ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The transformation of Eric

audi a6 3.0tdi
A bit of background history of the Car first.

The car is a high mileage ph1 172 its on 112k now but has a great service history so the mileage did not put me off. It had Full renault dealer history upto 94k with all the belts done etc etc it also came with a pile of reciepts for general bits that showed it had been well looked after.

My sole intention for this car was to strip it out and use i puely for country lanes so the spec of the car will reflect this eventually. After my first test drive in the car it was obvious that all the standard clio faults where there, the exhaust was blowing, engine mounts where shot at and the driveshafts where clunking. None of this put me off as i had all these parts already from my old blue 172 so it was all good.

The Standard car when picked up

SPM_A0227.jpg

SPM_A0236.jpg

SPM_A0237.jpg

I used the car a few times untill the main coolant pipe burst which kind of put a downer on things so the car pretty much stood still for six weeks. In this time i sold the interior to a fellow local member of cs and started to strip all the interior out and removed all sound deadening.

The interior being stripped

SPM_A0275.jpg

SPM_A0271.jpg

I took this time to fit parts i already had and get hold of new parts i needed. In the time i fitted the following parts
  • Two rear dampers as one had leaked
  • Eibach sportlines
  • Blueflame cat back exhaust
  • Samco hoses
  • Sparco steering wheel with snap off boss
  • Omp wrc bucket seat with Omp fixed subframe
  • Sparco 2 inch harness which need changing
  • 6000k hid kit- far better for night blasts than standard bulbs
  • Hill power induction Bend
  • Pipercross cone filter
  • Omp rear strutbrace
A few pics of the mods

The samcos, hill power induction bend and the pipercross filter

SPM_A0394.jpg

SPM_A0401.jpg

The omp bucket seat and sparco harness

SPM_A0362-1.jpg

SPM_A0387.jpg

The Omp rear strutbrace

SPM_A0388.jpg

Sparco steering wheel with snap off boss

SPM_A0361-1.jpg

SPM_A0363-1.jpg

SPM_A0364-1.jpg

Now i've still got a few jobs to do before its near completion and it can go about its duties as a dedicated weekend warrior. these jobs are
  • Fit the new engine mounts
  • fit all new disks and pads all round the fronts are getting brembo hc disks, ferodo ds2500 pads and braided lines all round
  • the exhaust needs remounting as i chucked it on for the mot so it rattles like crazy.
  • Power bush my subframes of my old one before swapping it across on to this.
  • Fit my Omp front strutbrace.
Suspension wise i'm unsure what to do, at the miute it handles great on the sportlines but it looks like its on stilts as its so stripped out. I was thinking of coilovers but i'm scared it will slow me down on small country lanes as i don't want it to skip or bottom out. I really need to go out in few different cars with different setups to see what i like.

Once the jobs above are done the car will be pretty much how i want it then so it will just be a case of staying on top of jobs and keep it running well. Unless i decide to go silly and fit fibre glass doors and boot and other light weight goodies.

I'll keep this up to date as i've been meaning to do it for the past 4-5 months. I'll leave with a few pics of the car out in its natural habbitat

SPM_A0370.jpg

SPM_A0378.jpg

SPM_A0382.jpg

oh and one of the doner car for all my spare parts

SP_A0183.jpg

Last edited:
  audi a6 3.0tdi
I hope all that makes sense as i woke up at 4am ill and couldn't sleep so it helped pass some time.

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i
Thought this thread was something to do with banana man.

Also, this guy i know used to have an odyssey blue 172....

:p

audi a6 3.0tdi
Just a small update

Today with the help of rexe we fitted all new engine mounts, the car now accelerates so much better and has lost all the annoying clunks assosiated with worn mounts. I wanted to get them done before the yorkshire meet so i'm glad it was nice today.

I didn't bother taking pics as everyone knows what engine mounts look like.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Love the work mate im doing something similar to mine, but one thing i dont like is that steering wheel thats it.

audi a6 3.0tdi
Is this the car that sheared it's coolant pipe at the Yorkshire/NE meet the other month ?
Yeah mat it sure is, its was all chucked together for that meet everything is coming along nicely with it now. I've not got a lot left to do with it now just disks and pads all round, fit the front strut brace, polybush all the mounts and get some coilovers and its done.

audi a6 3.0tdi
I've done a couple of bits today i've taken the passenger dash air bag out removed the centre gear surround and the head lining. When i removed the head lining i found i huge peice of sound deadening the size of a sunroof so that'll have to come out.

SPM_A0596.jpg

SPM_A0597.jpg

SPM_A0599.jpg

SPM_A0600.jpg

SPM_A0601.jpg

SPM_A0598.jpg

More will come out soon i'll probably end up grinding the rear seat mounts out as i have no intention of ever going back standard.

audi a6 3.0tdi
Just to prove the car is still alive i've taken some pics. Since last time i've removed the dash and i'm going to start trying to cut down the loom as most of it is not needed. The aim is to try and get it down to around 850kg so this may mean getting the angle grinder to the doors and boot, currently its at about 940kg.

I'm finding it hard to find the motivation to get much done on the car as its right down low on the list of priorities at the minute due to work being unpredicatable with strikes etc but hopefully i'll keep doing little bits. Its currently been off the road for about two months now.

anyway the pics

SP_A0136.jpg

SP_A0142.jpg

SP_A0132.jpg

describes me perfectly

SP_A0140.jpg

I have found the clio does work perfectly as a garden shed and is a great place to store my bits. Hopefully next time i take pics it won't look like a car in a scrapyard lol

53 Clio's & counting
Looks good at that height mate, you dont want a back lane warrior low lol, thats why mines quick down the back lanes it just soaks up all the bumps perfectly

audi a6 3.0tdi
Its on sportlines at the minute it just needs a set of koni sport dampers to replace the old dampers that are on it. As you said any lower than that and i'd be compromising how fast i could go.

audi a6 3.0tdi
Keep it going mate unlike Rexe the splitter you've kept the faith.........

Now do I buy my old car back

;)
its been passed around like a **** that car now which is a real shame and also every owner who gets it tries selling it for more money.

rexe really regrets selling it now.

as for stripping its still got to lose
  • rear wiper motor
  • air con setup
  • rear seat mounts
  • excess wires in the loom
  • fit a race battery
  • cut excess metal from doors and boot
  • fit alloy bonnet