ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
So what's the up-to-date take on good racing sims for PC? (Ideally featuring 90's turbo-charged Japanese cars.)

I've got a 1080ti driving a pair of 27-inch 4K screens, and it ran the Project Cars 2 demo really well yesterday. First time I've ever gamed on this setup, and it's got me looking at Wheels&Pedals, but I don't know where to start re. Software. (I've always been XB/Forza.)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Turns out there is no Ti super after all:

The RTX 2080 Ti will remain at the top of Nvidia's product stack, lacking any form of "Super" replacement. This makes sense given Nvidia's lack of competition in the high-end of the graphics market.

I lol’d just reading this last page. @Rojer ‘s speed of replying seemed to dip after that post...

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone having issues with iCue (for Corsair stuff)?

It upgraded itself now won't even load anymore. Has to be the worst bit of configuration software on earth.. never buying Corsair again. Every time they upgrade iCue it breaks completely

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Last Corsair thing I bought was an H100i which whined like a b**ch and they were one of the worst companies I've had the misfortune of using for a warranty claim.

#NoToCorsairClub

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone having issues with iCue (for Corsair stuff)?

It upgraded itself now won't even load anymore. Has to be the worst bit of configuration software on earth.. never buying Corsair again. Every time they upgrade iCue it breaks completely

Yeah, LINK was infinitely better, fan speed control is utter rubbish on iCUE.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I’m forever having issues with iCue, Corsair do some decent kit but the software is pants.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
iCue can be a massive memory hog.

I've checked it a few times and touch wood - mine's been ok. I've seen some online instances were it's been using over 800MB memory - lol.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Got some SSDs going, if anyone needs anything decent.

2x 1TB 970 EVO M.2, unused - £120 each
1x 250GB 850 EVO 2.5", used - £30
4x 120GB S3500 120GB 2.5", unused - £30 each

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Upgraded my pc internals today.

- i7 4790K cpu unlocked.
- ASUS Z97-P M/B.
- 32gb vengeance pro ddr3 ram.
- one of those 1TB SSD M.2 hard drive things.
- gigabyte GeForce GTX OC 970 4gb. windforce graphics card.
- Corsair 550 PSU.

Not going to set the world alight by any means but I’m only upgrading so I can run COD modern warfare and enjoy a half decent image 😂

All in all it owes me about £350.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Tbf I’m still using an i5 4690K. The only thing it really struggles with is FSX and that’s purely single core. Gaming is allll GPU these days. There are a few exceptions, GTAV for example.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Upgraded my pc internals today.

- i7 4790K cpu unlocked.
- ASUS Z97-P M/B.
- 32gb vengeance pro ddr3 ram.
- one of those 1TB SSD M.2 hard drive things.
- gigabyte GeForce GTX OC 970 4gb. windforce graphics card.
- Corsair 550 PSU.

Not going to set the world alight by any means but I’m only upgrading so I can run COD modern warfare and enjoy a half decent image 😂

All in all it owes me about £350.

I thought that was your before spec haha was waiting for an updated spec list. Even so still a capable setup. I really need to start working on a new one.

Thinking about going Ryzen tbh.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I would build a nicer show piece however I don’t use it enough to warrant a £1500 spend.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I'd pop this here rather than in the general black friday deals thread as it's a bit niche.

£400 for a 20Tb NAS drive, a genuinely good deal according to the price tracking websites, assuming you are looking for a big NAS drive that is.

I need a backup and streaming box so what the hell. Deal ends in 12 hours.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I'd pop this here rather than in the general black friday deals thread as it's a bit niche.

£400 for a 20Tb NAS drive, a genuinely good deal according to the price tracking websites, assuming you are looking for a big NAS drive that is.

I need a backup and streaming box so what the hell. Deal ends in 12 hours.

Decent price, but I imagine that's 2x 10TB drives, so if you want some comfort/redundancy you're only going to get 10TB usable. (y)

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Yep it's 2x10, which even running in RAID 1 is still overkill for me. Need a backup solution for two PCs and one server plus a streaming box - all in about 7 TB worth of data assuming I back up absolutely everything.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yep it's 2x10, which even running in RAID 1 is still overkill for me. Need a backup solution for two PCs and one server plus a streaming box - all in about 7 TB worth of data assuming I back up absolutely everything.
That's some collection you must have there....?

1575031349959.png

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I forget that 7 TB is a lot of data generally for home stuff (for most people anyway), so I did giggle inside until I remembered that, hah.

(Work in storage)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I forget that 7 TB is a lot of data generally for home stuff (for most people anyway), so I did giggle inside until I remembered that, hah.

(Work in storage)

I had a customer ring me today moaning that they hadn’t allocated enough storage to something and were asking me how much more they needed.

They’d allocated 250GB instead of 500GB.

Said I’d loan them an USB stick if they were stuck they were groaning so much about it.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Anyone used a MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ARMOR OC card? Picked one up for peanuts so hoping it’s going to perform.

F82 M4
Right CS I need some help if possible with some weird PC problems. I've never had any issues with this PC build ever and then all of a sudden I have a couple over the space of a few days.

Firstly, my sound is totally fucked. It keeps popping and crackling, through headphones and speakers too. I've tried different headphones etc and it's all the same. I'm using a Sound BlasterX AE-5 so it's a half decent and newish card. It does the same if I use the onboard too, so I know it's not a sound card issue and I've also tried updating drivers. Also, whenever I watch a video of any sort, could be Youtube, VLC, iPlayer etc, after a few mins the video and audio slowly loose sync and it's dead fustrating. Resetting the video fixes it for 5 mins....

I downloaded Latencymon and it's giving the following -

Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.

It wasn't that long ago since a fresh install too, but maybe that's the fix?

The other issue is that I have 2 M2 drives, an SSD and 2 HDD's. If I plug both HDD's into the Sata then it shows neither, but if I plug in 1 at a time that shows fine lol. I'll try some different SATA ports for this issue though

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
A good card for all round uses - especially if you're at standard 1080 resolutions. More so if you've got it for peanuts.

Cool, paid £80 for it boxed. They sell for around £150 on eBay.

Will fit it tonight and have a go.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Right CS I need some help if possible with some weird PC problems. I've never had any issues with this PC build ever and then all of a sudden I have a couple over the space of a few days.

Firstly, my sound is totally fucked. It keeps popping and crackling, through headphones and speakers too. I've tried different headphones etc and it's all the same. I'm using a Sound BlasterX AE-5 so it's a half decent and newish card. It does the same if I use the onboard too, so I know it's not a sound card issue and I've also tried updating drivers. Also, whenever I watch a video of any sort, could be Youtube, VLC, iPlayer etc, after a few mins the video and audio slowly loose sync and it's dead fustrating. Resetting the video fixes it for 5 mins....

I downloaded Latencymon and it's giving the following -

Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.

It wasn't that long ago since a fresh install too, but maybe that's the fix?

The other issue is that I have 2 M2 drives, an SSD and 2 HDD's. If I plug both HDD's into the Sata then it shows neither, but if I plug in 1 at a time that shows fine lol. I'll try some different SATA ports for this issue though

You've a whole batch of issues going on there - lol. The clipping noise will likely be down to the bus getting saturated with data - there are too many resources/devices trying to buy time from the system (CPU & memory) and the whole thing simply isn't coping.

What mode do you currently have the SATA controller set to? RAID, AHCI or potentially IDE? There is a chance that the ports themselves (or controller) are damaged and simply don't recognise drives plugged into them. I've currently got an M.2, an SSD and 2x SATAs - and I know full well that I've got a couple of ports on the controller that are simply dead. No drive at any point is detected upon connection.

Is your main boot partition on two drives set to RAID1? That could explain the long boot time, if the controller is having a few on/off issues with the drives - it maybe attempting to rebuild the RAID volume each time.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Made that mistake already 👍 I now have a Corsair 750w which has all the correct connections 😂
My mistake - looks like 1x 8-pin?

I just got a new tv and it is connected to my pc via HDMI. When I turn the tv on it causes a 'disconnect' then 'connect' sound notification. Is there any way to disable the sound for the tv only?

F82 M4
You've a whole batch of issues going on there - lol. The clipping noise will likely be down to the bus getting saturated with data - there are too many resources/devices trying to buy time from the system (CPU & memory) and the whole thing simply isn't coping.

What mode do you currently have the SATA controller set to? RAID, AHCI or potentially IDE? There is a chance that the ports themselves (or controller) are damaged and simply don't recognise drives plugged into them. I've currently got an M.2, an SSD and 2x SATAs - and I know full well that I've got a couple of ports on the controller that are simply dead. No drive at any point is detected upon connection.

Is your main boot partition on two drives set to RAID1? That could explain the long boot time, if the controller is having a few on/off issues with the drives - it maybe attempting to rebuild the RAID volume each time.

It's running in AHCI mate, I've tried a few different suggestions from the interwebs to no avail. I'm just going to fresh format I think, even though it really wasn't that long ago when I did the last one. I wonder what has caused it, it's by no means a slow system etc. After I format I'm just going to install each program one by one and run Latencymon see if there's a specific culprit.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It's running in AHCI mate, I've tried a few different suggestions from the interwebs to no avail. I'm just going to fresh format I think, even though it really wasn't that long ago when I did the last one. I wonder what has caused it, it's by no means a slow system etc. After I format I'm just going to install each program one by one and run Latencymon see if there's a specific culprit.
With regards to the sound issue, it could simply be driver related - though that's never always fixed issues completely. Having had various Creative Labs cards going way back to the SoundBlaster 16 ASP, I did experience a lot of clipping with a card years ago. As a temporary measure, I switched to onboard audio and that stopped the issues immediately. I went back to SoundBlaster cards a couple of years later and all has been fine since.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Trying to decide what to do screen wise and wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

Running a Ryzen 2600X and 1070ti. Currently have a 27" iiyama 1080p 76hz monitor that I bought a couple of years ago to use with my old PC after an older monitor died so there is scope to be seeing a fair few more frames. Think the computer was averaging about 100fps on BFV last night with most things on Ultra.

Trying to tick the 144hz+ 1440p 27" G-Sync boxes seems to have led me to this, which I guess would then make the computer the weaker link but would easily last 5+ years and cover potential future hardware upgrades.

I've never tried 1440p, G-Sync or anything more than 76hz so presumably I'll soon forget the cost when it's all setup and running in front of me?! 😅