ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

How about something pretty basic like this? Would upgrade the RAM.

I'm not a hardcore gamer so don't need a super expensive graphics card. On the upgrades are the RADEON or NVIDIA "better"? don't want to spend over £150 on the graphics card really. Or the least possible.

I'm not an FPS PC gamer, more like strategy games etc.

There’s no overwhelming reason to choose AMD (“Radeon”) or nVidia in general. But at every price point there will be some nuances (performance, power consumption, driver reliability) as to why a particular offering from one or the other represents slightly better value.

I’m fairly up to date on those nuances in the mid/high end for FPS games but can’t recommend anything currently as I’m not up to date on performance requirements for strategy games. Will do some reading later.

In terms of processors & platforms Intel have been a bit complacent in the R&D department recently so AMD currently offer better value at every price & performance point.

Make sure it’s got an SSD or NVMe drive for at least the OS. Should easily be feasible at your budget & they make a world of difference over conventional hard drives.

Reactions: seb

How about something pretty basic like this? Would upgrade the RAM.

I'm not a hardcore gamer so don't need a super expensive graphics card. On the upgrades are the RADEON or NVIDIA "better"? don't want to spend over £150 on the graphics card really. Or the least possible.

I'm not an FPS PC gamer, more like strategy games etc.

Turns out it's quite hard to find any graphics card reviews with benchmarks on strategy games. Guess it's a bit like looking for Nurburgring laptimes for a Chrysler PT Cruiser.

TBH I think you'd be happy with anything given your very modest requirements. AMD RX570 (£110 on cyberpower) is a nice price point as it's more than twice as fast as the cheapest cards available but not twice the price. It will get 45 to 60 FPS on most FPS and driving games at 1080p on medium/high settings if you ever wanted to pursue that. Assume that means it will absolutely wipe the floor with any strategy game but maybe you know of some forums you can look on?

It's almost tempting to ask what you have now, and suggest that you just put an SSD and graphics card in it for barely £200 and spend the change on something else?

Everything above that is a variation on diminishing returns. RX 580 is sort of 15% faster for 30% more money. 590 is another 10% quicker for 10% more on top of that. GTX 1650 is completely pointless. GTX 1650 super (£153) is barely any faster than the 570 but is a much newer card so will probably be quieter, consume less electricity and perhaps have better driver support for newer games. Forget VR and perhaps forget streaming?

If you did go with the linked system then 16GB of RAM with the free upgrade to 3000MHz is a good shout. Default motherboard only has 2 slots so a future upgrade would be disproportionately expensive, £20 for an extra 8GB is an absolute steal, and Ryzen loves fast memory so the default 2400MHz is probably a bit restrictive.

3200g and 3400g have stupid misleading names. Both are slower than the recently released 4 core/8 thread Ryzen 3 3100 and 3300X, which have both been getting excellent reviews for gaming. If you do any video editing or want a bit more future proofing now then maybe consider a 6 core/12 thread Ryzen 5 3600.

Motherboards are a bit awkward at the moment as there's big question marks whether A320/B450 will support next generation of AMD processors should you want a future upgrade. Some of the B450s have 4 slots for RAM if you want to keep future RAM options a bit wider. Otherwise even the default A320 has surround sound, M2, loads of USB etc, but forget overclocking.

240GB SSD will seem loads now even after putting a few programmes & games on, but will quickly get full with a few years of windows updates. Consider a bigger one depending on how big the programmes/games you have/use are, or be prepared to keep/migrate them to the 1TB drive. If you get a bigger hard drive don;t get a 5400rpm model.

I'm a DIY person not a pre-built person so not sure on value, but Novatech, Overclockers, Scan (3XS?), Ibuypower (are they US only?) are popular.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
@Steven103 cheers for your response, defo interesting points. I think my old PC may be a bit past it though!! What you think?

The PC i built was the following spec:

M2N-E SLI ASUS motherboard

1 gb ram

athlon AMD X2

geforce 8800GTS OC

Original build:

Some classic components there. I could only have dreamed of an 8800GTS back in 2007.

I’d love to chuck 4GB of RAM & an SSD (assuming you don’t have XP) in that sort of system for old time’s sake to see what it can do but you’d still be without driver support, hardware support (DirectX 11 let alone 12, SSE), limited multitasking with 2 cores etc.

I’ve no doubt that there’s high quality & perfectly reusable PSU and case in there too but again for the sake of a few quid and saving a load of faff I can understand going for a complete new build.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Some classic components there. I could only have dreamed of an 8800GTS back in 2007.

I’d love to chuck 4GB of RAM & an SSD (assuming you don’t have XP) in that sort of system for old time’s sake to see what it can do but you’d still be without driver support, hardware support (DirectX 11 let alone 12, SSE), limited multitasking with 2 cores etc.

I’ve no doubt that there’s high quality & perfectly reusable PSU and case in there too but again for the sake of a few quid and saving a load of faff I can understand going for a complete new build.

it started off with XP on the build but iirc it has vista.

yeah i think a fresh machine is best, but maybe not with such a baller card LOL

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Was thinking of this. Can add a graphics card as and when potentially.

upgrade to 16gb of ram.

worth going from 4 core to six core?

anyone recommend what i should be looking for in a sub 100 pound monitor? Or just go with a known brand?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
So my pc stopped working a while back now and I came to the conclusion after much testing that the mobo and/or CPU had packed in. Eventually got round to replacing it all with some new kit this weekend and have just taken the old CPU off the mobo to find this...

20200524_112127.jpg

20200524_112657.jpg

Looks like a bent pin to me (top right corner of the first photo) but I don't have a clue how that could've just happened randomly.

The PC sat in my living room for a couple months unused, and when I went to use it again one day it just didn't turn on. I hadn't touched it or moved it in that time. It had worked for several years prior and I'd never touched the CPU since it had been installed. Genuinely don't have a clue how a pin could have just bent on its own!

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
My Rift S arrived today. Half Life Alyx lives up to the hype. Holy s**t
Unbelievably it’s taken me this long to get around to getting this, and you were right! It’s so immersive I keep forgetting where I am and wacking my hands off things, only played it sat at my desk so far, I need to set it up in the lounge and set the guardian. Scared the sh*t outta me near the start on the balcony when that big war of the worlds looking thing walked up, and when those zombie worker things started chasing me in the trains!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Unbelievably it’s taken me this long to get around to getting this, and you were right! It’s so immersive I keep forgetting where I am and wacking my hands off things, only played it sat at my desk so far, I need to set it up in the lounge and set the guardian. Scared the sh*t outta me near the start on the balcony when that big war of the worlds looking thing walked up, and when those zombie worker things started chasing me in the trains!
I had to sit and hide in a corner for a few minutes after that!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
So my pc stopped working a while back now and I came to the conclusion after much testing that the mobo and/or CPU had packed in. Eventually got round to replacing it all with some new kit this weekend and have just taken the old CPU off the mobo to find this...

View attachment 1476128

View attachment 1476129

Looks like a bent pin to me (top right corner of the first photo) but I don't have a clue how that could've just happened randomly.

The PC sat in my living room for a couple months unused, and when I went to use it again one day it just didn't turn on. I hadn't touched it or moved it in that time. It had worked for several years prior and I'd never touched the CPU since it had been installed. Genuinely don't have a clue how a pin could have just bent on its own!
Should be entirely fixable that. I got ham-fisted on a motherboard swap that I did a while back - bent about four pins and thought I'd knackered it. Bent them back to where I thought they should be and re-sat the CPU. It still didn't progress past the BIOS POST.

Took it out again and checked the pins. There was just one pin that was an absolute midge's dick off being straight compared to the others. Tweaked that slightly and it worked fine after that.

But yep, that's strange how that could have happened to yours?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone looking forward to seeing what the 3000 series cards look like? Moving to 7nm means big cost savings and potentially some very powerful cards, so hopefully the new cards will be a big step up.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone looking forward to seeing what the 3000 series cards look like? Moving to 7nm means big cost savings and potentially some very powerful cards, so hopefully the new cards will be a big step up.
Read some article last night about some 'spy shots' of a 3080. Not sure how real/likely those are though.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Contemplating selling my setup due to barely getting the time to play and starting a new business.

Unsure what to price it at.

Rough Specs:

- 2x 27” curved samsung monitors 1080p
- Custom PC (GTX1080, I5, 16GB Ram,
Watercooled, SSD.) Again is pretty much new.
- Oculus Rift S (virtually new)
- GeForce G29 wheel and pedals

21035F03-4DA8-4819-8AB2-618E3A89B59A.jpeg

8799956F-3A4F-44FC-B872-08A3B353CA00.jpeg

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
No idea on the pc but the rift and the g29 are both fetching strong money at the moment, I sold my Rift, that I’d bought used, last week for £435, and replaced it with a brand one from Argos for £399, I sold my g29 a couple of weeks ago, also bought used, with frame and seat for £450, I bought the frame and seat new and the whole lot owed me £265.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
No idea on the pc but the rift and the g29 are both fetching strong money at the moment, I sold my Rift, that I’d bought used, last week for £435, and replaced it with a brand one from Argos for £399, I sold my g29 a couple of weeks ago, also bought used, with frame and seat for £450, I bought the frame and seat new and the whole lot owed me £265.

Wow thats great prices for the rift and wheel. Corona doing something good lol.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
So, I’ve just got an LG B9 and I’m having all sorts of issues.

1. Can’t set 2k120hz or even 1080/120. Max refresh rate in Nvidia control panel is 60hz. I would assume it’s not a HDMI2.0 cable, but it can do 4K HDR.

2. I’m guessing the above is the reason, but when setting Assetto Corsa to 2k120 it just sits in the top left corner and the display stays at 4k60 after flicking to black for a sec.

3. HDR disables when playing Assetto and only re-enables when I change volume and the volume bar comes up.

4. Playing 4k HDR files in the film and TV app freezes it immediately, VLC glitches occasionally. But the photos app plays it just fine.

Anyone got any ideas?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

1. Can’t set 2k120hz or even 1080/120. Max refresh rate in Nvidia control panel is 60hz. I would assume it’s not a HDMI2.0 cable, but it can do 4K HDR.

2. I’m guessing the above is the reason, but when setting Assetto Corsa to 2k120 it just sits in the top left corner and the display stays at 4k60 after flicking to black for a sec.

3. HDR disables when playing Assetto and only re-enables when I change volume and the volume bar comes up.

4. Playing 4k HDR files in the film and TV app freezes it immediately, VLC glitches occasionally. But the photos app plays it just fine.

Anyone got any ideas?
You're not running via DisplayPort by the looks of it - but this is worth a shot https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Stopped the flickering and flashing black screens that I got on mine about 85hz. 144hz was a lottery. Didn't matter if I used a basic cable or a premium one - north of 85hz would randomly cause issues.

If you run it - it tells you if your card needs an update anyway. My GTX1080 did.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Anyone got any ideas?

That looks like a TV.

Is it meant to accept a 120hz signal? I think I've heard of one TV (some older Sony model) that could accept an incoming signal over 60hz.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Hence my personal preference for a decent monitor.

Our TVs are Samsung shite - but I'd be more gutted if anything happened to my PC monitor!

Indeed.

Connecting a TV to a PC for anything other than playing films is sacrilege. Especially since you can run Plex on the computer and watch it with a Chromecast on the TV (saves you committing the cardinal sin of plugging a TV into a powerful PC)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It’ll do 4k120hz once Nvidia release a HDMI 2.1 card, it definitely is supposed to do 2k120hz over a hdmi connection, and at 6.8ms input lag, in HDR!

It definitely should be working but for some reason it isn’t. As I say, the only thing I can think is the cable isn’t a high speed one but then it’s strange that it will still do 4k60.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Think I may have found the issue with 1 and 2. I thought you could run 120hz without G-sync over HDMI on a 10 series card (which can’t support it, only 16x and 20x cards have it), but it appears that you need G-sync to run anything greater than 60hz at all. Piss. Guess I’ll have to wait for a 3080/90ti.

As for 3 and 4, I’m still baffled. Assetto looks great in HDR when the volume bar is up so I’m not sure why it flicks off after, and likewise HDR looks epic in the Photos app but simply doesn’t work in the proper films one. Had to watch Life Of Pi last night using the TV’s plex app instead of the computer literally connected to it.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
You can run over 60hz to a non G-Sync screen with a 10 series card, but I’m pretty sure it has to be via display port.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Boys and girls I’m considering a move to the dark side, most of this thread is jibberish to me atm so need some advice on a possible decent setup to run COD MW to a decent level and do some streaming etc

need an idea on what my costs would be don’t need mega spec at first could always upgrade at a later date etc May even just get a basic gaming pc then continue to run Xbox for a while

any recommendations on what I should be looking at?

Links etc always appreciated as it seems like a minefield out there for the uneducated

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Boys and girls I’m considering a move to the dark side, most of this thread is jibberish to me atm so need some advice on a possible decent setup to run COD MW to a decent level and do some streaming etc

need an idea on what my costs would be don’t need mega spec at first could always upgrade at a later date etc May even just get a basic gaming pc then continue to run Xbox for a while

Links etc always appreciated as it seems like a minefield out there for the uneducated

Make @Arran_ an offer on his setup that he just posted (would be easier to shift the VR/wheel separately anyway)

PCs hardware is worth f**k all once it's used unless you're dealing with high end stuff so it's well worth buying a used setup if you're starting from scratch.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Make @Arran_ an offer on his setup that he just posted (would be easier to shift the VR/wheel separately anyway)

PCs hardware is worth f**k all once it's used unless you're dealing with high end stuff so it's well worth buying a used setup if you're starting from scratch.

id have no idea what to offer that’s the issue and what’s possible from that PC @Arran_ if you have an idea on what your looking for drop me a PM

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member

I knew it wouldn't be long after you saw me flying about like a drugged up bellend 😂

@Arran_ what sort of price are you looking for on your monitors?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3

Really need a budget. Also bare in mind that once you've bought the PC you still gotta your peripherals (Monitor, keyboard, mouse etc).

Budget and resolution are the 2 things you need to know before you can look properly.