ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I’ve not tried 140mm versions but currently have the Noctua A12x25 fans, and have used the A12x15s previously. Not found anything better tbh.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
140mm case fans for intake/exhaust... what are people recommending/using?
20231122_151750.jpg

Can I recommend them if I've never fitted them?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve not tried 140mm versions but currently have the Noctua A12x25 fans, and have used the A12x15s previously. Not found anything better tbh.

Thanks mate, will check them out...

Lian Li SL140

I was looking at the V2 Uni fan setup but struggling to source a 3-pack with controller at 140mm size. I do like the look of them though.

View attachment 1670073
Can I recommend them if I've never fitted them?

Any and all recommendations are welcome mate, thank you. I've been running my old Corsair Air fans for the last 8 years without issue and fancied a change.

Actually, if I've not had an issue in 8 years then maybe I should stick with what I've got... 🤣

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
The good thing about the Lian Li route is that it can massively cut down the amount of cables if you get multiples!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Well, that was a freakin' nightmare... I had to unbuild a fair bit of my PC setup to get to fan headers in order to remove the old fans, installed the new setup, and found my system was completely dead. :(

I thought I might have accidentally knocked (or inadvertently loosened) some connectors so went through each cable/connector and checked them. Reseated the RAM. Reseated the GPU. All the usual stuff. Nope, still nothing. I then started to worry a little as I suspected the motherboard was dead. Turns out, it's the brand new PSU I've just bought. It has a fault and it is being returned, the replacement sent out to me shortly. Thankfully, I've got a couple of backup PSUs that can power the system... but I had to change the cables! I also could not be bothered going through the process of cable management so they are jumbled (but functional) until the replacement PSU arrives.

The fans themselves are very good quality - feeling solid and with a nice weight to them. The daisy-chaining is cool and really helps keep cable clutter to a minimum. I did have an additional hour of faffing as one of the cables was about 15mm too short for my particular setup hence I had to move the hub controller and a few other cables around (again).

20231125_184208.jpg

20231125_184758.jpg

The only other issue I had was not having a spare internal USB 9-pin header on my motherboard for one of the hub connectors as the single 9-pin header I do have is being used by the CPU cooler/radiator/fan. I disconnected that CPU cooler, found a spare micro-USB cable, routed it outside to an external USB connector - and thus freed up the internal header for the fan controller! :ROFLMAO:

20231125_222103.jpg

20231125_231536.jpg

Please help me - I don't want to turn into one of those people... 🫣

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Great airflow, super quiet, controllable RGB.

Have to get them off AliExpress as they don't sell them in the UK.

Too late, I went for the Lian Li items! :ROFLMAO: Thanks for the info though mate - might come in useful for someone else or for the future. Cheers! (y)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
See my post about the Thermalright fans above ^^

Too late, I went for the Lian Li items! :ROFLMAO: Thanks for the info though mate - might come in useful for someone else or for the future. Cheers! (y)
If you want the same airflow but a bit less noise than the Lian Li in the futures then they're the ones.

10CFM more than the Noctua but a bit louder.

However it took a good few weeks to get them.

Not sure why they're not for sale in the UK when they're possibly the best fan around!

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
See my post about the Thermalright fans above ^^

If you want the same airflow but a bit less noise than the Lian Li in the futures then they're the ones.

10CFM more than the Noctua but a bit louder.

However it took a good few weeks to get them.

Not sure why they're not for sale in the UK when they're possibly the best fan around!
Nice, but I don’t like having my PC flashing like a rainbow when it’s on.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
No RGB, industrial Noctuas and filters full of dust here. 💪
The industrial Noctuas shift a lot of air, they are big bois! But also a bit louder than other PC fans. However if you game with headphones you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

We use these in work for cooling some high performance electronics. They shift double the air of the highest performing Noctua industrial fan. Not quiet at full chat but unbelievable performance for a small 140mm fan.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
The industrial Noctuas shift a lot of air, they are big bois! But also a bit louder than other PC fans. However if you game with headphones you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

We use these in work for cooling some high performance electronics. They shift double the air of the highest performing Noctua industrial fan. Not quiet at full chat but unbelievable performance for a small 140mm fan.

I’m not surprised they keep things cool running at 7600RPM 😅

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth

So you're saying there's an upgrade. Not sure, it's quite breezy under the desk already. 😅

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Well, that was a freakin' nightmare... I had to unbuild a fair bit of my PC setup to get to fan headers in order to remove the old fans, installed the new setup, and found my system was completely dead. :(

I thought I might have accidentally knocked (or inadvertently loosened) some connectors so went through each cable/connector and checked them. Reseated the RAM. Reseated the GPU. All the usual stuff. Nope, still nothing. I then started to worry a little as I suspected the motherboard was dead. Turns out, it's the brand new PSU I've just bought. It has a fault and it is being returned, the replacement sent out to me shortly. Thankfully, I've got a couple of backup PSUs that can power the system... but I had to change the cables! I also could not be bothered going through the process of cable management so they are jumbled (but functional) until the replacement PSU arrives.

The fans themselves are very good quality - feeling solid and with a nice weight to them. The daisy-chaining is cool and really helps keep cable clutter to a minimum. I did have an additional hour of faffing as one of the cables was about 15mm too short for my particular setup hence I had to move the hub controller and a few other cables around (again).

View attachment 1670529
View attachment 1670530

The only other issue I had was not having a spare internal USB 9-pin header on my motherboard for one of the hub connectors as the single 9-pin header I do have is being used by the CPU cooler/radiator/fan. I disconnected that CPU cooler, found a spare micro-USB cable, routed it outside to an external USB connector - and thus freed up the internal header for the fan controller! :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 1670531
View attachment 1670532
Please help me - I don't want to turn into one of those people... 🫣

Very cool. I’ve been running the white versions since late last year. I went for the unicorn vommit look though:

IMG_1754.jpeg

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Any gurus or wizards who can help me before I throw this f**king PC out of a window?

Everything was working perfectly until about 10 days ago when I started getting weird crashes after a Windows update.
I go to launch a game, and it thinks about it for a second, then as soon as the icon appears on the taskbar/game appears in task manager it immediately crashes.
So far it only seems to affect games that are opened via a launcher like Steam or Epic, but even happens when I go to the .exe and try to open from there.
It's not game specific either, as I can run a game fine through Steam but it immediately crashes if I try to launch it through Epic, obviously there are only a small number of games that I happen to own on both (thank you free games on Epic!)
The crash log shows the same error every time, the only thing that changes is the name of the app that crashes.
IMG-20231127-WA0004.jpg

I've tried updating my GPU drivers thinking they might have been corrupted by the windows update but nothing changed. I've tried using the sfc/scannow thing in command prompt, along with some other ones like dism checkhealth scanhealth and restorehealth. All of them did nothing.

Can I just manually delete the d3d9.dll and let windows sort it out itself? Or is there something else I can try?

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Any gurus or wizards who can help me before I throw this f**king PC out of a window?

Everything was working perfectly until about 10 days ago when I started getting weird crashes after a Windows update.
I go to launch a game, and it thinks about it for a second, then as soon as the icon appears on the taskbar/game appears in task manager it immediately crashes.
So far it only seems to affect games that are opened via a launcher like Steam or Epic, but even happens when I go to the .exe and try to open from there.
It's not game specific either, as I can run a game fine through Steam but it immediately crashes if I try to launch it through Epic, obviously there are only a small number of games that I happen to own on both (thank you free games on Epic!)
The crash log shows the same error every time, the only thing that changes is the name of the app that crashes.View attachment 1670636
I've tried updating my GPU drivers thinking they might have been corrupted by the windows update but nothing changed. I've tried using the sfc/scannow thing in command prompt, along with some other ones like dism checkhealth scanhealth and restorehealth. All of them did nothing.

Can I just manually delete the d3d9.dll and let windows sort it out itself? Or is there something else I can try?
Rivatuner f**king Statistics Server, you absolute cuntrag of a program 🤬

False alarm lads, I was about to install Linux and start shaving my legs but it's sorted now and I can play games again
200.gif

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I’ve had to install an older version in the past to stop it from messing with things.
I can't even remember what it does tbh, I know I installed it alongside Afterburner but apart from that I'm drawing a blank. Stumbled across a Reddit post from 7 years ago where someone mentioned a similar issue after about 2 hours of messing around 🤣

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone played lethal company? Perfect game to load up blind with a few mates and spend hours laughing. Really good fun, even better with a mod for more than 4 players. Best £8 I've spent in a long while.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Anyone played lethal company? Perfect game to load up blind with a few mates and spend hours laughing. Really good fun, even better with a mod for more than 4 players. Best £8 I've spent in a long while.

Seen footage, need to get on it 😆

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
My little boy seems to love Batman for some reason, despite having basically no idea who he is outside of some pyjamas and Hot Wheels Batmobiles he's got, so I thought I'd let him play Arkham Asylum. In reality what happened was he'd walk around and follow instructions on where to grapple etc until we found some enemies, at which point he'd give the controller back to me and was happy to just watch. Works for me though as I loved playing through it as well. I'd forgotten just how good this game is, the story, writing, and voice acting are all top-notch and the graphics still look great today. Can't wait to play through Arkham City next because I remember it being even better than this, but I'm struggling to work out how it's possible!

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Pop quiz hotshots, why is my second display not working? My computer knows it's connected, but the display is showing no signal. It does this randomly, sometimes it fixes itself after a reboot, sometimes it can be days before it decides to work again. I'm convinced it's software related because it happens after I'm forced to change which is the primary screen so I can play certain games on the TV because they refuse to obey keyboard prompts to switch to the second display. It's incredibly annoying as we'll play a couple of hours of games, then after the kids are in bed I'll decide to watch a movie, only to discover my TV won't work. Or we'll play games one day and then not be able to play anything the next day, which is difficult to explain to a child, especially when I have no idea why it's happening myself!

Edit: It might be the TV too, I'm open to suggestions 🤣

Last edited:

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
@G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

Have you tried a different cable and checking for firmware updates on the TV, mate? It sounds like a rather strange issue you've got there...
I've checked for firmware updates and I'm fully up to date apparently. I had this issue when I first connected everything, and the TV couldn't output HDR and 4k60 at the same time, but after speaking to the cable manufacturer they suggested that my GPU might not be outputting enough power (it's a very long active cable). One USB power adapter later and the TV immediately received signal and had no issues with bandwidth etc. fast forward a few months and the issue of no signal being received started happening again, coincidentally when I'd been messing around with display settings. When the TV does work it's flawless so I'm leaning towards Windows/TV rather than cable.
@I’mnottypingthatfuckingmessout

Definitely try swapping the cables between your monitors and see if the issue moves from one monitor to the other.
I would try swapping the cable over but it's 15m long and I'd have to dismantle my skirting boards to get to it 🤣

Currently it's working again, after unplugging my TV power lead for 30 seconds and then trying again, so maybe it is the TV after all, but I've tried literally every suggestion I've seen online and the issue still comes back intermittently. If it was every time I changed a certain setting or something I'd at least be able to pinpoint the issue, but it seems to be completely random when it happens 🙄

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
I just find it abit distracting. Also I have absolutely zero interest seeing inside of a computer.
This.

It's a box of electrical gubbins, and when it's on, there's no need to look at it. RGB is for kids and pedos.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
NVidia have refreshed their mid-range offerings and released details at CES.

The 4070 range is getting some love. The current 4070Ti has received some criticism. At circa £750 It seems to exist more to bridge the price gap between 4070 and 4080 (£500 and £1000), and not bridge the performance gap. Much of the criticism is that you're paying 50% more for the 4070Ti and only getting a modest increase in performance.

To sort this NVidia are launching the 4070 Super and 4070Ti Super.

The 4070 Super gets 20% more CUDA cores, putting it very close to the current 4070Ti, it will also get a small bump in clock rate.
The 4070TI Super gets more CUDA cores, higher clock rate and notably more VRAM with a wider memory bus.

A 4080 Super is also announced, with 5% more CUDA cores and a slightly higher boost clock.

4070.jpg