ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Does it?

The reviews I've seen say it's generally 30-40% better than a 980Ti. So you'd have to have a pretty poor SLI profile for a single 1080 to perform better than 2x 980Tis... Unless I've read it wrong (which I haven't lol).

With regards to hype, I've not listened to hype on the computer front for a while but I'm sure it was the same as it's always been.
980s, not 980ti's

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
It's a pretty beefy card is the 1080, no doubt about it. As expected the hyped performance was (as always) more than the early benchmarks would suggest. That said, a real-world 20-40% improvement in general over a 980Ti is good (especially considering that's on a stock clock 1080). I think board partner offerings with overclocks will easily add another 15-20% to this... but at a price. My original comment still stands though... it doesn't offer enough over my 980Ti SC to justify spending another 700 quid at the moment. I'm going to wait (quite a while I feel) for the 1080Ti (or equivalent) which should be pretty special. And priced to suit 😧

Looking at the Pascal architecture it is quite similar to Maxwell. I think the biggest benefit for nVidia has been due to the move to 16nm FinFET.

It's interesting - what do you guys think of the benchmarks? Was it overhyped? It does mostly outdo 980's in SLI - mostly being the keyword.

Personally - yes I think the 1080 is excellent - BUT it may have just been over hyped a bit, especially in terms of 4K performance! (See benchmarks on YouTube to see what I mean...)

Opinions?
This why I still don't see 4K as a viable gaming resolution yet; even this card struggles unless you're prepared to forego some of the nice rendering effects, etc. It's a superb piece of hardware, but 4K is still not quite with us yet in my opinion.

I'm struggling to care in all honesty, maybe I've finally be doing this for too long? It certainly holds up well. The most impressive thing I saw was on the HardOCP review - where they pushed 2x SuperSampling through the 1080GTX whilst keeping SMAA on the 980Ti at 1440p, and it kept up a similar pace. That's pretty impressive. But for me personally, I just really don't feel the urge to go and spend £620 of my hard earned on it.
I have to agree - impressive yet... all a bit meh. I'd still buy one if I were looking to upgrade a 970/980 (non Ti) though.

It's all s**t. I find it amusing that it looks like they're trying to charge some kind of Enthusiast tax if you want to run conventional SLI past 2 cards - for which I'm sure they won't be supporting any better than they are now - which is woefully. Really struggling to stay interested.
I think this is a good thing as it's such a pain in the ass getting 2 (or more) cards to work nicely in SLI. nVidia's decision to effectively disregard multi-gpu setups of 2+ cards will likely annoy many but I think it's a good thing in general. It might mean better efforts for 2 card setups! Or, even better, it might mean better single card GPU solutions that do away with the need for multi-GPU setups! :tonguewink:

Evo 5 RS
GPUBOOST 3 is VID stack dependant still as well as temperature but a lot of the cards are 'throttling' in the reviews. Think these may perform very well on water too. Maxwell didn't really respond well to low ambient temps.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I expect to see board partners offering cards with additional power connectors as well for those who may want to take advantage... I'm sure I read that the base card has provisions already in place for an additional power connection.

Evo 5 RS
I expect to see board partners offering cards with additional power connectors as well for those who may want to take advantage... I'm sure I read that the base card has provisions already in place for an additional power connection.

I hate to think how much the Kingpin varient from EVGA will cost. Be interested to see how it scales under cold though! May not at all considering the clocks currently.

The specs for the GTX 1070 are a little underwhelming. The 8GB standard GDDR5 comes as no surprise, but means the bandwidth is effectively no where near that of the flagship. The core count is fairly low (can't be bothered to look it up but it's a little too many cut to make it seem all that appealing). However the entry price seems to reflect that. Guess it all depends how well it stacks up in the numbers game.

For the first time in a long time, I'm really thinking of sitting this one out till 'big' Pascal.

EDIT: f**k it, might as well put this here for anyone. Stole it from WCCF but can't be bothered to give them credit as I hate them.

VYVCfJ6.png

Last edited:

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
So I have an i5 3570k that hasn't been overclocked at all.. I don't want to upgrade the motherboard/RAM at the same time as the graphics card, but is it worth finding the i7 that'll fit in socket 1155 and fitting one of those at the same time for some extra boost?

F82 M4
So I have an i5 3570k that hasn't been overclocked at all.. I don't want to upgrade the motherboard/RAM at the same time as the graphics card, but is it worth finding the i7 that'll fit in socket 1155 and fitting one of those at the same time for some extra boost?
If it's only for gaming mate the 3570k will still be more than sufficient :)

Evo 5 RS
I came from a 5960x at 4.4 with 8 cores and 16 threads, to an i5 6600K at 4.6 with 4 cores and no Hyperthreading.

As far as gaming is concerned, not a single s**t was given. I'd happily pair a 1080GTX with it. 2 cards, X99 makes more sense.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I hate to think how much the Kingpin varient from EVGA will cost. Be interested to see how it scales under cold though! May not at all considering the clocks currently.

The specs for the GTX 1070 are a little underwhelming. The 8GB standard GDDR5 comes as no surprise, but means the bandwidth is effectively no where near that of the flagship. The core count is fairly low (can't be bothered to look it up but it's a little too many cut to make it seem all that appealing). However the entry price seems to reflect that. Guess it all depends how well it stacks up in the numbers game.

For the first time in a long time, I'm really thinking of sitting this one out till 'big' Pascal.
I think the Kingpin flagship model could easily be a £1000 card if they wait a while and adopt - say - a 512-bit bus and GB's of HBM2. The sad thing is that that's still potentially a long, long way off. Even when (if) it is released it's going to be in very limited numbers. I'm more than happy to sit this one out and wait for Big Pascal but I have to confess the 1080 stacks up well. If I didn't have the 980Ti I would jump in and get one.

As for the 1070... I think this will become the mainstream card. Despite the underwhelming specs and non-GDDR5X RAM it still promises a pretty good level of performance at a reasonable price (if ever you could call GPU pricing reasonable). It's probably the card I would recommend to folks upgrading to a 'gaming PC' unless they were enthusiasts with deeper pockets!

Evo 5 RS
I think the Kingpin flagship model could easily be a £1000 card if they wait a while and adopt - say - a 512-bit bus and GB's of HBM2. The sad thing is that that's still potentially a long, long way off. Even when (if) it is released it's going to be in very limited numbers. I'm more than happy to sit this one out and wait for Big Pascal but I have to confess the 1080 stacks up well. If I didn't have the 980Ti I would jump in and get one.

As for the 1070... I think this will become the mainstream card. Despite the underwhelming specs and non-GDDR5X RAM it still promises a pretty good level of performance at a reasonable price (if ever you could call GPU pricing reasonable). It's probably the card I would recommend to folks upgrading to a 'gaming PC' unless they were enthusiasts with deeper pockets!
Yeah, I'd still consider the 1070 if the performance is there, but it's a little underwhelming to what it could have been. Expected them to leave at least 2000 of the cores enabled lol. As for the Kingpin, I was talking about whatever they release for this gen, so the 1080GTX Kingpin rather than any Ti variant. £1,000 regardless of the power delivery is asking way too much this time round. Better of spending the extra money on a waterblock, or the Hybrid offerings.

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
Hi guys.

Been out of the PM scene for a good few years but looking to build up a machine shortly.

I'm really unsure between x99 or z170.

Machine will mainly be used for gaming, but also some 3D modelling, rendering etc.

Money's not really a factor, but I'd like to go with the motherboard / chipset which will give the most longevity in terms of future upgrades / future proofing.

What are people's thoughts?

Thanks ben

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting - looks like the 1070 could be a bit of a hit with the mainstream gamer community. Slightly underwhelming spec-wise but good performance at a good price. I feel this could make nVidia a fair bit of money. Especially as AMD are arguably floundering at the moment.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting - looks like the 1070 could be a bit of a hit with the mainstream gamer community. Slightly underwhelming spec-wise but good performance at a good price. I feel this could make nVidia a fair bit of money. Especially as AMD are arguably floundering at the moment.
If it has similar performance to the 980ti and is only a bit more expensive then I'll pick one up (or I'll wait for all the 980ti's to flood the second hand market and buy one of those)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Couple of interesting (maybe) developments today... the rumoured 1060 and Pascal Mobile. If rumours are to be believed then the mobile version of Pascal is offering Titan X beating performance fro the mobile market. Interesting, but perhaps take the rumours with a pinch of salt.

@Silent_Scone - aye, the 1080 is a good performer and more than a suitable replacement for the 980 - but I'm still going to sit it out and wait for Big Pascal. The temptation is strong though... dammit. My current 980Ti SC is only a few months old!

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
Can anyone give me a bit of advice re my question above? Also in either x99 or z170 what is considered the best ATX motherboard? Or eatx which will fit in a Phanteks Evolv case (264 wide max)? Thanks. So much to get head around!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Evo 5 RS
Can anyone give me a bit of advice re my question above? Also in either x99 or z170 what is considered the best ATX motherboard? Or eatx which will fit in a Phanteks Evolv case (264 wide max)? Thanks. So much to get head around!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If youre using it for rendering work then x99 makes more sense. Wait for the refresh of boards to hit the shelves in the coming weeks along with Broadwell-E.

ASUS for me everytime. Hopefully getting a Deluxe II.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Agreed you want X99 for more CPU intensive work, but you will pay extra for the CPU, that's why I went for the Z170 option as my PC is only taxed by gaming which is always more about GPU than CPU.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'd probably look for a decent Z170 based setup. I don't see the point in X99 unless you are predominantly looking at using your system as a 3D modelling / rendering workstation or some sort of server. As you are looking at mainly gaming on it then I'd go Z170. Also worth mentioning is the fact that a lot of renderers (commercial and otherwise) tend to offload their work to the GPU these days. Bottom line? Ensure you budget for a decent GPU :)

Evo 5 RS
To be fair Z170 is just as capable! Although i'm wanting to upgrade my 6600 to the i7. You can really notice the lack of hyperthreading in 2d work

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
Hi lads,

Thanks for your advice, in reality most of time spent will be gaming, so think I'm going to go the Z170 route with a 6700K.

Other than the built in water-cooling block, anyone know the difference between ASUS Maximus Hero and Formula versions?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
...so think I'm going to go the Z170 route with a 6700K.
Good call :)

Other than the built in water-cooling block, anyone know the difference between ASUS Maximus Hero and Formula versions?
Both boards use the same high-end components I believe, but the Hero is geared more towards the mainstream gamer hence the cheaper price. I also believe the Formula offers more fan headers and options for improved watercooling should you be looking to go down that route and are interested in tweaking and overclocking above and beyond stock. Not sure on the wireless and wireless connectivity side of things though... might be worth a quick Google.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I nearly had one of those 'f**k it' moments earlier on and drive the couple of miles over the tops to get to Scan. New CPU. New mobo. New memory.

Sanity kicked in and stopped me. Not necessarily logic however!

I think I'll be going Z170 too, paired with an i7 and hybrid cooling. Maybe...

Evo 5 RS
For gaming you can't go wrong, man.
Seeing as I may well be going for a 1080GTX eventually, felt right to opt in with the 6700K too. So will swap out the i5.

Although I will be building an X99 rig of sorts, I'm not sure what's happening with it yet. If I don't grab an engineering sample BWE chip, that might go on hold. Besides, being in the mainstream segment means my wallet can sleep at night :smiley:

Evo 5 RS
Good call :smile:

Both boards use the same high-end components I believe, but the Hero is geared more towards the mainstream gamer hence the cheaper price. I also believe the Formula offers more fan headers and options for improved watercooling should you be looking to go down that route and are interested in tweaking and overclocking above and beyond stock. Not sure on the wireless and wireless connectivity side of things though... might be worth a quick Google.

Both are very similar in terms of overclocking with memory and power delivery

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Setting my mind on the Asus Maximus VIII Formula. Although on paper, there's little differentiating between that and the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - I do want to go for the higher priced mobo.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Phase 1 shopping list, I think? Graphics card will be Phase 2 - with the intention at the minute of a 1080.

Might drop the memory to higher spec G-Skill 16GB instead?

Phase%201_zpscjrauyr5.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I didn't even notice a difference going from dual channel to single channel when one of the slots on my mobo went bad last year. With memory just buy a decent brand and as much as you can afford/warrant.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Your call really mate. Do you need 32GB? I'm currently down to 16GB and I've not noticed any difference whatsoever (other than when I'm doing something very memory intensive for development reasons). I'm just thinking of how you might save a few pennies given the Big Day... or for a better GPU :tonguewink:

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Phase 1 shopping list, I think? Graphics card will be Phase 2 - with the intention at the minute of a 1080.

Phase%201_zpscjrauyr5.jpg

I wouldn't worry about 32GB either, I've got 32GB in mine and its barely touched. What about M.2 though??