ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The trophy with 187k on the clock...

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I'm sure many will know of the trophy that once was Sir Daves, and then shortly Nick Cup's that was on 187k.

many people joked and asked who would own it when it hits 200k, well today the chances of it finally making it to 200k on the same engine have come to an end.

todays mileage as of 1 hour:

437EFDC0-ACDF-4D4C-9FEF-5F3B4E467B27-4666-000004E2DE895605.jpg

and the way the engine now looks :(

C74DDDEF-EDBA-40A1-A621-0AD14025918C-4666-000004E2BEB61831.jpg

637DD022-69AC-4CDE-A784-AFAD6175FA31-4666-000004E2C5D313E3.jpg

0E2FDDB4-FD5D-448A-9E98-5AD677F34686-4666-000004E2CC3E32DA.jpg

D3F2A561-6BB7-4EA3-845B-D2801CC62B72-4666-000004E2D156D9BD.jpg

D7EA70D8-02E5-46BF-A819-F213F9D9C351-4666-000004E2D6F21F58.jpg

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
well that was a prophetic conversation only 6 hours ago!!! It was really fast on track all day today too

Clio 182 trophy
one of my mates engine has just gone bang in exactly the same way but mileage was less than 85k. any ideas what can cause this?

Phase1 172
one of my mates engine has just gone bang in exactly the same way but mileage was less than 85k. any ideas what can cause this?

Can be many things , neglect over the years , low oil level , cheap oil .

Kelv I wad thinking earlier , how hard your car corners etc . Could it have been a surge issue ?

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I've only done 2 trackdays with the car so far, both at Bedford, but god was it driven hard today when I took it out.
it wasn't even myself driving it today when it let go, I'd given the keys to my mate a good few times and he was just starting to enjoy it, he genuinely had tears in his eyes when he came over to tell me.
the worrying thing is he took my focus up there today and the exhaust down pipe on that has split today on him aswell, may call him Jona as he also kerbed one of the wheels on the focus when he took it to the ring last year :-(
Joking aside, its just one of those things, if it didn't happen to him then it would have happened to me today instead, time to make it stronger and livelier!!

Dan519, what a time to have that convo aye, lol.
Good to meet you and natter, catch up soon.

Dave, ill blame Nick for his mileage previous to mine ;)

Jonny, it went through my mind earlier in the day aswell, the thoughts of baffled or dry sump setups, but ill get the engine apart and go from there, next trackday is 20th may, we shall see what can be done.
did you enjoy your few laps?
Seating position is pretty good aye ;)

Last edited:
  Phase1 172
I've only done 2 trackdays with the car so far, both at Bedford, but god was it driven hard today when I took it out.
it wasn't even myself driving it today when it let go, I'd given the keys to my mate a good few times and he was just starting to enjoy it, he genuinely had tears in his eyes when he came over to tell me.
the worrying thing is he took my focus up there today and the exhaust down pipe on that has split today on him aswell, may call him Jona as he also kerbed one of the wheels on the focus when he took it to the ring last year :-(
Joking aside, its just one of those things, if it didn't happen to him then it would have happened to me today instead, time to make it stronger and livelier!!

Dan519, what a time to have that convo aye, lol.
Good to meet you and natter, catch up soon.

Dave, ill blame Nick for his mileage previous to mine ;)

Jonny, it went through my mind earlier in the day aswell, the thoughts of baffled or dry sump setups, but ill get the engine apart and go from there, next trackday is 20th may, we shall see what can be done.
did you enjoy your few laps?
Seating position is pretty good aye ;)

​Loved it mate . Proper little weapon ... You peddle it well :)

pimp mobile Zafira
Sad news. Really wanted this to hit 200k as well. Are you going to break it or put another engine in?

04BGFF182CLIORS
It did well really, german car mileage!

Isnt 0.01mph selling a trophy engine for 5k that would be ideal to drop in it?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
This looks like one of your less successful weight saving techniques Kelv.

Unlucky. Is that the kind of thing one can expect from high mileage though? Sure it wasn't accidentally dropped into too low a gear?

But anyway, blow the welds on the intake etc. :(

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Any idea, roughly, ow many trackdays it's seen between the known owners?

I did 16k miles, of which the following were full track days: Haynes, Brands, Donnington, Bedford x 3, Llandow

Never hit the limiter, always heel & toe'd, & drove with a certain amount of mechanical sympathy - mainly as i had to drive it there & back lol (well except at the RenaultSport evening at Bedford when the PAS line failed/the AA towed me back to JMS).

Would be very interested to know the cause of the meltdown tbh.

Good innings anyways :race:

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Sad news. Really wanted this to hit 200k as well. Are you going to break it or put another engine in?

Certainly wont be breaking it, not with the time / effort and parts that have now gone in to this car to make it a track toy.
new engine will be sourced and fitted, the car will live on :)

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I must admit, buying it on the mileage it had, and knowing in what environment it would be spending its life I didn't expect it to last forever anyhow.
yes, the engine going pop is a sad day, but it certainly won't stop the car being back out in a few weeks being used hard again.