ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking bout selling 172, What to get

Ibiza Cupra T

Audi A3 (S3 if i can afford it)

Golf GTi/R32 V5 etc

Scoob

any comments from owners of these or previous owners welcome especially Dean on the Cupra;))

Or any other cars considered

r32? but above you say s3 if u can afford it?? an r32 will cost at least £20k id imagine as for an s3 you could pick one up for around £15-£20k for a nice one, id like the idea of a turbo next so the cars im considering would be s3 and ibiza cupra.

as for the a3 i wouldnt bother not very fast or very aspiring to drive unless you get an s3 i honestly cant see you being happy when going from a 172, golfs nice cars but even the r32 isnt miles ahead of the clio in terms of performance but is a car tht i love fast and turns heads as standard. Scoobs yep nice cars but its the running costs and high repair bills that puts people off also this would be personal choice and again whcih model to get?? has to be a turbo in my opinion and with that comes high running costs, as for the ibiza very nice cars but again i cant see it being much of a step forward from the 172.

out of the above it would have to be the r32 or s3 for me fast practical fun to drive and nice and executive all in all a good package but if money isnt too bigger issue then bring on a scoob

Definately a scooby if it was me, provides superb driving thrills with plenty of scope for tasteful mods and superb track day fun.

Other cars are all good in their own way but I chose a scooby over all of them last year.

if it was me, id b buying an r32 golf a) cos its a v6, and makes a wicked noise, and b) its four wheeldrive, handy if u need it

Well having owned an RB5 Impreza for a year then having chopped it in for a Cup Ill give you my thoughts.

Make no mistake Scoobs are very effective ground covering tools and will effortlessly cruise at 3 figures all day long (when not getting fuel..lol!) and feel like they are going half that speed. They also sound very nice - particularly if allowed to sing through a decent exhaust system (something I sadly never got round to doing to mine) and get a lot of attention - mostly good but obviously little scrotes like to vandalise or nick them as with anything half desirable. The real downside for me was the running costs - and this is from someone that was hardly doing any miles in it. Aside from the dreaded insurance the service intervals (on mine) were 7.5k, the mpg was mid 20s if you was very lucky and a lot less if you was actually having fun and the services were on the steep side too from my experience. I have to say that the turbo didnt do it for me and I ended up missing having a car that you have to rev the performance out of - it was all a bit too easy if that doesnt sound odd. My previous car was a 160 bhp tuned 106 Gti that would rev to 8000 and sounded like it would rip your throat out if you stood in its way. As above a Teg R has to be worth a look IMHO.

hmmmmmmmmm..................... decisions decisions

Im just sick of the rattles etc after going in my Mrs brothers Leon, its silent and quick too.

Im not too fussed if its lightning quick, but would like good handling and as fast as the 172 or a little slower.

I have seen the A3s can be tuned with a Jabbasport re-map can be taken from 180BHP to 220-230BHP for £450 or the S3 from 210 to 270 BHP

How will the A3 compare to the 172 with a Jabbasport and coilovers?

How about Focus RS? Prices are dropping due to the new cossie arriving. Or what about LCR?

Sticking to your original question, id go for the audi everytime.

GazTwo

ClioSport Club Member
  Blue c/w Gold Wheels

VW/Audis are to heavy by the time youve made the S3 upto 270bhp it will only doing figures the same as the Clios.

Integra, never been convinced about the look of them but besides that an excellent car, mate bought one in 2000 on 9,000 miles, still has it now on about 60,000 miles and still loves it as the day he picked it up. Before that he had a different car every 6 months, this one he just cant part with.

ClioSport 182

I went from an S3 (company car: 2001 210 bhp model) to 182 (own car). The S3 is much more refined - quick and quiet with a build quality second to none. However, the 182 is much more "fun" to drive on the B roads and you have to work harder (read as driver involvement!). Depends on what your priorities are ...

KnightAzul

Lancia Delta Integrale Evo 2. Cannot go wrong with one of these if you can live with LHD (which i did for years). £13-£14k will buy you a minter with low miles. They are NOT expensive to maintain - blow most things away on the road and are very forgiving, if not flattering to drive. Very unusual and always get admiring glances. Keep it original and it will be reliable and will keep its value.

Luke

integra has 210bhp doesnt it ??

scoobs are indeed heavy on fuel.. well heavy in general. peeking under the bonnet of my m8s STI prodrive 2002 it says kerbweight 1800kgs !!! bound to use a lot of fuel, only a 50liter tank i think and 305bhp eek !

wait for the megane 225 cup.

Well tbh i hate the look of the Teg so thats a no no.

Did consider the Alfa 147 GTa before we got the 172 so that is another option.

The budget is about 9-10k so FRS/Megane are out of the question.

You can get a S3 for £10k on Autotrader and a A3 for £4-9k so i could get the Jabba re-map and coilovers. Id be happy with a estate car that could l keep up with 172s etc.

Oh and if i go down the A3 route i may be able to keep the Hybrid;):D

I do like the Ibizas too

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...................... So many choices.

Just been over at passion ford to see if i could afford a Esc Cos but need another £2-3k ish

Newms sell me your V6 for 10k and i will consider it lol:p

Oh and a M3 is on the list too

[Edited by Smokey on 12 July 2004 at 3:49pm]

Looks like im gonna be going to the dark side and buying a German car looking at my list:eek:

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 12 July 2004

Oh and a M3 is on the list too

[Edited by Smokey on 12 July 2004 at 3:49pm]

Looks like im gonna be going to the dark side and buying a German car looking at my list:eek:

M3 Evo, 3.2 litres, 320bhp, RWD 100 bhp per litre, nuff said

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

racing puma - not the quickest in a straight line but the handling is supposed to be awesome

Clio 197

Only one I would consider is the Scooby or an Evo. 172 is as good as the others one way or the other. VW isnt nice at all.

Id have to be the one to say it, but you can get a tidy Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo for £5,000. Its a five-star rated car and I dont think you can find a faster or more stylish car for the money. In effect, I did a straight swap for my 1993 Williams for a 1999 20V Turbo, plus £450 left over! :eek:

0-100 in 14 secs, still the fastest factory FWD car. LSD, Brembos and... amazingly... top notch build quality! (built by Pininfarina, not Fiat). It doesnt have that final telepathic handling of the Williams, but its almost as good and its a hell of a lot better than youd think it would be with that huge front overhang and massive front weight bias.

I was very sad to see the Williams go, but after having half a dozen people grab me in the street to talk about the car within a couple days of getting it Im convinced I did the right thing!

yeah i do like the Pumas actually, i bet theres loads you can do to tune them being a Ford n all that, fit a 2.1ltr Cosi lump:D

Fiat Coupe................. Not a fan sorry mate. Think they are butt ugly imo of course.

Obviously the less money i can spend the better then i can mod it, but want comfort, quietness and speed lol

sti scoob realitvley comfy + quiet at topgear IMO compared with the evo. old style m3 are rapid. i cant remember (apart from the 360 modena i raced LOL !) another car pulling away from me that fast before. upto 70ish i was doing ok but by 100 he was just sitting behind me.. floored it and it pulled a 0-60 time from that speed upto 155. cornering was great.. but i must add i COULD keep up with it in that regard (eibachs helping).

but still... i dont like the look of the old m3. looks like a 318i from 1955 and many people have the M power badge and m3 bodykits so there is no real way to tell and a 1995-1998 car with that look can be picked up for a few thoudsand so any old chav can be driving one.

integras are pure and raw. maybe missing out on the comfort and fetures + are they safe ?

just some opinions.

dont go with a GTI golf or A3 because they maybe rapid when tunned in a straight line but cornering is going to suffer with all that weight and its still a rather dull feeling to drive, look at inside and out. they are very durable though.

Well if i go for the A3/Golf/Seat i will be fitting 17s and coilovers and lowering it -40mm ish, oh and will fit Toyos so handling should be pretty good, and once tuned should out do a lot of things.

this is interesting cause im just about done with my 172. i was also looking at an a3, couldnt find an s3 within my budget. thing with the a3s is the new ones are so damn sexy they make the old ones look horrible :S

i had a golf vr6 before the 172, and it was a great car. drank fuel like an alcoholic though, going to the 172 where i get 45mpg average from a 28mpg average was a great relief.

i swore id never get another golf but ive personally got a weakness for the 1.8t engine. the v5 was suggested last time but im not convinced myself.

you lot looking at something flashy are wierd, it just draws the polices attention to you, and draws the attention of people wanting to nick it!

ps the m3 evo is a nice enough car, but personally i didnt like the handling. its got a pretty shoddy rep as a gangsta car round here too, personally id not touch them.

Seat leon cupra TDi 150 bhp

pushing 8 secs to 60 and overall mpg of 54.

get a revo or jabba re map and see them up to 200bhp with over 300 lb or torque.

once rolling ur looking like having a monster turbo with mpg on your hands.

uprate the turbo and other things and get over 200 bhp.

have the gorgeous looks outa the box spend another grand on re map and uprating.

but yeah if keeping it petrol, then a teg is my choice.

im thinking teg or golf 150 or leon 150