ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Of course, at the other end of the scale is the 3090 with the 24GB - something that I think the likes of Andy (@SharkyUK) could only fully utilise right now??
Yeah, 24GB is a bit excessive if you're just looking for a high-end GPU to see you through a few years of gaming. Even with the demands a modern game brings I would be very surprised to see anywhere near the full 24GB utilised (for pure gaming purposes). Of course, the fact that these cards are increasingly becoming more general-purpose means that the memory could well be used for more than purely gaming-related assets... And then there's the whole 8K gaming thing. Which I don't think we should even be entertaining at the moment. The demands that even high-fidelity 4K make on these new cards is ridiculous. True 8K assets will happily start to eat up that precious RAM too so maybe 24GB isn't too much after all... :LOL::p 8K through DLSS is semi-permissible though, I'm a fan of the technology and excited for where it's going.

F82 M4
Ideally you'll want a fresh windows install mate so it installs all the correct drivers for the mobo etc. I suppose it is possible without but you'll need to run a Windows repair I'd imagine so it does all the necessary drivers

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Call me mad...

I'm not really sure about upgrading my CPU tbh. I've got an i5 4690k @4.6ghz and whilst obviously most recent processors have way more cores, most of the stuff I do only really leverages one or two cores, and even something like a 3800XT is only 14% faster in single threaded or lightly multi threaded scenarios. Not to mention that the 3000 cards are going to be taking a lot of that workload away from the CPU, does it even really matter that much?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Call me mad...

I'm not really sure about upgrading my CPU tbh. I've got an i5 4690k @4.6ghz and whilst obviously most recent processors have way more cores, most of the stuff I do only really leverages one or two cores, and even something like a 3800XT is only 14% faster in single threaded or lightly multi threaded scenarios. Not to mention that the 3000 cards are going to be taking a lot of that workload away from the CPU, does it even really matter that much?

You're mad.

I'm going to do the same as my 6700k only hits 65% usage max, and that's only on some games.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
You're mad.

I'm going to do the same as my 6700k only hits 65% usage max, and that's only on some games.
6700k will be more than enough for a couple more years yet. Stick a nice wee overclock on it and yer jammin.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
6700k will be more than enough for a couple more years yet. Stick a nice wee overclock on it and yer jammin.

I've lost the silicon lottery with mine, it doesn't like going over 4.3ghz, but it's still not being pushed as it is.

F82 M4
Call me mad...

What 3000 card are you going for? I'd imagine there would be a bit of a bottleneck on that tbh

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
7D2B7F04-FF26-4D47-A2C8-D2ACEC82AFE5.png

Why did I just not buy one already built 🙈 lol

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
A new CPU might be a good idea, especially with the move towards DirectX12 Ultimate and more engine and middleware technology taking advantage of multiple cores and threads. A fast CPU to accompany the 30xx series makes sense as there's still an awful lot that the GPU is not well-suited to and can only sensibly be performed on the CPU.

Don't skimp on the PSU either. It might be worth factoring in the cost of such an item as part of any upgrade(s).

I should be alright for a while with my 1600W PSU. :p:LOL:

psu-power.jpg

F82 M4
A new CPU might be a good idea, especially with the move towards DirectX12 Ultimate and more engine and middleware technology taking advantage of multiple cores and threads. A fast CPU to accompany the 30xx series makes sense as there's still an awful lot that the GPU is not well-suited to and can only sensibly be performed on the CPU.

Don't skimp on the PSU either. It might be worth factoring in the cost of such an item as part of any upgrade(s).

I should be alright for a while with my 1600W PSU. :p:LOL:

View attachment 1494605

Yeah I need to check that actually mate. My currently PSU is a Superflower 750w, reckon it'll be enough for the below specs? -

i9 10900k
Z490 board
32GB RAM
RTX 3080
2 x M2 drives
1 x 4TB HDD
Soundblaster sound card
AIO cooler
8 x fans

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Tbf, other than the Kingpin edition the FTW3 was/is the best performing 1080Ti one could buy. Its the one I wanted but delivery delays meant I went STRIX. Got my FTW when I went 2080Ti though.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Tbf, other than the Kingpin edition the FTW3 was/is the best performing 1080Ti one could buy. Its the one I wanted but delivery delays meant I went STRIX. Got my FTW when I went 2080Ti though.
Yeah I was recommended the 1080ti, specifically the FTW3 too. Looking forward to it, should be a decent first GPU for me. 👍🏻

F82 M4
Anyone interested in a beast of a monitor? Selling my Alienware AW3418DW. 34" Ultrawide 1440p 120hz. Looking for £500 so cheaper than everyone else on ebay

Attachments

• 20200905_205646.jpg
    20200905_205646.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 36

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone interested in a beast of a monitor? Selling my Alienware AW3418DW. 34" Ultrawide 1440p 120hz. Looking for £500 so cheaper than everyone else on ebay
I'd love something like that but my desk isn't deep enough and I play in 1080, can't justify the cost of the jump to 1440p at decent FPS.

I've looked for decent ultrawide monitors in 25 or 29" but there's nothing with the specs I want.

Running an overclocked ryzen 3600 and 5600xt.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I need to check that actually mate. My currently PSU is a Superflower 750w, reckon it'll be enough for the below specs? -

i9 10900k
Z490 board
32GB RAM
RTX 3080
2 x M2 drives
1 x 4TB HDD
Soundblaster sound card
AIO cooler
8 x fans
nVidia (and board partners) are recommending 750W and above for those looking to buy 3080 and 3090 variants so you should be ok. Personally I do prefer a little extra headroom - I ran 850W with my 2080 Ti (although dropped the 1600W PSU in a month or so ago knowing I'd be looking to upgrade the GPU again).

I'm looking for some good quality PC speakers for my mum's birthday. Just for listening to music, youtube etc.

I was going to get Creative T20's as I've had the T40's for over 10 years and love them. But apparently some EU energy saving BS means the newer models now auto switch off after 10~20 mins then take a few seconds to wake up. That would annoy the crap out of me personally.

Main criteria would be a reasonably small footprint, 2.0 setup and <£100. Nothing too flashy looking

Any recommendations?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I'm looking for some good quality PC speakers for my mum's birthday. Just for listening to music, youtube etc.

I was going to get Creative T20's as I've had the T40's for over 10 years and love them. But apparently some EU energy saving BS means the newer models now auto switch off after 10~20 mins then take a few seconds to wake up. That would annoy the crap out of me personally.

Main criteria would be a reasonably small footprint, 2.0 setup and <£100. Nothing too flashy looking

Any recommendations?

I've had a set of these for years and they've been great.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I was recommended the 1080ti, specifically the FTW3 too. Looking forward to it, should be a decent first GPU for me. 👍🏻
I really hope that the triple fan setup is a better option on the 1080Ti than the dual fan on the EVGA 1080 FTW that I have.

When new, it came with the previous Doom game free and within a couple of minutes, ramped up the fans to make my PC sound like an attack helicopter. They were woefully incapable of handling the heat generated by the card.

I looked into the optional hybrid cooler that was released for the 1080 FTW and bought that. Fitted it and all has been good since.

1599553780398.png

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'm looking at upgrading the RAM again in my laptop - It started with 4 IIRC and I upgraded a few years back to 8. Its getting a bit slow now with the updates to Lightroom and Photoshop etc is making editing a bit tedious. Dont want to shell out on a new laptop as apart from the RAM issue, it seems alright as its had a new SSD and I have a ton of externals.

I've checked the spec of my laptop and its this: Not sure what the majority of it means.
my spec.png

I've done a check of max spec via command prompt and its 16GB (I think):
command prompt.png

But when I check on memory websites it comes up as max of 8GB which I have now.
dell max ram spec.png

So, what do we think? Am I maxed out or can I grab 2x 8GB sticks?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Call me mad...

Ive got a i7 4790 (non K) in my system that runs my cinema room with a 1660 super and it deals with everything i throw at it, however im looking at replacing the 1080p projector with a 4k one but im still tempted to just stick a flagship card in with the 4790 and see how it goes!