ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Do a vast majority of computer cases don't have the facility of not having slots for the optical drive disk tray, i prefer to have a disk tray. Not having one nowadays the new trend?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Do a vast majority of computer cases don't have the facility of not having slots for the optical drive disk tray, i prefer to have a disk tray. Not having one nowadays the new trend?
Nearly nobody uses discs nowadays. Why Flemish the look of your system 100% of the time for something that you'll use maybe once every couple of years?

Buy a sexy looking case and if you NEED one, get a external disc drive so you can stick it away in a drawer when not using it.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Nearly nobody uses discs nowadays. Why Flemish the look of your system 100% of the time for something that you'll use maybe once every couple of years?

Buy a sexy looking case and if you NEED one, get a external disc drive so you can stick it away in a drawer when not using it.
Ah ok, i suppose it does look sleaker without one like. Come to think of it as you say i've hardly used the tray only to burn cd's but that is dying dying down now as everything is going digital.

F82 M4

I haven't used a disc in years but you could just buy a USB CD drive if you need one?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
What do you use to clean out the PC, it's coming up to 4 years old and I've never cleaned any of my pc's out.

Also, on my next pc, i might and try and build it myself, starting to look on YouTube for ideas, CPU, GFX, Case and so on. Noticed that some have USB-C i believe this is called USB 3.2 Gen 2? Does your Motherboard and PC have to have this for it to work? or can you just use USB-C just of the motherboard?

What GFX card would people go for on the next level up or two levels up from the GTX 1050ti i have at the moment, I'd like to have a couple HDMI's and couple of Displayports's newer faster versions.

Last edited:

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
What are people's thoughts on this spec, looking to spend around £1000 to £1100 including GFX Card
PC New Build Spec List.png

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I use tins or air duster (Acquired from work) to give the PC a good blow out. Though I am thinking of getting one of those little air duster blower machines since the tins of air duster dont last particularly long.

Hold off a couple more months before you buy tbh as there are new CPUs coming from AMD, new GPUs from AMD and the new cards from Nvidia will be out soon to.

Dont get a 1660Ti if you have a 1050Ti. Waste of monies.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Think i might give AMD a go this time round as seem to be ahead for the spec to money.

What effects will it have on the pc if you don't clean them?

When i got the 1050Ti from amazon it costed me about £120, had a look is the 20 series the one i should look at? think the 30 series like the 3070 is quit above my price. Could i get a couple of Display ports and couple hdmi's on the upgrade card as i might get a dual monitor set up down the line. Having a USB-C would be lovely too.

On a 3 different YouTube channels i watch they advertise iFixit gear, had a look on Amazon they look decent stuff.

Last edited:

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
If I dont clean my PC it does begin to run slightly hotter. Thats really the only downside of not cleaning your PC. That and presentation.

Definitely hold off on the GPU front though until both companies have unveiled their line up. I'd even consider looking at the 2nd hand market because if the new cards are THAT much better than the existing lineup then people will flock to eBay to sell their stuff.

Most GPUs come with 4 outputs nowadays (My 2080TI for reference has 3 x DP and 1 x HDMi). Most motherboards now come with USB-C on the rear and some now also come with a header to plug your case front panel into (If that has a USB-C).

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I pondered getting a disc drive when I bought mine nearly 2 years ago now. Haven't missed it at all.

I use an Aldi compressor to blow out combined with a hoover. Decided just to buy the compressor (£50) rather than air cans :ROFLMAO:

Still leaves a layer of tiny stuff - anyone know how or if you should even bother to wipe that off?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
After looking someone used Isopropyl Alcohol to wipe down and imediatly wipe off? It might damage the plastic, just try a small spot first.

What are people's thoughts on RGB? the previuos pc's and the one i have not just have been Micro ATX non clear side panel, just found out the names of the sized just couple days ago. And thought next time i'd have a clear tempered side glass panel. And debating wethere i sohuld plunge into the RGB or not bother. The case i have in mind which looks really nice is the Phanteks Eclipse P400A, think the P500A is around 20" length and Height, bit too big going from Micro ATX. The P400a is around 18" height and length which is ok ish

F82 M4
Has anyone tried a vertical GPU mount? I'm considering it however I really don't want to lose my sound card on the other PCIe slot :/

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Regarding about the CPU's and in general i'm not interested in overclocking nor have knowledge on this and i was looking a the AMD Ryzen 5 3600X at 3.8Ghz. After seeing some videos the X means i think it can be overclocked and the ones without the X are locked and can't be overclocked.

My current CPU is an Intel Coare i5 4 Core at 3.3Ghz. And interestd in the AMD next time and would like a bigger version. How does the Cores, Threads, Ghz and so on work in lamens terms?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
You want the most cores, threads and highest clock speed (GHz) that your budget will allow.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Regarding about the CPU's and in general i'm not interested in overclocking nor have knowledge on this and i was looking a the AMD Ryzen 5 3600X at 3.8Ghz. After seeing some videos the X means i think it can be overclocked and the ones without the X are locked and can't be overclocked.

My current CPU is an Intel Coare i5 4 Core at 3.3Ghz. And interestd in the AMD next time and would like a bigger version. How does the Cores, Threads, Ghz and so on work in lamens terms?
My lad is running an I5 9600KF, runs his games no problem, but he can't play and stream, the stream is really laggy, if you are looking to multi task, AMD is your friend.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
My lad is running an I5 9600KF, runs his games no problem, but he can't play and stream, the stream is really laggy, if you are looking to multi task, AMD is your friend.
yeah thanks for that, i do infact do quit a bit of multitasking like, and have multiple tabs open and netflix open. Starting to make sue of my Screen in Screen function on my monitor

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
So a huge leap in raytraced performance and a fairly reasonable 30-40% uplift over a 2080. Not quite a 'twice as good as a 2080ti' but still a decent card.

I think I'll be waiting for the 3070 reviews etc to come out before choosing whether to go 70 or 80, but it seems like a card which will be a lot more futureproof than a 20 series.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So. At 1080P it's 10 to 20% (games dependant). At 1440P is 15 to 20% better. At 4k it's 20 to 25% better.

Not quite to 2x improvement NVIDIA was claiming. Who'd have thought it eh?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
So. At 1080P it's 10 to 20% (games dependant). At 1440P is 15 to 20% better. At 4k it's 20 to 25% better.

Not quite to 2x improvement NVIDIA was claiming. Who'd have thought it eh?

It'll be the ray tracing that big improvements are made in.

It's the usual thing of not really warranting an upgrade from last gen but good if you're coming from a 10 series card.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Well saved myself a fortune not doing a new build after the no post issue. Replaced the motherboard which done the job. Decided if im going to get a new 30 series then ill just drop it in as for what I game for it will suffice in this system, at the most ill update the CPU. Will then reduce the watercooling loop to the CPU only.

As per man rules the new MB resulted in a new case, 60% RGB keyboard, some braided cables and tidy up of the water cooling pipe work that the previous builder had done. Happy now for the time being, holds up well for a 1080 :LOL:

*HDD will be going soon!

6B829512-BBE7-4C7E-A368-10B6497B6195.jpeg

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well saved myself a fortune not doing a new build after the no post issue. Replaced the motherboard which done the job. Decided if im going to get a new 30 series then ill just drop it in as for what I game for it will suffice in this system, at the most ill update the CPU. Will then reduce the watercooling loop to the CPU only.

As per man rules the new MB resulted in a new case, 60% RGB keyboard, some braided cables and tidy up of the water cooling pipe work that the previous builder had done. Happy now for the time being, holds up well for a 1080 :LOL:

*HDD will be going soon!

View attachment 1496420
Intrigued by what temps you typically get on your 1080 with that setup? My AIO rad is half the size of yours, but it's only cooling the GPU. The Corsair H115i handles the CPU.

Are your top fans for venting only?

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Intrigued by what temps you typically get on your 1080 with that setup? My AIO rad is half the size of yours, but it's only cooling the GPU. The Corsair H115i handles the CPU.

Are your top fans for venting only?

GPU is around 50-55 gaming, with fans and pumps quiet will be late 50’s. CPU sits around the same.

Im not sure what temps are good for water cooling if that is good or bad.

Top fans are exhaust yeah.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
GPU is around 50-55 gaming, with fans and pumps quiet will be late 50’s. CPU sits around the same.

Im not sure what temps are good for water cooling if that is good or bad.

Top fans are exhaust yeah.
Very similar to me. According the MSI Afterburner, I'm around 29C on desktop. During games, mid 50Cs with the highest I've seen so far being 62C.

Really need to blast out my PC with the air-compressor at work, but I haven't gone back yet. Want to reseat the GPU and CPU pumps with fresh paste too.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Anyone managed to get hold of one yet?

I've seen reports that say there's possibly a 20gb version coming out just after AMD release their new cards. That would make the 10gb version seem pretty poor if you're using it for 4K gaming.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
All the retailers have whacked at least £40 on the prices today, sometimes even when people already have stuff in their basket and are checking out.

Madness.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Very similar to me. According the MSI Afterburner, I'm around 29C on desktop. During games, mid 50Cs with the highest I've seen so far being 62C.

Really need to blast out my PC with the air-compressor at work, but I haven't gone back yet. Want to reseat the GPU and CPU pumps with fresh paste too.
Yeah that’s around the exact same.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I can't wait for the Internet Historian episode about today. The gleeful smugness as he describes people putting cards in their baskets then going to the payment screen to find they have to sell their other kidney now.

Honestly today was f**king horrific as product launches go.