ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

**Problems guys please HELP!!** TheSloth - my first self build.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Well after several weeks of harassing rasclart, roy munson and griff i pruchased the bits and pieces to my first self build PC.

Longy came up with the first spec and this has been slightly tinkered about with. All items where ordered yesterday and the first thing to turn up was this:

GCB-XN88GT320M.jpg

Some have said i have gone overkill with the graphics card for the other items i have ordered but well Rascalrt reassured me i was doing the right thing, so i went with his knowledge and wisdom ;)

It is going to be a dual core AMD system (i know i know... people will say i should have gone intel...) but i saved a few quid going AMD and i don't think i will be disappointed one bit, especially coming from the current system i have! Plus i am a AMD fanboy lol The reviews gavfre posted up about AMD vs INTEL also persuaded me to go AMD.

I am doing this thread so i can document the problems/easy bits during my build.

I have only ever added RAM and a grahics card before as well as doing a format of my current PC. So i am a complete newbie to building PC's.

Depends how this all goes but it may well give other people similiar to my postion confidence to give it a go with their own self builds. Or it may even show that if you are a techno leper like myself that you are better off just buying a normal PC!

Hoepfully i will learn a lot from it all... The other bits and peices will (hopefully) turn up Tuesday so the build will begin next week!

I will update this thread with pics etc when i get all the stuff aswell as any problems i have.

wish me luck...

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Re: TheSloth - my first self build.

good luck mate. Just take your time, don't be tempted to rush ahead and switch it on, make sure all of the right power connections are made for the motherboard, graphics card and all of the various fans. Ensure the fan for the CPU is seated correctly as well.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

rest of the stuff tuesday.

Yeah rasclart has already said just take my time. I will be without doubt! don't want to f**k anything up!

I am going to keep my old warhorse online whislt i build thesloth so i can rendevous with my 'advisors' (i will be doing it reguarly! plus i have griffs mobile number! lol i bet he wishes he never gave it to me now!) .

Any advice form you technogeeks is always appreciated! :D

roll on tuesday!

Might wanna take up the art of wire management. At the moment the inside of my pc is a complete mess with wires everywhere. I wish i had have bought a different case, as there is no where to hide the wires. Not only does it look a bit messy (not really too bothered about that, lol) but the amount of wires is pretty much completely blocking one of the intake fans at the front of my pc :X

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

the only other one I can think of at the moment is when screwing the board to the risers on the case, make sure you don't position unused risers under the board as these will short the board and cause problems, i.e count the number of risers you put in and make sure they are all used when you screw the board in place. Be sure to connect the power cable(s) to the graphics card as this is often overlooked.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

coolio will do.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

one thing i am a bit worried about is static. Is it as much of a problem or is it not too much of an issue? Do i have to touch something metal to ensure i am not all ''static-y''?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

knowsit! ;) you re just secretly jealous that we will all soon be playing world of warcraft togther in our own little world lol... or not as the case goes! ;)

I just want a computer that is not as 'beyond' as my current one.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

i don't know what others are like, but I don't bother with wrist straps, I just make sure I touch the inside of the case etc before picking up components and installing them, for my recent build I cleared my computer desk and gave myself a large area to work with. Avoid walking with components in your hand as walking can cause static, put all the components on the table your working on, then touch the case, pick up the component and install it.

Fabia vRS

i've been working with pc's for over 10 years and never bothered with a static strap, and nothing has ever broken on me due to static.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

good stuff, roll on tuesday! :D

Not a Clio

Re static, just be sensible. Don't rub your components against any woolly items even if it means going without sheep sex for a while!

I just touch a radiator fitting or something to earth myself. No point touching the case because if it's not plugged in then you wont discharge anyway. Just be sensible and dont w**k off between two balloons, and you'll be fine.

182 Cup

I always find the hardest bit is getting all the little pins in place, power, sound, LED etc etc. They nefer seem to match whats in the manual!

^^My Asus board has a nice little feature called Easy Connect, or something like that. You basically end up with a plug that connects directly to the mobo. Rather than needing a magnifying glass to see inside the case, you can connect up the plug outside and then slot it straight in. Quite a nice feature.

Revels Mum & Sister

Your just old and blind Munson thats all ;)

Never use a static strap been building PC's for years as well. Not had anything go pop on me.

Fabia vRS

^^My Asus board has a nice little feature called Easy Connect, or something like that. You basically end up with a plug that connects directly to the mobo. Rather than needing a magnifying glass to see inside the case, you can connect up the plug outside and then slot it straight in. Quite a nice feature.

yeah my asus had that too.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3

You going dual screen then seb, twice the p**n, twice the excitement, nice graphics card.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

nah it is only a single screen set up.

Revels Mum & Sister

LOL Seb is tighter than a ducks asshole. He wont buy another monitor ;)

I'm not so sure that TheSloth is a fitting name. That 8800GTS is pretty much a match for my ageing 7950GX2 ;)

Bumder With A Buffer

you are aware that a static shock to any electronic component may or may not damage it at some point in its life?! I.e you could static shock something and will last for 3-4 years then decide to die a death so to speak!

Revels Mum & Sister

you are aware that a static shock to any electronic component may or may not damage it at some point in its life?! I.e you could static shock something and will last for 3-4 years then decide to die a death so to speak!

Did you know that drinking, smoking, unhealthy eating, passive smoking, radiation exposure could cause death in later life ;)

Bumder With A Buffer

Did you know that drinking, smoking, unhealthy eating, passive smoking, radiation exposure could cause death in later life ;)

A hint of sarcasm!! lol! I was just purely stating!

Revels Mum & Sister

LOL and?

In most cases anyway PC components will either be recycled, replaced or fall apart due to poor componentry used etc.

Anyone remember the Elite K7S5A boards, really good board, 2 years down the line rare to find one without leaking or burst caps. Nothing to do with static.

You take some precautions but dont scare him with he needs to be in a clean room, totally static free otherwise his PC will never work as its simply not a massive issue. Where as him putting stuff in the wrong place is ;)

Mitsubishi Colt

Might wanna take up the art of wire management. At the moment the inside of my pc is a complete mess with wires everywhere. I wish i had have bought a different case, as there is no where to hide the wires. Not only does it look a bit messy (not really too bothered about that, lol) but the amount of wires is pretty much completely blocking one of the intake fans at the front of my pc :X

An Akasa Eclipse case, some velcro ties and normal cable ties helped enormously with my build. It's tidy as a house owned by an OCD afflicted clean freak.

I'm going to wear a copper robe, connected to a lightning rod next time I start my car just incase I combed my pubic hair that day and generated 1.21 gigawatts of staic charge in my loins. It's bound to reduce the life of my ECU!

Bumder With A Buffer

Werent saying needed to be in a clean room....

If i were spending money on a PC that was gonna be the dogs then id make sure i took precautions as u wouldnt want to fook something up would you??

Just coz u walked across a road 10 times with ur eyes closed dont mean to say it'l be safe the 11th time! lol!! ; )

fulhamfcboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Laguna V6 and 19 16v

Fair game to all the guys who helped Seb out...Its nice that in this day and age there are people that care....lol...Its just nice people are happy to help without the intention of making a quick buck.
Does any one ever frequent PC World in Moorgate, if you do, let me know, I have to ask you about a certain member of staff that works there....

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

i take your points on board Rich.

However i think the main enemy for me is going to be my computer leper skills.

Roy - i am going with thesloth as well, i liked it when i was having a joke around with you! lol
edit - yeah indded re the above post, thank you for all the help, and all the help you'll be giving me!! :D

^^Seb, your biggest problem is most likely to be that you dont get a power light or somesuch. This will be the front panel power leads need swapping over. That should be your biggest technical problem, as it's the only thing you can get wrong really.