ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The time has come..

sportka
I've turned 19, nearly got 2 years no claims.. and can get insurance on a 182 for £1700 :D

Just a few things i need to know,

cost of tyres,
real world mpg,
tax,
reliability,
servicing costs on average,

basically all i need to know is how much disposable income i'd need to run one each year.

p.s why the hell did they quote me £1600 on a focus rs?? £100 less than clio..

I also had a quote on an 2003 SRI turbo (190 bhp version) for £1100, this is also tempting,(i'd rather clio) but if the astra is about the same to run it is cheap to insure and about the same to buy.. also the big boot would be brilliant for my tools for work lol

Last edited:
  sportka
nope, 2004 rs i got quoted on, i was like wtf??? anyway, too much to buy, too much to run, i'll give the rs a miss lol.

Astra SRI CDTI,Hornet FA8
Focus RS is the same insurance group (16) as the Clio RS. How did that get worked out?!?!

I get 35mpg average, thats playing and normal driving (probably about 350-370 miles a tank). Haven't had to buy tyres yet (look at prices on the net). Tax is £210 a year. Cant really comment on reliability, only had the car 5 months but nothing has gone wrong yet. Servicing - do it yourself and make sure you buy one thats had the cam/aux belt done if it needs it.

Barge
Cost of tyres = Depending on what you go for, an average of I'd say (if you buy four) £80 quid.
Real world mpg = Depends on the miles you do, 33mpg average?
Tax = £210 a year, iirc.
Reliability = How old is it? Has it been well maintained? All cars have their faults.
Servicing costs on average = Depends on its mileage, oil change and small service every 6k miles and a large service every 12k is the intervals on my 197. May differ for the 182, but it'll have details in the manual. Cost for these, I've no idea for a 182 - perhaps someone with a one might be able to help?

EDIT: Badger beat me to it ;)

Astra SRI CDTI,Hornet FA8
Just remember someone saying that clio was 1one group higher than a focus Rs, dont bite my head off ffs :eek:
Pmsl. I meant who decided in the first place that the FRS should be a group 16 - wasnt actually replying/talking to you :rasp:

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
One the RS cheaper than the 182 insurance.

Look at it this way, the RS mostly is owned by older owners/owners that look after them and cherish them most are in owners clubs ect.

The clios are being picked up by anyone and everyone, resulting in more claims being made especially by young lads getting them, resulting in large insurance payouts ect, therefore insurance companies seeing them as more of a risk than the focus.

I know this in not the be all and end all, but the basis is true.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
when you said £500-600 for cambelt service? how often is that? and how much is a normal service?

Cambelt - 72K or 5 years which ever comes first

General service, depending on where you get it done/parts from, but the usual filters oil ect.

sportka
Found one i like today for £6400 in blue 54 plate, 30k miles. My stepdad is trying his best to persuade me not to get one... he reckons they are terrible on fuel, unreliable, expensive to fix (he reckons it costs loads to change the front lights? )

But me being me.. im not listening because i want one so bad..

Is he right? 33mpg is good i thought? Seeing as i only get 27mpg from the car i got now..

378bhp Leon Cupra R
Found one i like today for £6400 in blue 54 plate, 30k miles. My stepdad is trying his best to persuade me not to get one... he reckons they are terrible on fuel, unreliable, expensive to fix (he reckons it costs loads to change the front lights? )

Is he right? 33mpg is good i thought? Seeing as i only get 27mpg from the car i got now..

if you want to wait till mid to end July mine will be for sale 30K miles with cam/aux belts done......cup packs and recaros.

02052009081.jpg

02052009076.jpg

27102008018.jpg

sportka
if you want to wait till mid to end July mine will be for sale 30K miles with cam/aux belts done......cup packs and recaros.

Lovely looking car mate, but i'd need to part ex my car lol.. cant be bothered with the hassle of trying to sell mine.

378bhp Leon Cupra R
Lovely looking car mate, but i'd need to part ex my car lol.. cant be bothered with the hassle of trying to sell mine.

well make sure if your buying from a garage it has the belts done,,or try and get it done as part of the deal or you will fork out 6-700 quid. ;)

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
lol at being happy with £1700 :S

Gotta be on crack to pay that much. You got your whole life to get fast cars, wait imo! Then again, no way could I afford a 182 when I was 19, so I guess you must be loaded :D

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I waited until I was 21 to avoid massive insurance for the sake of getting a Renault Sport/Williams.

As for cheaper quote....... No one has mentioned that insurance co's prices are based on statistics. Therefore I would say that, like for like the Focus RS has had fewer claims and payouts for that particular insurance company, making it less risky for them to insure, hence the reduced premium.

sportka
lol at being happy with £1700 :S

Gotta be on crack to pay that much. You got your whole life to get fast cars, wait imo! Then again, no way could I afford a 182 when I was 19, so I guess you must be loaded :D

lol i wish.. may as well get something fast now, because in a few years when i get my first home i'll be skint lol

Clio 2.0 172
That insurance quote is pretty high! I'm insured on mine at 18 with 1 years no claims fully comp for £1500. And as for 35mpg,I've seen mine higher than that twice maybe in the month I've owned it,currently at 23.2mpg after the weekend :D

MCS R56
not really, some of my mates are paying that on 1 litre corsa's lol one of them is paying £2500 on a corsa..

That doesn't make it worth it! £1700 for insurance on a Clio...fcuk that! Keep the Ka and laugh at your friends spunking money up the wall!

MCS R56

A 182 will return the best mpg out of all the petrol hot hatches (VXR's, GTi's, Type R's etc) and deliver as good performance. I never had a problem with my 172 and it was not expensive to fix, (brakes, service, and shocks) depending on where you look/go. Why would you need to change the front lights?

I was getting high 30, low 40 mpg on an average run, so a lot better than your current car. However, I never paid more than £460 on insurance but I was a few years older than you when I bought it. £1700...nah! (as I noted above!):cool:

Fiesta ST
Come on guys why are we all going 'Noo don't buy a Clio 182 the insurance is too high'!

Let him enjoy his decision, don't make him regret it when he does. My dad was terrified and annoyed when I bought my Fiesta ST, especially since it was my first car. But, I'm so glad I went for one, especially as a first car. I'm of the same mind as Alex, I'm only young, I might have my whole life to enjoy fast cars, but when I'm old enough to insure one cheaply, bills and mortgage repayments will probably nip fast car aspirations in the bud.

Alex mate, sod it and go for one! Don't listen to the naysayers, at the end of the day your you and they are... they? Lol.

cost of tyres - 15inch £60.00 a corner, 16inch £90.00
real world mpg, - 32-35 day in day out, 39-42 on motorway @ 70mph, 18-20 mpg on track
tax £210.00
reliability As said, keep an eye on it and it will look after you.
servicing costs on average £125.00 for 12k, £500 for cambelt/aux, £65.00 for oil & filter only.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
It's stupid paying that much for insurance in two years you'll have paid out over half the cars value on insurance.