button and touch bios, running off a corsair silver (i think) power box.

Evo 5 RS
|I've got an aquacool D5 running on speed 3, had it for over 2 years and it's silent. Got two XSPC D5s in my 900D now though. They're all the same for the most part just different controllers. Yours sounds fecked though.

One down, two to go.

himu.jpg

I also bought a 360 controller wireless receiver, so it's not all gone to f*ck land. Forgot to include that I got a Razer Deathadder mouse and a CPU Hyper Cooler Evo 212, as well as Windows 8.1 and some other sh*t to contribute towards a fully operational battle station. Or PC.

Not only that, but I'll still be using the XB1 a lot, especially for the multiplayer LOL's.

But yeah, best part of £1200 gone.

360 controller is essential. There are many many games that suck with K&M.

Welcome to the PC Master Race x

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Both my D5s run silently, I've got two also (Swiftech with EK tops) I've had one of them for a number of years now with no problems.

Yeah that D5 doesn't sound good, mine new one makes some sort of weird sound if I turn it right up to 5, but turning it back 1mm stops the sound, so was never bothered with it. Though having that sound at that low is a bit bad imo.

I run mine at 5 24/7, but only as I'm mining 24/7 :)
Silent_Scone I can't wait for your frustrations fitting the EK triple block thing :D

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
What about noise level with increased speed??

I don't really hear them at all tbh, they are mounted via the tops using plastic / rubber mounts to the side of the drive cages and face downwards into the bottom of the case, I have to check them physically periodically to make sure they are both operating properly.

Evo 5 RS
Testing each card individually. Addicted I've decided to use adjustable fittings instead ;). Not tried fitting the bridge, but there's a chunk out of the front and I'm being anal for now.

The Koolance QDCs are a god send. First card in yesterday and had a quick run (completely passive so no fans). CPU at 4.7Ghz 1.4V and GPU at 1.212v (Max stock volts). Water temp didn't exceed 38c and CPU 60C after 5 runs of Heaven 4.0 :)

Great thing is about the QDCs soon as I'm done testing it just a quick ping on both ends and it's out. Minimal spillage.

avte.jpg

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I can't seem to get any sound from the machine at all, unless I plug in an external speaker. It clearly has onboard sound (the motherboard pretty much caters for everything) but I just don't know how to get it to play using the internal speakers, if it even has any?! Like I say, external plugged in speakers work fine.

The sound is working find through that one speaker I've plugged in to the green jack. So to play sound through the TV I'd need to connect a sound card to my graphics card via SPDIF, I can then run a HDMI lead to the TV? Can I not link from the onboard sound to the GPU? Moreso, will the GTX 780 not have this capability anyway as soon as I run a HDMI from it to the Panasonic TV?

Basically, I'd ideally like the sound output from the TV.

Worth noting that I'm currently running a HDMI from the motherboard to the TV. Video is absolutely fine but no sound (apart from the external plug in speaker)

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS
You're running the HDMI from the motherboard? Needs to output from the 780. You'll be using the onboard video otherwise. You run from the 780 via HDMI to the TV it carries audio, with no performance loss

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
lol no problem. I was a little confused myself so wasn't meaning to sound narky

Didn't sound narky at all. I'm basically running a HDMI lead currently from the motherboard HDMI port to the TV, as my GPU doesn't arrive until today. So that's got me by over the weekend to install Windows 8.1 etc.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
One thing I didn't do which a few people have now slapped my wrists over, is use the stand off's for mounting the motherboard. I used this guide here to build my system as I'm using the exact same motherboard (Asus Z87 Pro):

He didn't use any stand off's and basically screwed the mobo to the case, which is what I've followed. So now I'm unsure whether to take it all apart again and start again using the stand off's, or just leave it be, as it's working fine at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
What!?

Were there not standoffs preinstalled on the case anyway? Surely the mobo screws are different threads to the standoffs?

Please whatever you do, turn it off and install the standoffs, something will short.

If you have no standoffs the mobo would be at the wrong height, and the back connectivity wouldnt fit through the hole :S

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
What!?

Were there not standoffs preinstalled on the case anyway? Surely the mobo screws are different threads to the standoffs?

Please whatever you do, turn it off and install the standoffs, something will short.

If you have no standoffs the mobo would be at the wrong height, and the back connectivity wouldnt fit through the hole :S

PMSL. Will sort it all out tonight. The standoffs were in a box with the case, so not pre-installed.

Cheers.

Evo 5 RS
Aye Skyrim looks amazing with the latest ENB mods. Some of the water effects you can get now are next gen worthy. I've tried to start from scratch modding it but lost interest via steam workshop. A lot of mods don't work well with ENB series and it's a bit of a mare getting the right config.

Aye Skyrim looks amazing with the latest ENB mods. Some of the water effects you can get now are next gen worthy. I've tried to start from scratch modding it but lost interest via steam workshop. A lot of mods don't work well with ENB series and it's a bit of a mare getting the right config.

I found this - bought Skyrim over the steam sale and tried to get it right via NexusMods or the Workshop, both times I couldn't get it looking good, or had conflicting mods and gave up :(.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Just benchmarked my GTX780 using the Valley Benchmark program on the disc that comes with the card. As an aside, what a lovely benchmark that is, some beautiful scenery and lighting effects to test the capability of the card.

This is the results on Ultra setting:

photo_zpsccdff989.jpg

Will test on Basic settings now.

Last edited:

AK

M240i
Just benchmarked my GTX780 using the Valley Benchmark program on the disc that comes with the card. As an aside, what a lovely benchmark that is, some beautiful scenery and lighting effects to test the capability of the card.

photo_zps7b1b04b5.jpg

You've installed the graphics card upside down.

F82 M4

photo_zps7b1b04b5.jpg

Nice mate :cool:

Although, let me introduce you to the print screen button :p

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I still can't bring myself to press the 'Checkout' button for my PC upgrade / build. But seeing the kit in here takes me closer each day... must resist a short while longer. Must. :(

340i
Since looking at a PC build for bomber I've got an overwhelming eurge to build my own system even though I already have a Media Server, a very decent spec i5 laptop, iPad and access to a decent workstation in the office.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Just get your arse on Steam and buy lots of games ;)

I did that last week on Friday when they had the sale on.

Skyrim Legendary Edition
Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition
Borderlands 2
The Stanley Parables
Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition
Dishonoured

All for £25.

Fiesta ST

photo_zpsccdff989.jpg

Beat me just ;)

Untitled.jpg