ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
I did that last week on Friday when they had the sale on.

Skyrim Legendary Edition
Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition
Borderlands 2
The Stanley Parables
Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition
Dishonoured

All for £25.

Just completed Witcher 2.

Freaking awesome game when you get into it.

So easy to miss a lot of the game if you don't look for it too. Get cracking!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Getting a few random freezes which result in either BSOD or the requirement to hard reset the system (power button down for 3 seconds). Usually occurs on the desktop, but first happened when trying to play Borderlands 2 (system just hung during the intro). I'm sure it's a driver error as a LOT of people are having similar issues from doing searches. Very annoying when you're browsing on the internet and the mouse cursor just stops responding which ultimately leads to the keyboard failing and the system crashing/freezing.

I did get an Nvidia driver update dialogue box last night with the latest drivers including the GTX 780 (240MB) so downloaded that, but honestly can't remember if I got any crashes after that was installed. Must have froze about 5 times in total yesterday evening though.

Shouldn't have to roll back to a previous driver or beta but I may have to for stability.

I didn't spend too much in the sales this year, About £40 roughly, Two best games I had in the sales were Hitman Absolution and Saints Row 4.
Hitman was awesome, so many options to choose from and just really nice visually too.

Saints Row 4 just because how stupidly funny it was, completely over the top and I actually loved it. My game did f**k up when I first started as when I collected my first cluster I got 99999 of them. So a bit of an advantage but I still go around collecting them just to get the achievement before I complete the game.

I just got Surgeon Simulator in the HumbleBundle too, so will be giving that a go today :D

340i
Getting a few random freezes which result in either BSOD or the requirement to hard reset the system (power button down for 3 seconds). Usually occurs on the desktop, but first happened when trying to play Borderlands 2 (system just hung during the intro). I'm sure it's a driver error as a LOT of people are having similar issues from doing searches. Very annoying when you're browsing on the internet and the mouse cursor just stops responding which ultimately leads to the keyboard failing and the system crashing/freezing.

I did get an Nvidia driver update dialogue box last night with the latest drivers including the GTX 780 (240MB) so downloaded that, but honestly can't remember if I got any crashes after that was installed. Must have froze about 5 times in total yesterday evening though.

Shouldn't have to roll back to a previous driver or beta but I may have to for stability.

Do you have the latest nvidia driver? - Version 332.21 was released yesterday. Might be worth running a manual download / install?

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/71782/en-uk

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Do you have the latest nvidia driver? - Version 332.21 was released yesterday. Might be worth running a manual download / install?

That's the one I mentioned in my post Kieran. Downloaded it as soon as it flashed up along with the relevant software etc.

Also, correct my overclocking process if it's way out, but I tried going into BIOS and manually setting my Core CPU Voltage to 1.25V. I then went to change the multiplier "Per Individual Core" (could have the wording wrong) and set each one to 48. I believe there were 6 cores. I did a save and reset and the system didn't even get back to the BIOS so I had to do a hard reboot. Once I got past the BIOS I got a warning screen saying Overclock failed, so I must have set the multiplier too high?

I tried then setting it to 43 and it got past the BIOS but every time it got to the windows logo the system would reboot (did it about 4 or 5 times) so I assumed it failed that too. In the end I just gave up with it and set back to defaults and switched my profile back to XMP (1600MHz RAM).

Was just a little confusing for me really as it was my first attempt.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
You really don't need to overclock that system at all mate.

TBH, I was just trying to see how it worked. When I've gone to play a game, it's recommended Ultra settings on them all, Skyrim included. Just getting used to it TBH.

Cheers.

F82 M4
Ah fair enough mate. I'd highly recommend a liquid cooler if you're playing with overclocks though, forget about air cooling IMO.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Ah fair enough mate. I'd highly recommend a liquid cooler if you're playing with overclocks though, forget about air cooling IMO.

Yeah that's something I just don't want to get into. The Hyper Cooler 212 EVO is a big unit so that's going to do for me now.

More concerned with the freezing but I'm 99% it's video driver related.

F82 M4
Yeah I have the CM 212 as well, cracking for air cooling. All my cores idle at around 24c~.

Did you get the freezing before you installed the 780?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
This was using Unigine Heaven benchmark, Extreme on Ultra settings with 8xAA and full screen as requested:

HeavenBenchmarkStock_zpsb5735459.jpg

F82 M4
Nope :clown:

Good old Nvidia.

Re-download the latest driver manually mate. When you install it there will be a check box for "perform a clean install" or something along those lines. That'll make sure that all previous drivers are removed before installing the new ones. Give that a whirl as there could be some conflicting previous driver issue somewhere.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Re-download the latest driver manually mate. When you install it there will be a check box for "perform a clean install" or something along those lines. That'll make sure that all previous drivers are removed before installing the new ones. Give that a whirl as there could be some conflicting previous driver issue somewhere.

Ahh ok. Thanks! :)

340i

Ahh ok. Thanks! :)

That's what I meant but wilky1107 explained it better!

Download the driver, perform a clean isntallation. We've had problems on our Quadro workstations when overwriting previous versions of drivers. I ALWAYS perform a clean install on drivers now.

Bumder With A Buffer
Scone:-

RE Skyrim "mods"

IS it the "ENB" stuff from here??

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30936

From there I guess I would just install the real vision installer from the "files" tab and away I go. Just a bit confusing what to install as under the description on the link I posted it gives a list of recommended mods

RX7 FD
Scutch your VCore was way too low for 4.8Ghz on a Haswell processor there. It would struggle to be stable at 4.3Ghz as you are finding out.

To give you a reference I am running an i74770K @ 4.4Ghz stable with a VCore of 1.275 at the moment. Depending on if you have a good chip or not the amount of VCore needed to keep a stable overclock will vary and will definitely affect how high you can clock.

Evo 5 RS

RE Skyrim "mods"

From there I guess I would just install the real vision installer from the "files" tab and away I go. Just a bit confusing what to install as under the description on the link I posted it gives a list of recommended mods

ENB is written by some Russian chap, the stuff you're finding on Nexus is peoples adoptions of his code. Some look better than others but it's down to personal prefs. Real Vision is a good ENB though :)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

RE Skyrim "mods"

Yeah I've had that mod favourited for a while, purely because of the Installation content in his actual post. I'm planning on installing everything he's recommended in his list as well as the optional files. His videos look great and he's listed everything he's using to get his Skyrim looking like that. A lot of the jargon and info is confusing (load lists and BOSS etc) but Gopher on Youtube has some brilliant guides on how to do modding in Skyrim including how to use BOSS, SKSE, SkyUI etc. etc.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GophersVids?feature=watch

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Scutch your VCore was way too low for 4.8Ghz on a Haswell processor there. It would struggle to be stable at 4.3Ghz as you are finding out.

To give you a reference I am running an i74770K @ 4.4Ghz stable with a VCore of 1.275 at the moment. Depending on if you have a good chip or not the amount of VCore needed to keep a stable overclock will vary and will definitely affect how high you can clock.

Thanks mate. Like I said to Wilky, I'm not sure I need to OC at all, I was just having a dabble.

Evo 5 RS
I only ever OC for benchmarking. It's largely pointless when gaming at the moment. If you're having performance issues in games, the few FPS gained from OC'ing normally doesn't cut it. It's either wait for a fix or go SLI :D

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't overclocked this current PC in the year and a bit I've had it, just no need anymore. It throttles the GPU and CPU up when needed anyway.

Evo 5 RS
Three 780Tis at 1080P are a bottleneck anyway. Need 6Ghz at least to remove it in some games/benches where it becomes an issue.

It's like when people are talking about buying three or four EVGA Classified cards. What's the point. Your CPU will bottleneck and you might as well buy the reference ones.

RX7 FD
I think I will stick to just Crossfire/SLI'ing 2 cards max. End up waiting on the new dual 290 GPU to replace the 7990 now!

Then why do you have 3x 780Ti's....because you can :D

Bumder With A Buffer
I thought I'd do a heaven benchmark too just to compare the 7990 vs scutchs gtx (I was torn between the 2)

IMG_20140108_195326.jpg

Not that much difference.

Not a 320d
ENB is written by some Russian chap, the stuff you're finding on Nexus is peoples adoptions of his code. Some look better than others but it's down to personal prefs. Real Vision is a good ENB though :)

Yeah I've had that mod favourited for a while, purely because of the Installation content in his actual post. I'm planning on installing everything he's recommended in his list as well as the optional files. His videos look great and he's listed everything he's using to get his Skyrim looking like that. A lot of the jargon and info is confusing (load lists and BOSS etc) but Gopher on Youtube has some brilliant guides on how to do modding in Skyrim including how to use BOSS, SKSE, SkyUI etc. etc.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GophersVids?feature=watch

Just installed that. Got skyrim in the steam sales so my first time playing it. Graphis was pretty dated but the HD packs makes a great game even better.

Do they do decent HDpacks for Fallout?

Evo 5 RS
I thought I'd do a heaven benchmark too just to compare the 7990 vs scutchs gtx (I was torn between the 2)

Not that much difference.

AMD cards don't favour Heaven at all. It's tessellation heavy and they're a bit pants at it, wouldn't read to much into it as your setup will be substantially faster in most cases

F82 M4
My Heaven run -

heaven_2014_01_09_01_00_07_704.jpg

Not sure how I'm getting higher than yours Scone? :dapprove:

Am I missing something here? Seams quite impressive for 2 x 680's!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

RE Skyrim "mods"

Installed pretty much everything in that mods list in his description. Used Nexus Mod Mananger (NMM), TES5EDIT and BOSS to iron out any little errors in the load error etc. (there was only one during my build which was Climates of Tamriel.esp wasn't loading when I installed).

I then searched through the top files on Nexus mods and installed a few of those too, including Immersive Armour, Immersive Weapons, Animals etc. etc. Biggest mod was "Interesting NPCs" at 1.8GB! http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8429/?

Got so many mods now but it all runs with no problems at all. Even playing with the my 360 pad which is flawless - do want to get into K&M for this though. Nice to get back into Skyrim.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Oops - just 'accidentally' bought this lot...

• Intel Core i7 4770K (3.5GHz -x35)
  • Corsair H100i Hydro Series CPU Cooler
  • ASUS Z87 Deluxe Mobo
  • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM
  • 860W Corsair AX860i PSU (Fully Modular)
  • 3GB EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked GPU (7000MHz GDDR5, GPU 1006MHz / 1072MHz, 2880 Cores)
  • Samsung 840 EVO SSD's
  • Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 ATX Cube Case