ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Think I've just killed gearbox number three... Surely it can't be my luck...

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Hi All,

So I think I've just killed gearbox number three. Fifth, Third and Second are whining like hell and will pop out. This rebuilt box (local firm) has lasted about 15k? The last box (KTEC refurb unit) lasted about 15k miles also, that one would whine in all gears and eventually would pop out of all of them. The original Renault box made it to over 100k (car now sits on 130k) and did the same as the KTEC one.

These cars are tracked left right and centre and I can't imagine they've been through as many as me in the last year... Granted the car does get hard road use daily.

Is this to be expected? Is it my driving? Is there something on the car causing this? Can anyone build a box I can't kill? It's costing around £1500 ish a time!

Cheers!

Got to be your style surely? What mileage did you get the car on with the original box? If 85k then its defo you, lol. Mine was on the original at 107K before the engine went pop and it was still going well. In the 7k miles I used it most of that was very hard track use as well. I did however leave a tiny bit of throttle on when changing up at the redline, not great on the clutch as it rides but went into gear every time even with really fast shifts, if I didn't leave a bit of throttle on it would however crunch into 3rd with fast shifts at the redline. I also rev matched on downshifts which will have helped as well.

Not good advise now I know as yours is buggered but something to consider maybe when you have it rebuilt, especially rev matching.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Sounds like mechanical sympathy required tbh, don't rush the box and smash it through the gears. If you're not rev matching on down shifts etc too then take it slower again to allow the synchros to work fully

A mate of mine had a 182 cup in 07/08 and he went through 6 boxes and it put him off the Clio entirely...

It was purely his driving style - flat out handbrake turns, front wheel drifting and just pure hooliganism that caused the issues, but he wouldn’ t except that it was him ?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
SYBB9i5.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Drop the oil and bang a shaft in, get a magnet on a stick and fish the rollers out. Seen it happen a few times on the R5gtts and people have got away with it, nothing to lose and cheap enough.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
100% down to how it’s driven surely, on my third 1*2, two of them being over 100k none with any gearbox issues, mechanical sympathy required!

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies! Living in Norfolk in my early twenties means it gets Better road and back road driven every day, up to near redline (never bouncing the limiter it hurts my soul!) And then rev matched on the way back down, NEVER flat shifted! I guess it's just me killing them off!

I'll definitely be factoring in another rebuild soon ready for when this eventually goes pop. Drained and changed the oil and it no longer pops out and the whining has subsided a tad. I think it's been leaking from the selector seal and with the under tray on given me no puddles of concern!