ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Think of Clio 182

325i
Hi. I'm currently looking for a secondhand 182, pref with Cup extras - couldn't be doing without climate control etc. Decided to go to my local Renault dealer who has 3 in stock but wasn't prepared to let me drive one, despite the 11k price tag - so he can get stuffed. So I've decided to look privately and hopefully save a couple of grand. Does anybody have any experiencing on buying one of these and what to look out for on used examples? I've currently got a 325i which I've had for 10 years and reckon I'm due for a change. I've never owned a Renault and wondering whether I might be making a big mistake given that I've owned BMW's since 1991 and that they're very well put together. I need something small, quick and fun - or should I go for a 206 180, given the Renault reputation for lack of build quality? Surely Clio's can't rattle that much, or do they??

Any comments gratefully rececived - cheers!!

106 GTi
Welcome to CS

You really need to drive one, why did they say no to a test drive? try another dealer. They are fun, but dont expect German build quality!

As for the 206 GTi 180 drive that and then drive a 182 and see which one you prefer! ;)

You won't care about raattles if you enjoy driving car. the CLios a good car ok some have bad build quaility and some wierd design ideas but there great fun to drive quick.
Not much to watch out for check 53 reg cars arn't press cars 9there all blue with strips and sat nav I think0) just the general things to watch for check they have all the working bits and check for crash damage. All 182's should still be under the normal warently you can get it entended at Renault for upto 120k and 5 yrs if you want with the same cover as the standard policy covers you.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
mustard said:
I need something small, quick and fun - or should I go for a 206 180, given the Renault reputation for lack of build quality? Surely Clio's can't rattle that much, or do they??

renault build quality ?!?
what about peugeot build quality ????? lol !

325i
Cheers for the replies. Spotty dealer rep reckoned they don't like putting mileage on RS cars, as potential customers like low mileage examples. Told him I wasn't going to shell out 11k without driving it first. I mean, I may sit in it and may find it uncomfortable or any other number of things may put me off. Maybe he thought I was a timewaster, although at 41 I'm a bit old for all that! And anyways I don't have any time to waste!!

clio 172 cup
my old peugeot was far worse build quality than my renault far far far worse
that was a 106 quicksilver though not a 206 180 but i wouldnt have another
peugeot

MKIII 138
they should allow a test drive !! i had one on both the 182 and the 225

err.. where bout you based ? maybe go to a CS meet and have a pootle about in some of the 172cup`s 182`s 182cups that will be there

MKIII 138

also as to build quality my experience is the engines can take as much abuse as you can sensibly give them much more than you would expect given the price of the things, anything mechanical is usually sound and looking into the engine bay shows a really well designed modern car.
electronics are usually ok aswell (suprisingly seen as its french) the interior build is the only problem with cheapo plastics in some areas (more than not) and rattles but these can be sorted or ignored they are the kind of rattles that come and go so some days fine lol.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Certainly wouldnt be buying of a dealer who wouldnt let you test drive..... Wierd that one.

Peugeot feels better put together, even thought they have got worse record for reliability. The GTI180 is nowhere near as fun to drive, but as said above, drive both.

Only issue you might have is a few minor niggles, the build quality/reliability is fine they only really suffer things like rattles and minor glitches. I've seen threads with people moaning about alarm faults or temp sensor problems but cant remember any where the car hasnt got to the dealer under its own power.

106 GTi
After years of owning Peugeots I couldnt notice ant major differences in build qulaity between them and the Renault, all about the same in there 'french' qualities!

As Loony says most things are minor niggles.

tiTTy & SV650
Dealer was a dick about giving me a test drive also, patronising little dick was like there's no way you can afford this car or to insure it. So I got my test drive and told him I was buying one but was going to the other branch cause he was a dick. :D

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
what a prick of a dealer, no one buys a car without test driving it first !!!

I had that when I went to test drive a 172, the whole attitude you cant afford this its a group 16 ins ! He soon shut up when I pointed out I wanted to PX my 328 beema! he did let me go for a test drive tho, I still bought my car elsewhere and turned up at the dealership for a new set of mats lol!

Go back to the dealership, the salesman is bound to recognise you and approach you, simple ask to speak to one of his colleagues as you don't have time to waste, Im sure you will get your test drive.

106 GTi
I have ever been told that I cant test drive any car I have been intrested in buying. Have walked out of a few when salesman have been arses before though, it's there loss though as there the ones losing a sale & commision etc.

My local dealer could'nt have been more helpfull when I was buying mine, on the day if intial enquiry they didn't have one to test, but arranged one for the following weekend, which was one of the sales mangers from another branches company car.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
mustard said:
Cheers for the replies. Spotty dealer rep reckoned they don't like putting mileage on RS cars, as potential customers like low mileage examples. Told him I wasn't going to shell out 11k without driving it first. I mean, I may sit in it and may find it uncomfortable or any other number of things may put me off. Maybe he thought I was a timewaster, although at 41 I'm a bit old for all that! And anyways I don't have any time to waste!!

LOL m8 - I ordered mine without even sitting in one! :clown: Many a time I thought 'WTF have I done' and was getting a tad worried as I'm nearly 6' 2" tall. I manage to fit in the 182 fine, mind....

As for your Beemer comparison - my godfather has had three since '89. First a 320i Conv., a 325i and now a 330Ci. I've driven all of them and if you really like the BMW driving 'experience' - you maybe a little disappointed with the 182. Its small, quick, tall and agile - completely at odds with the smooth power, low-down seating position and cruising nature of the mid-high spec 3-series. If you miss the 6-pot delivery of the 3-series too, you may not like the rev-happy thrashiness of the 182's 4-pot. It does have a nice amount of wallop around the 4k mark, however....

D.

Peugeot 207 GT THP
My previous 3 cars were all Peugeots bought new. The last one was a 206 GTI and it was (unfortunately) the most unreliable car I've ever owned.

It was constantly in and out of the dealers for problems they could barely fix and they tended to break or damage more parts on it than they ever actually fixed. The final straw was when I got it back after they'd had it for 2 weeks trying to fix a problem that they'd try to fix on 6 previous occasions, only to find that they'd put three scratches in the paint on the drivers door, 2 small dents in the passenger side rear quarter panel, damaged the carpet so that it needed replacing, left it in a filhy state (it was spotless when it went in to them) and the problem for which they'd kept it 2 weeks reappeared after 2 weeks.

I complained to Peugeot and because my problems had been ongoing I got them to take the car back and cancel the finance agreement. After that, I bought a new Clio 182 and so far, it's been 100% reliable in the 7 months I've owned it.

I have driven the 206 GTI 180 as one of my mates owns one, but I much prefer the Clio as it feels like the better driver's car and you get a lot more for your money. From my personal experience I would never buy another Peugeot, which is a shame because the 206's are pretty good cars. Unfortunately, the 206's are badly let down by the support provided by Peugeot's dealers, but in saying that, I'm sure people on here will have experienced problems with some of Renault's dealers.

MINI JCW
mustard said:
Hi. I'm currently looking for a secondhand 182, pref with Cup extras - couldn't be doing without climate control etc. Decided to go to my local Renault dealer who has 3 in stock but wasn't prepared to let me drive one, despite the 11k price tag - so he can get stuffed. So I've decided to look privately and hopefully save a couple of grand. Does anybody have any experiencing on buying one of these and what to look out for on used examples? I've currently got a 325i which I've had for 10 years and reckon I'm due for a change. I've never owned a Renault and wondering whether I might be making a big mistake given that I've owned BMW's since 1991 and that they're very well put together. I need something small, quick and fun - or should I go for a 206 180, given the Renault reputation for lack of build quality? Surely Clio's can't rattle that much, or do they??

Any comments gratefully rececived - cheers!!

I think you need to test drive the 182 before buying it as it is a different kettle of fish to the BMW, my brother had a 330ci and although the pace was the same as the 182 the driving experience is different. i would say the 182 is more fun to drive on a one off but the BMW better for long journeys.

By the way I have had mine just over a year and no problems what so ever, although as you have probably read thats not the case for everyone.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Ive had a 328i Sport & an M Roadster, sold the latter to buy the 182 . . . and i absolutely love it :D :D

Again i went to Renault, they wouldnt let me test drive a trophy or a 182, implied i was too young to afford the insurance and was simply time wasting.

I then asked if he could at least give me a part-ex value on my current car . . . walked out with him to show him the '00 BMW M Roadster with D*VY J numberplate . . . he then pretty much wanted to be my boyfriend and offer me everything under the sun . . .

He was a tosspot, but i absolutely adore my 182, 8k miles in 2 months would prove that i just cant stop driving it!!

325i
Thanks for the replies fellas! As luck would have it I bumped into a work colleague today who has recently taken delivery of a Trophy and yes I've managed to blag a spin in it. I'll keep you posted!!

rory182 said:
Dealer was a dick about giving me a test drive also, patronising little dick was like there's no way you can afford this car or to insure it. So I got my test drive and told him I was buying one but was going to the other branch cause he was a dick. :D

my mate used to work at Merlin Porche in Nottingham, they used to get pricks going in there all the time in thier 99quid suits , talkin on thier phones shouting buy, sell etc and carrying silver brief cases who were just trying to blag a test drive, he was able to spot the genuin buyers a mile off, the people buying a car would just as likely turn up in tracky bottoms and jumper, than a smart suit. he said it would be sales suicide to judge people by thier age apearance etc.

182 w/busted splitter :-(
I must admit when I went to my local Renault dealer hunting for a 182, the Salesman couldn't have been more helpful - he genuinely knew about the car, it's performance and was honest enough to comment on the 'rattles' and build quality!

As for a test drive, he himself had a blue 182 with Cup Packs (company car, I guess?), and he basically just chucked me the keys, and said "come back in half an hour".

...and yes, he got the business!

i've only ever been refused a test drive once, and that was in the new corrolla supercharged thingy, they said i needed to be 25 to be covered by their insurance for the test drive but if i could get it temp covered by my own insurance then that would be ok.

Racing Blue 182
i was given a test drive of 3 182's at different places before purchasing (one was a renault dealer) bare in mind i was 18 at the time and turned up alone in a 1.2, no one even questioned it. It was the drive that made me purchase one