ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of selling the 200...

I know what you mean about not being able to tinker with things though. Thats why i always buy cars that need a bit of work, keeps me occupied.

This is a massive massive point. Tinkering keeps my interests in cars. Im like a child really. Get bored of things quickly, even if they are amazing!

Yeah I managed on the moped alright mate, had issues when the key snapped in the fuel filler because of the cold and wheel spinning up hills the same in the car. I only ever came off the thing in the dry! Even got me to Skegness once although I wouldnt like to repeat it!

I'm almost always about so give me a text if you want to go for a drive.

LY 182
Swapsies? :eek:

If I had the extra cash required for a swap then I would mate haha.

If you do sell up and want a LY then I'd potentially be interested in a deal. Mechanically sound but needs some paintwork and would probably fall in to the category of needing tinkering with which you said you'd enjoy.

I love it to bits but may need to free some finance myself at some point so can't rule anything out.

Ive been tempted by a 200 several times, new car appeal, but id never sell my 172ph2(none cup) at the moment, the 200 is all well and good but if your a person who likes to "mod" cars like me....i couldnt leave it alone, thus costing a bomb for the new parts and upgrades. Plus! i wouldnt want to drive it very hard like do my 172, (it really does get some serious stick now its pretty heavily modded) as id be worrying about stone chips and all those paint related things that HAVE to happen to new cars lol, nothing stays mint if you drive it. Once it gets a bit shabby all over paint wise, you kinda of relax on the paint side and except it, but on a new car its a whole bunch of hurt for the first few years lol.

You reallly cant beat a ph1/ph2 clio for thrills per £ in IMO, ive spent about 4 grand on upgrades to mine, which is about 2.5x what the cars worth, as its high miler (all my miles lol). The paints shabby, it doesnt get cleaned that often, and its completely stripped out so looks pretty bad inside (apart from my nice buckets), but in the twists it never fails to keep me coming back for more. I dont really buy cars for a badge or for show, i buy them to drive them as hard as safely possible on the track and spirited drives on the road, if your buying a car for show then a 200 is a decent choice in the £ bracket, but you should drive it it for show lol and thats something i cant do lol, id have to put my stamp on it, "function over form".

This is how sure i am , im keeping my clio, i have a 26k F4R engine sat on a stand waiting for when this baby blows, she'll be "Spray Shack" branded over the winter, and tracked next year.

Just my two penneth,

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
+1 ^^^

I have a FF 200, 197 Cup, 197 FF, Honda civic type R & im driving around in a 52 plate Clio 172

S

^ Im glad people can see where i'm coming from. The 1*2's are just more fun to drive as dailys.

I r still unsure what to do. I don't think the thought of selling is going to leave though, as its been in the back of my mind for a few months now.

Discounted 1*2 parts
I r still unsure what to do. I don't think the thought of selling is going to leave though, as its been in the back of my mind for a few months now.

Trust me that thought will never disappear now, IMO cut your losses now. I worked out when I sold mine, including the PCP, insurance and petrol it was costing me £300-£350 to drive it a few times a month. I traded it in and got maybe £1000 less than selling private but it may have taken me 3/4 months to sell which equals out the £1000 drop! It's amazing how quickly your savings increase when putting that £350 away every month ;)

Trust me that thought will never disappear now, IMO cut your losses now. I worked out when I sold mine, including the PCP, insurance and petrol it was costing me £300-£350 to drive it a few times a month. I traded it in and got maybe £1000 less than selling private but it may have taken me 3/4 months to sell which equals out the £1000 drop! It's amazing how quickly your savings increase when putting that £350 away every month ;)
Yup I know. Its just what route I take from here...
Keep the 200 = Have no money and be constantly thinking about selling
Sell and buy another 1*2 = Have very little money
Sell and got with my silly moped idea = Have lots of spare money and means I don't have to rush into buying a 1*2

I can disagree there. If my M3 wasnt currently in a million pieces, i would much prefer to drive it 100 miles a day to work & back.
The Trophy, is dare i say it, ruddy awful lol.
I've only ever driven 4 cars. A '97 1.2 Mk2 Punto, '53 plate 1.2. Clio Extreme (y0), 172 and 200. The 172 was the most fun, even if I did buy an absolute shitter.

All this week ive been driving my Mrs's Clio Phase 1 1.2 16V "SPORT" so it says on V5......and i can say its still really fun to drive, just have to carry a bit of speed, and change gear more regular than a 172 if cruising, shes goes well.

Westfield, 182, 200
I'm lucky to own my 200 outright, but after spending £300 to replace the parts stolen off it & the wife not using it for work (Tesco) in case it gets a trolley in it, it's going. Second hand car prices are in a slump and we were offered an ampount that I'm happy with.

I've just bought a 54 plate 182 (pick it up Sunday) so we can actually use the car instead of hiding it in a friend's garage.

I've only had a test drive (boy, the clutch is heavy) but it's comfier than my 200 with the cup pack (I am 43!!) and it doesn't have a throttle like a rubber band!!

Ian.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I actually think reading between the lines you're living beyond your means. Correct me if i'm wrong but your only young and work part time? No wonder your begining to struggle with running costs!! £200 a month, thats before fuel, tax insurance, service costs...... f**k that!

Also I love it when people go back to a 172 from a 197/200, "ooooh they are so raw, more fun!" maybe, but the rattles, long throw sloppy gear change, rattly interior, and gruff drive train forget to get a mention? ;)

All MK3's are a better place to be, no ifs or buts ;)

The MK2's are great, i've had 3, but most people who move back only do it for financial reasons

I actually think reading between the lines you're living beyond your means. Correct me if i'm wrong but your only young and work part time? No wonder your begining to struggle with running costs!! £200 a month, thats before fuel, tax insurance, service costs...... f**k that!
That is true to a certain extent. I can afford to own it. But, since starting work, my priorities have now changed. Im now wanting to start building up my savings, rather than spend all my money on my crazy shenanigans, so that I can save for a house etc.
Back when I ordered this, I was a student, as well as working, so I wasn't bothered about money. I was used to having none.
That being said, I couldn't go back down to a 1.2. If im losing all power, it'd have to be a moped. 2.0 Clio or nothing.

Last edited:

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
6 gears on a 50cc ollie, as if that's going to be any fun!

Paul you want a cheap rev and go scooter, aprilias etc are unreliable, still slow, a lot more expensive to insure, there's no upsides to them!

Yup, ill be looking at a cheap ass 125cc ped/bike/whatever.

The mentioned do look good, but from what i've read, are expensive to repair?! I haven't got the first idea about peds. Im nipping to a shop on my way to work to see what advice they can give etc. My CBT will be £110, which isn't bad.
Although its not the best time to do it, which I fully understand, ill finally be able to get a bike licence sorted. Ive wanted a bike since I was 16.

How much would it generally be to insure myself with a ped? (does it count towards my car's ncb?)

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
6 gears on a 50cc ollie, as if that's going to be any fun!

Paul you want a cheap rev and go scooter, aprilias etc are unreliable, still slow, a lot more expensive to insure, there's no upsides to them!

I disagree. Mine has (in pieces at the moment) a near-race-spec engine that me and my Dad built (him and his cousin used to race 2-stroke bikes). You needed 6 gears with the sprockets I ran. It'd hit 80mph easily downhill.

Last edited:
  Clio
Yup, ill be looking at a cheap ass 125cc ped/bike/whatever.

The mentioned do look good, but from what i've read, are expensive to repair?! I haven't got the first idea about peds. Im nipping to a shop on my way to work to see what advice they can give etc. My CBT will be £110, which isn't bad.
Although its not the best time to do it, which I fully understand, ill finally be able to get a bike licence sorted. Ive wanted a bike since I was 16.

i did the same last year mate i passed in december my full bike licence and now i have a tuned bandit 600 and a speed triple.

i havnt touched the clio since jan when it was sorn should have sold it then . its just gathering dust and i need to sell it..

my advice is watch the bike bug it got me and may have you lol i started on a et4 vepa 125 in 2010 (i never did all the 16 year old ped stuff) delayed teenage kicks

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Do you want looks or practicality?

Best 125 is the RS125 imo, derestricted to around 30hp (a bit naughty though :eek:), but its unreliable as hell.

Most practical 125 is the cg/ybr. Look s**t but bulletproof and cheap. Tried and tested, brilliant bikes.

Reliable, good looking bikes, imo, are the hyosung gt125r or the yamaha r125

A bit of an adventure style, comfy, reliable bike, honda varadero 125. I had one of these, will sit at 80, mine was on nearly 30k when i sold it and never had a problem.

But if you plan to get a licence, go for a cg, buy it, ride it over winter, do your licence, sell it in spring for more than you paid now. Thats the sensible thing to do, not that anyone ever does it lol

Best advice, dont buy new, the dealers will tempt you with cheap/free insurance and kit but its just not worth it.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I disagree. Mine has (in pieces at the moment) a near-race-spec engine that me and my Dad built (him and his cousin used to race 2-stroke bikes). You needed 6 gears with the sprockets I ran. It'd hit 80mph easily downhill.

80mph?? Downhill??

That's like half the speed of my BMW.

There are 3 types of 2 wheeled vehicle. Pushbike, 50cc ped for cheap motoring and nipping around, and full on sportsbike for fun. Anything else is just unneccessary and a waste of time. Spending a load of money on a shitty 125 to try and be cool is, well, uncool. The only excuse for this would be being 17, but even then it's a weak excuse as that's driving age.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
80mph?? Downhill??

That's like half the speed of my BMW.

There are 3 types of 2 wheeled vehicle. Pushbike, 50cc ped for cheap motoring and nipping around, and full on sportsbike for fun. Anything else is just unneccessary and a waste of time. Spending a load of money on a shitty 125 to try and be cool is, well, uncool. The only excuse for this would be being 17, but even then it's a weak excuse as that's driving age.

You must of had a little play on an RS125/250 in your time. Buckets of 2 stroke fun, its not fast, and you have to rev its nuts off to get anywhere, but so much fun!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Don't see what the point is in them though, also not sure on the fun factor! It's cheaper for me to insure an R6 over an RS125, completely pointless. They arent fast, theyre expensive to buy and run and insure, they sound rubbish, I could go on.

The only upside is the smell :D

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Love the smell :approve:

I do agree, i'd not have one if I got a bike again, I'd rather a sportier 600+, especially after the 600r. I would like another go on one though.