ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've never tried 1440p, G-Sync or anything more than 76hz so presumably I'll soon forget the cost when it's all setup and running in front of me?! 😅

Be a little open minded when it comes to G-Sync. You're still at the mercy of how well devs actually create the game that's in front of you. I've had occasional games that play a lot more smoothly with G-Sync switched off and a manual V-Sync applied. Although rare, it does happen. That said, when you do get a game running at 144Hz with G-Sync and its smooth as silk - then you know the purchase has been worth it.

1440 is my default resolution these days too. It's massively more appealing step-up over 1080, but I don't think much warrants going further and onto 4K yet.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
For that money I'd go with:

This has the added benefit of it being IPS screen as opposed to the TN panel in the one you linked.

Cheers. I was originally ignoring IPS panels aiming for max responsiveness, but did look at a few of the earlier. Found this review which seems to put that LG at the top of the input lag chart https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_tuf_gaming_vg27aq.htm#lag but it seems to have some super high speed mode which brings in other issues. Then I also find a comment from some random reddit person that it (either the LG or the new TUF IPS one) still feels slightly slower than a TN. :unsure:

Be a little open minded when it comes to G-Sync. You're still at the mercy of how well devs actually create the game that's in front of you. I've had occasional games that play a lot more smoothly with G-Sync switched off and a manual V-Sync applied. Although rare, it does happen. That said, when you do get a game running at 144Hz with G-Sync and its smooth as silk - then you know the purchase has been worth it.

1440 is my default resolution these days too. It's massively more appealing step-up over 1080, but I don't think much warrants going further and onto 4K yet.

Seems a popular opinion on the resolution. I tend to only play FPS games where the monitor will be setup and seem to have grown a try hard attitude to them, so not used V-Sync for a while or anything else that affects input lag.

4K GTA looks awesome. I even play old school cod4 in 4K. I don't know why you wouldn't get a 4K monitor these days unless it is tiny

I was thinking if I go 1440p at the desk then whenever I get a 4K TV in the living room I can try some more laid back games on that.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Cracking monitor mate, you'll love it. Had one for a while before going to an IPS 120hz 34inch superwide :)

Good to hear!

I think it's still in the lead in my head but will probably wait and think about it a bit more.

Superwide ones had crossed my mind (for spotting more enemies lol) but think I'd need to limit to 1080 there. Do you get much trouble with games not supporting it easily?

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Seems a popular opinion on the resolution. I tend to only play FPS games where the monitor will be setup and seem to have grown a try hard attitude to them, so not used V-Sync for a while or anything else that affects input lag.*

*Like that future frame rendering stuff in BFV.

I flicked G-Sync on when they "unlocked" it earlier in the year. Have had it on so long I need to turn it off again and double check if it actually made a difference on the cheapy iiyama.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
A bit off-topic but I do think that 4k really is going to be enough for a very, very long time. Given the advances in software and hardware upscaling technology, along with advances in temporally-based anti-aliasing and frame- blending/weighting... image quality is getting better and better.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Seems a popular opinion on the resolution. I tend to only play FPS games where the monitor will be setup and seem to have grown a try hard attitude to them, so not used V-Sync for a while or anything else that affects input lag.

That in itself is more than enough reason to get a G-Sync monitor. It really is one of those situations within an FPS where the output more than justifies the outlay.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
4K @ 120hz will be the daddy. 4K at the same screen size as QHD (2560x1440) has INSANE detail. 4K is more of a standard resolution for panels too so should really come down in price as the panels become widely used. QHD high refresh rate was mega money when it came out it's since more than halved in a few years.

I tend to agree with Sharky in that 4K will be good for years. FullHD lasted years and years. QHD is very much an inbetween resolution and will be phased out as 4K panels become the norm.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Having just bought my lad a PC with some very good advice again from chaps on here, to get a PC to run in decent 4k at anything over 100 fps will cost you close to 2K?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It's running in AHCI mate, I've tried a few different suggestions from the interwebs to no avail. I'm just going to fresh format I think, even though it really wasn't that long ago when I did the last one. I wonder what has caused it, it's by no means a slow system etc. After I format I'm just going to install each program one by one and run Latencymon see if there's a specific culprit.
The other possibility (and apologies if this sounds a bit patronising) is to check on the drivers themselves.

Creative say that I have the latest ones on their website. Yet a simple check here revealed and installed much newer ones from Creative. Be wary of 'Microsoft official' ones too - especially in light of v1909 of recently being released.

1576337128707.png

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Swapped out my main drive on the PC yesterday for a Samsung 970 Evo (thanks again @adamlstr (y))

I've attached some performance stats of the difference in speed, not only with my previous M.2 drive - but for comparison, my 2x 2.0TB 7.2K SATA drives in RAID0. Pretty impressive improvement....

Previous Sandisk SSD:-

1576740583501.png

Intel RAID0:-

1576740623467.png

Samsung 970 Evo:- (the app switched to German for some reason?? :p)

1576740661287.png

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Ended up collecting the PG278QE monitor yesterday. Seems decent although the first thing I did was pull up a white screen and go over it and think I've found a couple of specs of dust in it. They don't seem like dead pixels as I can zoom in on a photo of them and the pixels seem ok, Also seem to move left/right if I line my mouse up with them and look from different angles. Have got in touch with Overclockers so will see what happens.

Had a go on a couple of games yesterday and I'm impressed, just need a proper session later tonight!

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Ended up collecting the PG278QE monitor yesterday. Seems decent although the first thing I did was pull up a white screen and go over it and think I've found a couple of specs of dust in it. They don't seem like dead pixels as I can zoom in on a photo of them and the pixels seem ok, Also seem to move left/right if I line my mouse up with them and look from different angles. Have got in touch with Overclockers so will see what happens.

Had a go on a couple of games yesterday and I'm impressed, just need a proper session later tonight!

Sent them pictures, seemed to indicate I could get a replacement so went up there earlier. They took it into the back room and looked at it and told me there was nothing wrong with it. Asked a couple of times if I could go back and point them out so did but there was still nothing wrong with it so just got a refund.
I get that I'm a perfectionist and that they might need to keep telling me that there's nothing wrong with it to stay in line with the ASUS policy even if they can see a small defect but it's almost as though nobody bothered to look at the pictures and just warn me that they'd probably not be able to replace it before I got there lol.

Edit: I was happy with the screen (other than the above issue) once I'd tweaked the gamma in NVIDIA control panel, it was really washed out looking beforehand.

Setup finally complete, loving the switch from consoles :)

View attachment 1445440

Very clean! I need to redecorate to get to that level lol.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Another heads-up with a fairly obvious point. G-Sync and Freesync values are one thing - but Windows still thinks it knows best. Without overriding the setting, your fancy new 144hz or 175hz monitor will still be set to 60hz.

Make sure you check out the Advanced Display Settings within Windows 10 itself and change them accordingly.

1577718509597.png

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Setup finally complete, loving the switch from consoles :)

View attachment 1445440
Looks good.

Since we moved in 2 and a bit years ago we didn't really do anything with the "spare bedroom" which I use as an office. In the new year we're gutting it and cleaning it all out properly. Can't wait to do a nice desk setup and probably a new case for the PC so it can go on the desk (current one is a bit s**t looking).

Going to go for one of the IKEA worktops with a set of drawers on one side to hold it and some battons on the other side to support it there free standing.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Anyone got any good suggestion for a really good MP shooter? We're been playing PUBG now for 2 years and think it's about time to find something else to waste our time into.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone got any good suggestion for a really good MP shooter? We're been playing PUBG now for 2 years and think it's about time to find something else to waste our time into.
You can disagree all you want but CS:GO is my go to game. Love the competitive nature of it. Been playing since Counterstrike 1.6. Played source at a decent competitive level attending LAN events but now just a bit of a hobbyist on CS:GO. b****cks to the standard MM feature though, I only play through FaceIT.

Rainbox 6 Seige is meant to be good.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Would you consider PvE more than PvP? If so, Warframe is definitely worthy of a mention. More so if you’re playing in complementary roles & ‘frames.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
BFV if you've ever enjoyed the older ones and want something a bit more casual.

Escape From Tarkov if you want something hardcore that takes about 2 weeks just to get a basic understanding of what the hell to do lol.

Insurgency Sandstorm could be worth a look but I've not played it myself. Squad/Hell Let Loose if you want some realistic battles? Not played them either just seen bits on YouTube.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
So my gearsick came yesterday for my Logitech wheel and have it set up. Its bloody excellent. Project cars 2 is the only game I've tried with it but it makes such a difference over game pad.

View attachment 1443871
Just bought the same steering wheel/pedal/gearstick set up, soon got fed up with the gearstick and switched to the paddles. I’ve been using it on my laptop for a couple of days and it’s been fun, but now I’m looking at Oculus Rift S, and gaming PC’s.

Managed to get the steering wheel etc all in with a stand for £135 (slightly used), have found a near enough new Rift S for £180, and looking like a compatible gaming PC set up is going to be around £500 with a cheapy monitor, which I’m not fussed about as I’ll be using the VR. Cheap driving sim FTW!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve got the PC but no oculus, lol. Really want one though, VR is perfect for driving with a wheel, more so than anything else because you’re locked into a seat.

VR flying though....

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
I’ve got the PC but no oculus, lol. Really want one though, VR is perfect for driving with a wheel, more so than anything else because you’re locked into a seat.

VR flying though....
I think VR flying would make very nauseous

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
I'd love a VR for the PC.
Just get a used one from Shpock or FB or similar, I picked mine up today from a few miles down the road for £180, I think I lucked out though because looking on CEX they pay £204-227 for a Rift S depending on condition grade.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
This is the one I bought, can't believe he put it up for £250 then the daft sod put 'nothing below £180' in the description, if he hadn't have put that I'd have offered at least £200

Untitledeee.jpg

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Is this a decent spec for £500?

Specifications: - I7 3770 Intel® Core™ i7-3770 Processor, 8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz (Similar performance to I7 6700) - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Zotac. - 8GB RAM DUAL CHANNEL Gskill - 240GB SSD - 600W POWER SUPPLY - RGB PC CASE 3X RGB FANS WITH REMOTE - MSI MOTHERBOARD - WINDOWS 10 PRO