ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of selling the 200...

As the title says, im seriously considering selling the 200 at the moment. :S

Although I love it to bits, the car is truly amazing, and it's the best i've ever owned, something just isn't clicking. I think it's partially the fact that I don't actually own the car?!

I don't seem to have joy in cleaning the car, like I have with all my previous cars (even though it is still uber clean tbf).

I'm being too much of a 'MPG *****' aswell, due to fuel costs. With my 172, I could go for a blast and still get really good mpg, without worrying about using too much fuel etc, whereas if I drive the 200 slightly hard (i've never ragged the car at all) I worry too much about how much fuel its going to drink.

I think another reason that im not 'clicking' with the car is because I can't tinker with it. Im one of these people that likes to do stuff to my cars to keep my interest, even if it is as small as adding a sticker or even having to repair things. I feel I can't do this in the 200, due to the warranty issues and massive costs to do anything 'good'.

The other point is that now im working, rather than being a dirty student, I feel like im blowing £200 p/m on a car that im not seeing the full benefits of. If I was tracking it or driving enthusiastically everywhere, id accept it, as its soo much fun when you drive it properly, but as it is just a daily driver to the gym/work/missus, I dont really see these benefits. Swapping for another ph2 would get me out of these monthly costs again.

Lastly, me and the missus have just been camping for the week. I left the car at her house and she has driven everywhere. When we did this when I had the 172, I was constantly thinking about it and whether it was alright etc, whereas I haven't given the 200 a second thought this past week. :S Just makes me think.

Making an offer on the Sunflower Ph1 in my village is looking more and more appealing...

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Could buy my Phase 2 at the end of Winter....

Is yours FF or Cup as theres a guy on renaultsport looking for a 200 FF RB

S

MPG wise I did a 60 mile run in the trophy the other day- all motorway- got 38 MPG

It's a Cup, so hasn't got the CC or other toys. I think i've been speaking to that guy over on clio197.net.
Are you driving the Trophy atm Steve, or have you got another Ph2 aswell?

But I'll swap ya?
Pay off the finance and you've got a deal*.

*Only a deal if yours isn't a shed. ;)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
It's a Cup, so hasn't got the CC or other toys. I think i've been speaking to that guy over on clio197.net.
Are you driving the Trophy atm Steve, or have you got another Ph2 aswell?

Pay off the finance and you've got a deal*.

*Only a deal if yours isn't a shed. ;)

Trophy goes tomorrow- for a PX ( 197 cup) & collect the 172 at the same time
Actually cant wait- treated myself to the last Sabelt steering wheel from wests as well-

hoping to make it the best one on here over the next 3/4 weeks

Steve

I hear what you are saying about the not being able to tinker with it thing, I feel sort of guilty whenever I start pulling bits off my 200 as it's still so new/fresh, and I start to think about going back to a 172 so I can tear it to bits every weekend. I'm one of these people if I'm not modifying the car I'll get bored and want something else.

Once I think about it for a bit though, I realise by the time I spend money maintaining a 172 every month, I'm probably no better off than I am with the monthly payments for the 200, which I never worry about breaking as it's under warranty anyway.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
im with joe on that, you think a 172 would be cheap motoring, until you go back to one and realise its not really, at least if you want to keep it up to a high standard

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Great idea until you need to live with a decade old car.

Winter usually tests peoples love for older cars I find.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
With a car for Winter I try & find the best 'older' examples- last year was that 21k phase 1 Full renault Hist 1 owner-
total minter....

If I had a 200 I would probably try & go down to a trophy or something- I think a Phase 1 is a little to far back in time...
S

Astra SRI/ Hornet
new cars are always a bit souless imo. try a good road trip in it with mates and gain some good memories with it. stop being a vagina thinking about fuel bills and enjoy it. like you said youre working so have the money. the grass is always greener on the other side so they say.

Fiesta ST-3
I defo agree with you Paul that it's due to not owning the car. Some thing that you can call your own, you take much more pride in and feel the value of it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my ph1 is a complete minter with full history, last winter the alternator died, then the aux belt tensioner then the battery then the window regulator all within 2 months. great summer toy, not an all round runabout, thats why i went in and ordered the GT

120d M Sport
As you're a keen detailer iirc, with a new car it doesn't need tidying up like an older car which may need polishing to improve the finish and get it looking 'new' over a period of time.

It's for reasons like you've outlined that I won't buy a new car like a 200 after graduating, until I'm in a position to keep something old and fun like my 106 gti or similar.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I defo agree with you Paul that it's due to not owning the car. Some thing that you can call your own, you take much more pride in and feel the value of it.

I do too.

Not owning the car, and knowing that in 12 months you have to either give it back or find another £8/9/10k to keep it, is heartbreaking. Especially when your forking out every month for it.

I'm glad i'm not stuck in the never ending finance loop that a lot of people are in now, but i would like a 200. And its an accessible way into nice new car ownership.

I dont rate the mpg theory though, I never drove the Z for that reason, but the meg gets similar economy and i've driven it loads since picking it up. Dont mind wasting petrol if i know i'll really enjoy the drive!

After owning my M3 for only 2days I can officially laugh at people thinking the 200 is uneconomical, unless you downgrade to something older/less spec'd the Clio 200 is perfect for what it is. IMO of course.

Nick

I do think the whole tinkering thing is a massive part of my cars. Even fixing them makes it more exciting to own them. My old 172 was always breaking down, but I loved it to bits.
This sunflower that I want looks pretty mint tbh. I don't think I'd want a ph1 unless it was in that colour.
With the ph2, I don't think I'd want to settle for a boggo colour.

If I had a 200 I would probably try & go down to a trophy or something- I think a Phase 1 is a little to far back in time...
S
It's money aswell. If I am to get rid of the 200, id want to pay out as little as possible for the replacement. I'm hoping that I can get the sunflower cheap (fingers crossed). I wouldn't mind a 182 though. Not too bothered about a trophy though tbh.
The sunflower does proper tempt me though, due to the rarity of it.

To add, the more I think of it, the more the thought of owning the Sunflower makes me moist...
Make it a minter, then add Yozza Pea-Shooter exhaust system, coilies, ph2 rear bumper and Cup Spoiler. Win.

Basically, im an idiot who cant be happy with an epic car.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Since I sold my 200 i've lost interest in cars completely.

Sadly it was so bad as a family car it was a joke so it had to go, but as a young guy with no family, its an epic epic car. No idea why you'd want to get rid of one for a crappy ph-1. You're bonkers.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I have read the comments in this thread and I am assuming that you have area he'd a certain point in your life that most young males including my self reach or have reached.

It's the point where you realise that you are fed up. Fed up of having your weekend toy as a daily. Fed up paying out of the arse for fuel. Fed up of high insurance. Fed up of parking your car outside work or outside your house on a night and worrying about it being caught by somebody's door or vandalised.

I went through that same thing, I refused to sell my VTS even though I was putting £300 a month in it just to get to work and back. Even though I was going deaf from the straight through exhaust, even though I was waking everyone on my street up at 5am setting off to work on a morning.

What you want is to get a rubbish daily. Sounds daft but it worked for me. I have a Long wheel based transit vanthat I use through the week and I use the 182 on the weekend. I appreciate the 182 so much more, plus I am saving on fuel and The 182 hardly gets any miles on it.

So I recommend either getting a 172 that you are not too bothered about getting a dint here and there as a daily or get your self a little run about and use your 200 on the weekend.

That's my 2p's worth

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
To add, the more I think of it, the more the thought of owning the Sunflower makes me moist...
Make it a minter, then add Yozza Pea-Shooter exhaust system, coilies, ph2 rear bumper and Cup Spoiler. Win.

Basically, im an idiot who cant be happy with an epic car.

I didn't think yozza did a pea shooter system?

I disagree with that in some sense in my circumstance. I only travel 5 miles to work, so its not killing me too much on fuel, although it still does drink it for how many miles I do. Id go as far as saying I dont really need it for work. Whilst it was on order last winter, I was cycling about 7-8miles in the freezing weather to and from work.
Insurance wise, it is the lowest i've payed for insurance since I passed my test (£800 this year, should go down to about £600 next time).
But it is kinda the same, as I do technically spend around £300+p/m on this car (payments and fuel wise).
Its more of the fact that im still in the "I want to do stuff with my car" phase, rather than "im a grown up and need a reliable car".
I didn't think yozza did a pea shooter system?
Might not be Yozza then. I thought it was a Yozza exhaust.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Insurance wise, it is the lowest i've payed for insurance since I passed my test (£800 this year, should go down to about £600 next time).I do technically spend around £300+p/m on this car (payments and fuel wise).
Its more that im still in the "I want to do stuff with my car" phase, rather than "im a grown up and need a reliable car".

i see. you are paying £300+ PM to have vehicle for your commute thats 8 miles away? IMO thats a big chunk of disposable income a month. i think you need to ask your self if you would still get the same from a 172 that could save you £300+ PM?

i will always be in the "I want to do stuff with my car" phase. i doubt very much i will ever lose this, however i wanted to share what has worked for me.

the best thing i ever did was bin off having my "toy" as my daily. it makes driving the "toy" so much more enjoyable on a weekend. i understand that this may not be economically viable for everyone but i can honestly say that i will never drive my "toy" for work again.

i see. you are paying £300+ PM to have vehicle for your commute thats 8 miles away? IMO thats a big chunk of disposable income a month. i think you need to ask your self if you would still get the same from a 172 that could save you £300+ PM?
This is one of my big arguments for selling. Im spending that much on a car that isn't mine, whereas if I sold up, bought a 172, id have lower running costs (probably outweighed by slightly higher insurance), but then aslong as £200's (cost of my monthly payment on the 200) worth of stuff didn't go wrong per month, id be better off.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
This is one of my big arguments for selling. Im spending that much on a car that isn't mine, whereas if I sold up, bought a 172, id have lower running costs (probably outweighed by slightly higher insurance), but then aslong as £200's (cost of my monthly payment on the 200) worth of stuff didn't go wrong per month, id be better off.

by the sound of things you have already made your decision...

i cant see £200's worth of stuff going wrong with a 172. £2400 a year fixing things on any vehicle is nuts imo. the beauty of the 1*2's is that apart from the belts they are relatively cheap to maintain.

what you going to do with the 200, just give it back after the end of the lease hire period?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
depends how bad you get the modding bug, i recon at a rough guess, cars cost me £1000 a month, thats everything from buying, fuel, servicing and modding!

This will all be outweighed by the fact you're going to spend more than £200 every month first of all making it mint, then keeping it mint, then buying all the extra bits you want such as the Yoz system. So you'll be spending the same money every month, possibly more, but you'll have an older car that you have to MOT and worry about breaking. This makes no sense to me.

Sell the 200 if you genuinely just do not get along with it and would prefer a PH1, but the saving money argument is invalid IMO.