ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The White ph1 172 track car. Epic content!

Ah right i see, so if i done that, how would i go about ditching the standard ECU? As the Omex is spliced into that, this is looking a lot cheaper option :D

The omex isn't spliced into the standard ecu at all mate - it has it's own power supply and runs stand-alone
The only bit that's spliced is the TDC sensor - that goes to your old ECU and the new one - reason is that the old ECU needs the sensor to show the revs/speed on the dashboard and also to keep the fuel pump running. If the old ECU can't see the engine turning then it gives up lol

So all you need to do is get a dash2 from race technologies and there serial interface. Plug it straight into the omex and that's your dash sorted

You can add an extra pin into the omex loom and get the omex to control the fuel pump which means it will prime and run the same as it does now
Then you can bin the old ecu and all the engine loom

Obviously if you bin the interior loom as well you'll need a custom loom making up for essentials like lights and indicators etc... but it would probably be easier to just chop the stuff out you don't need like the dash, airbags, odbII port etc...

Trafic 140dci
The omex isn't spliced into the standard ecu at all mate - it has it's own power supply and runs stand-alone
The only bit that's spliced is the TDC sensor - that goes to your old ECU and the new one - reason is that the old ECU needs the sensor to show the revs/speed on the dashboard and also to keep the fuel pump running. If the old ECU can't see the engine turning then it gives up lol

So all you need to do is get a dash2 from race technologies and there serial interface. Plug it straight into the omex and that's your dash sorted

You can add an extra pin into the omex loom and get the omex to control the fuel pump which means it will prime and run the same as it does now
Then you can bin the old ecu and all the engine loom

Obviously if you bin the interior loom as well you'll need a custom loom making up for essentials like lights and indicators etc... but it would probably be easier to just chop the stuff out you don't need like the dash, airbags, odbII port etc...
You've made it sound quite simple tbh, sounds like something i could do at home :) How do i get the omex to control the fuel pump (other than the connect the wire) and then the car will run off the omex?

So it would just leave the case of plumbing in the Race Logic Dash in...

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
And you still have all of the metal internals of your doors and no polycarb windows yet;)

That should save a fairly substantial amount

You'd be surprised at how much weight you don't save from cutting the guts out of the doors!! I've done it to my cup and I also run the full p4p window kit. Got the weights of glass vs polycarbs if your interested. I saved more weight by taking out the webbing from under the bonnet than I did from the doors!! Lol

Trafic 140dci
You'd be surprised at how much weight you don't save from cutting the guts out of the doors!! I've done it to my cup and I also run the full p4p window kit. Got the weights of glass vs polycarbs if your interested. I saved more weight by taking out the webbing from under the bonnet than I did from the doors!! Lol
Yeah would be interested in the difference between glass v polycarbonate :) No point gutting the webbing out of the bonnet for me, took 25% out for the air filter on my jenveys and being ally probably didn't even weigh 100g! Lol just going to leave the rest in for a bit of strength.

Trafic 140dci
If you do go down the poly route. Let me know :)

Rhys has found them for a good price. Might get discount with 3 of us lol.
I will eventually, keep putting it off, let me know when you guys buy and I'll do a group buy with you :)

Im debating only doing the rear 3 pieces of glass though, I'd like the p4p polycarbs that go in the oem sliders I'm just a bit concerned about the quality, never seen them before so can't comment but could imagine they'd be flimsy and maybe drafty... Please someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I will eventually, keep putting it off, let me know when you guys buy and I'll do a group buy with you :)

Im debating only doing the rear 3 pieces of glass though, I'd like the p4p polycarbs that go in the oem sliders I'm just a bit concerned about the quality, never seen them before so can't comment but could imagine they'd be flimsy and maybe drafty... Please someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

I wouldn't have any concerns regarding the quality of the p4p windows at all. They are absolutely excellent quality and the fit is perfect. My fronts are fixed in situ and I rely on pop-it vents to draw the air in. Needless to say it gets hotter than the gates of hell in the summer if you get caught in traffic!! Lol! That's the reason I've got a 197 cup racer roof vent now!!

Trafic 140dci
I wouldn't have any concerns regarding the quality of the p4p windows at all. They are absolutely excellent quality and the fit is perfect. My fronts are fixed in situ and I rely on pop-it vents to draw the air in. Needless to say it gets hotter than the gates of hell in the summer if you get caught in traffic!! Lol! That's the reason I've got a 197 cup racer roof vent now!!

That's the reason i want to retain the front window mechanism's lol

Trafic 140dci
What about poly windows that slide?

This is what i want/am worried about, i've never seen them before, but my visions of poly windows are fairly flimsy so just worried if that's in the sliders that it could be drafty at speed etc.

I know the fixed ones would be fine as they'd be stuck in, but i hate heat, and couldn't deal with that heat in summer.

Have you got any pics of the roof vent mate?

I want to fit one to mine because the temps on track days get quite high in the car and a friend of mine runs a roof vent on her 106 rallye and says it helps loads

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Have you got any pics of the roof vent mate?

I want to fit one to mine because the temps on track days get quite high in the car and a friend of mine runs a roof vent on her 106 rallye and says it helps loads

Yeah got some on my phone that I can upload to flickr, then on to here. Be warned though, the quality of the roof vent is shite! It's a typical Motorsport part!! Look at the one on driftworks as well. It's a nice bit of kit.

Evo 5 RS
Only problem is that they will scratch from going up and down mate. They do scratch easily.

This! Mine are a bit fooked already and not really used the car. Make sure you get the full monty with the guard protection etc.. Or they'll be fooked in a day lol

/cares though

Clio 172
Maybe you meant to say "Later ones didn't have an ally bonnet" ;)

I checked mine and its ally. Have to say guys I have been looking at the polly windows, there is alot of stuff that can be chopped out of the car but there bust be an easy 20kg saving with the windows and alot more when I get lighter front seats.

Trafic 140dci
I checked mine and its ally. Have to say guys I have been looking at the polly windows, there is alot of stuff that can be chopped out of the car but there bust be an easy 20kg saving with the windows and alot more when I get lighter front seats.
All in good time, i've putting put off the hole sawing at the moment lol.

If you are set on trying to save weight then I think the doors and boot are the areas to look at as they are damned heavy even when stripped out! A GRP door is 2900 grams and the boot lid is the same. Carbon will knock another couple of hundred grams off each but doesn't warrant the extra cost IMO. I would love to do it to mine as with me in the car and a full tank of fuel it weighs in at 1120KG so definitely a full fat combination ;) Not going to do it though as I have got plenty of time to make up in other areas first and budget won't allow :(! Still look cool though :D

That's not directed at anyone in particular just an general opinion from my research :)

Trafic 140dci
If you are set on trying to save weight then I think the doors and boot are the areas to look at as they are damned heavy even when stripped out! A GRP door is 2900 grams and the boot lid is the same. Carbon will knock another couple of hundred grams off each but doesn't warrant the extra cost IMO. I would love to do it to mine as with me in the car and a full tank of fuel it weighs in at 1120KG so definitely a full fat combination ;) Not going to do it though as I have got plenty of time to make up in other areas first and budget won't allow :(! Still look cool though :D

That's not directed at anyone in particular just an general opinion from my research :)
I've heard about that too, i was just going to attach both the boot and doors with an angle grinder and hole saw, did consider the GRP doors, but heard they are very poor quality, although if you know where you can get good ones from i'd be very interested.

The only problem i can see with a GRP do is would i be able to run window mechanisms? As this is necessary for me :)

Also 1120kg full tank of fuel and you in it is pretty good going tbh! Considering mine is 940 ish with barely any fuel and no one in it, much smaller cage than yours and 2x heavy Cobra Monaco S seats :eek:

I've heard about that too, i was just going to attach both the boot and doors with an angle grinder and hole saw, did consider the GRP doors, but heard they are very poor quality, although if you know where you can get good ones from i'd be very interested.

The only problem i can see with a GRP do is would i be able to run window mechanisms? As this is necessary for me :)

Also 1120kg full tank of fuel and you in it is pretty good going tbh! Considering mine is 940 ish with barely any fuel and no one in it, much smaller cage than yours and 2x heavy Cobra Monaco S seats :eek:
Yes from what are have also heard the Ebay company ones are a pain to fit, so much so that when I spoke with them last year about it they didn't want to fit them so kind of shows a lack of confidence in the product lol! Yes well I will let you know as I am talking with someone about them at the moment so when I get some time then I will put a thread up and gauge interest for them etc.

I'm not sure but I don't see why you couldn't, Have you been in a car with sliders fitted? I find mine plenty cold enough even the other week when it was 21 degree's, sun and in full fireproofs and 3 layer suit! I'm sure P4P could make you a set with an XL slider if it was an issue? Your always welcome to come out in mine to see what they are like.

Yes its not bad but I add a lot of the weight to my car lol! Time for me to get on a diet :) There will be a recaro in yours in a few weeks ;)

Have you seen about the Burpspeed Llandow trackday? I know its a fair way for you but it will be a great day if you can make it and it's a bargain :)

Trafic 140dci
Yes from what are have also heard the Ebay company ones are a pain to fit, so much so that when I spoke with them last year about it they didn't want to fit them so kind of shows a lack of confidence in the product lol! Yes well I will let you know as I am talking with someone about them at the moment so when I get some time then I will put a thread up and gauge interest for them etc.

I'm not sure but I don't see why you couldn't, Have you been in a car with sliders fitted? I find mine plenty cold enough even the other week when it was 21 degree's, sun and in full fireproofs and 3 layer suit! I'm sure P4P could make you a set with an XL slider if it was an issue? Your always welcome to come out in mine to see what they are like.

Yes its not bad but I add a lot of the weight to my car lol! Time for me to get on a diet :) There will be a recaro in yours in a few weeks ;)

Have you seen about the Burpspeed Llandow trackday? I know its a fair way for you but it will be a great day if you can make it and it's a bargain :)
Let me know how you get on as i would be interested :) I'd be ok with sliders on track it's just being road legal as well to drive it to track, if i'm stuck in traffic i'd die! lol

Do you know when your likely to have your car at Matt's for me to collect the seat? Did you find out about the side mounts? Yeah and i really want to go, but the company i'd been sub-contracting off has just come to the end of a contract so I'm currently out of work, start somewhere else in a few weeks, but just taking it easy for now untill the money starts rolling in consistently again :) This year is very slow for work for me at the moment :( last year was working stupid hours and earning silly money which has paid for all of what you see in this thread.

Will do mate :) I will have a chat with you about them when I see you! If you buy sliders I'll buy you one of those pocket fold up fans :rasp:

Ball's I totally forgot to let you know :( I'm planning to drop it of on the 28th April if thats good for you? If not then drop me a PM and I can shuffle the date for bringing the car down to suit meeting you :) I haven't spoken to Matt properly yet sorry but I have got to email him so I will ask and let you know early next week if thats okay.

Ahh okay no worries mate, Sorry to hear about that but at least you are starting something else soon :) Yes they aren't cheap to run or build are they :S lol

Trafic 140dci
28th would be good for me, i can at least meet you there when you drop it off :) Just let me know as soon as you can about the side mounts.

Yeah i know that's why i try and get bits as cheap as possible or second hand where i can! lol

28th would be good for me, i can at least meet you there when you drop it off :) Just let me know as soon as you can about the side mounts.

Yeah i know that's why i try and get bits as cheap as possible or second hand where i can! lol
Perfect it will probably be lunchtime or just after if thats okay, Thanks yes I have added it to my list of questions for Matt :) The poor guy with all my questions lol!

Trafic 140dci
Been quiet on this thread for the past week or so, which has been very un-like this build! LOL. As you know i picked up Dom's EC1 with the intention of running it in my car eventually, but DannyR really needed it (and the map on it!) so we made a deal and that went. So with the money i got back from it, it was time to sort me a new seat out. I had arranged with BIGASH to buy his spare Recaro Pole Position in a few weeks when 2x Sabelt Taurus seats came up on eBay. 1 was 4 years old, hardly used and was winning that up till today and got out bidded and wasn't prepared to go any higher on it, but there was another ending 10 minutes after that which was only a year old and used 8 times, and got that for not much more than my max bid on the older one so was very happy with that!

Here's the seat for those that haven't seen one before:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290697369484?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I'm pretty sure these are the same as what Cup Race cars use? Except they have Renaultspot embroidery iirc... So my car is getting pretty cup racer-ish look going :) Really want a Renaultsport Sabelt steering wheel now :p

Eventually i will get another Sabelt Taurus for my passenger, but funds are fairly tight right now, start new job next week etc...

Does anyone know what side mounts these use? Or are they all universal?

SQ5
They're also the seats that were in it when I had it ;) but with the RS stuff on it!

Text me Wednesday with details dude :)

Trafic 140dci
They're also the seats that were in it when I had it ;) but with the RS stuff on it!

Text me Wednesday with details dude :)
I know, looked so good! Probably should of asked you if they are comfy first!? Rather than buying on impulse lol.

Yeah no problems i won't forget :p

SQ5
They're not too bad, you just have to mount low as seats are tall.

As you know me this was a problem and I had a cushion lol! You'll be fine!

Trafic 140dci
They're not too bad, you just have to mount low as seats are tall.

As you know me this was a problem and I had a cushion lol! You'll be fine!

That's good then, as long as they are better than my Monaco S seats i'll be happy. To be fair tho, paul mounted the side mounts directly to the floor so it was no wonder you needed a cushion! Lol Rich done the same with the Monaco S seats him being a bit taller than me still they were too low for me so had to put another 20mm spacers in. I'll be getting some seat rails welded in for these, proper job :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
nice work on the seats mate, will be interesting to see where you go with the weight savings too,
thats one of the things i really can't wait to do once mine is completed, whenever that will be... ha

Trafic 140dci
nice work on the seats mate, will be interesting to see where you go with the weight savings too,
thats one of the things i really can't wait to do once mine is completed, whenever that will be... ha

Thanks mate, all going well i should be getting the seat rails welded in tomorrow night and seat fitted.

Weight savings is something i keep putting off, really want to take an angle grinder & hole saw to the car, but my neighboors have just had a new born baby, being from in a family with lots of little ones i know how hard it is to get them to sleep! (I'm a good neighboor lol)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks mate, all going well i should be getting the seat rails welded in tomorrow night and seat fitted.

Weight savings is something i keep putting off, really want to take an angle grinder & hole saw to the car, but my neighboors have just had a new born baby, being from in a family with lots of little ones i know how hard it is to get them to sleep! (I'm a good neighboor lol)

bring the car down here and we will do it outside my neighbours house...... cnuts...lol

Trafic 140dci
Seats look very nice!

Take it they will be in for sunday?
The SEAT will be in for Sunday with a bit of luck :)

Few photo's of some goodies that arrived today :)

Genuine Sabelt Alluminium side mounts (Following my other thread thought it would make sense to go with the genuine items, fair price too!)

download2-3.jpg

download-6.jpg

Seat rails ready to be welded in, very good quality.

download1-3.jpg

bring the car down here and we will do it outside my neighbours house...... cnuts...lol

LOL! TBH i've got friendly with my girlfriends best mate's boyfriend who is a welder (doing my seat rails) and he lives on a farm so will probably do it there :)