ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

thinking of trading 172cup

clio 172 cup
had my clio just over a year now, and thinking i fancy a change been looking at few civic type r's. have been offered 1 in straight swap, my 53plate 172 cup 37k miles mint, for 02 plate black civic type r 80k miles.
i no the civic has lot higher milage but they seem to hold there money a lot better.
would you class the civic as an upgrade?
never driven a type r heard there good cars, just wondering peoples opinions on them? and if i should do it

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I would from a cup, maybe a newer 182 it would be a side step.

I'd be looking to pay a bit more and get a younger one mate.

Oh Misano red and cosmic grey pwn all!

Cosmic come with a bit of a premium because they are fairly newer iirc.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Nice, really really like that colour, back lights are the only thing I would alter.

Some love the engine some don't, i'm not a big fan of 9000rpm to get everywhere but do have a soft spot for them.

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
I'd take it tbh, fair enough it has double the miles but 80k is nothing for one of them and it will probably be easier to sell on.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Aye im a Honda fan aswell as you know...

If you do get one mate make sure its had the valve clearence done atleast every 2 years or 24k, its a £220 job from Honda. Keeps it sweet.

Also, its chain driven so no need for a belt change

Track 172cup
by any chance was this guy on pistonheads ? i got offered a black CTR with 81k and FHSH in a swap for my 182

i was actually looking for a CTR before my 182 but when i went and test drove one i wasn't as keen, their good cars but i didn't think it was anything special, i was expecting a bit more 'drama' from them to live up to the hype of them but it didn't live up to expectations for me (i wanted one for years previously)

nice when on Vtec but you really have to ring its neck out to get the most out of it

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
nice when on Vtec but you really have to ring its neck out to get the most out of it
Some of the vtec fans might say we're wrong but have to agree it's one thing that puts me off.

clio 172 cup
thats thing havent much money at min as misses wants to get a place lol, so could afford few ££££ on top of my car.
what the drive like compared to the 172 cup?

clio 172 cup
by any chance was this guy on pistonheads ? i got offered a black CTR with 81k and FHSH in a swap for my 182

i was actually looking for a CTR before my 182 but when i went and test drove one i wasn't as keen, their good cars but i didn't think it was anything special, i was expecting a bit more 'drama' from them to live up to the hype of them but it didn't live up to expectations for me (i wanted one for years previously)

could be ill get link to car

Track 172cup
Some of the vtec fans might say we're wrong but have to agree it's one thing that puts me off.

Yeh i was disappointed to say the least when i drove one, there doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground for playing about with them, it's either take it easy and drive like Miss Daisy or go all out and foot to the floor constantly, if you do drive it normally they feel fairly average tbh

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Couldn't agree more.

The steering wasn't much for me, not involving enough I like a nice weighty steering wheel.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Try test driving one for suspension damage it's not easy as there is little feedback imo through the wheel.

Track 172cup
haha yeh theres not much feedback with them initially, the steering seems to tighten up a bit the harder you them but still not as involved as i thought it would be since people rave about it so much

still doesn't put me off getting another Vtec though (S2000 :) ), it just doesn't work great with that particular package imo

Iceberg 172
I would from a cup, maybe a newer 182 it would be a side step.

Can I ask (not in a shitty or defensive way!) but why you think a 172 cup would be a step up but a 182 would be a side step?

Is this purely on the age of the vehicle?

As TBH having driven a few EP3's and now owning a Cup from a driving point of view I'd take the cup everyday. I guess on reliability, build quality and re sale value I'd choose the EP3 but I would prefer a lower mileage Cup than a relatively high mileage EP3.

I think the EP3 has more of a boy racer image to it, Black ones are as common as belly buttons, VTEC drinks oil and I think the Cup's look nicer than the EP3's.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Not that bad boy racer image imo, not around me anyway. Late 20's even early 30's people are driving them.

They are becoming more accessable to younger people because of price tho.

I would say the 182 is more refined and younger than the cup so a side step.

Both have their pro's and cons.

I'm not sure what I would have tho. Probably the civic.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Looks ok from the dodgy pictures, I personally would.

You're quids in tbf.

Iceberg 172
I personally wouldn't unless it was to make a profit... problem is, there's so many Black CTR's I can't see how it would be an easy car to sell unless you had it stupidly cheap or it was the best example for sensible money.

The question to ask is... Why does he want to swap a £5k car for a £4k car??????? That would indicate to me that 1) There's something wrong with it. 2) He's struggling to sell it. 3) It's not worth £5k.

Not a bad car, but still over priced IMO. When they are 2k hacks I may run around in one, but wouldn't trade the clio for it unless you were in the market for a different car and were sure you could sell that one on to make a profit for your new car. If its just because the offer was there, then be wary. I never like the idea of swaps. You could have a very well looked after car and risk swapping it for something that the owner wants rid of for some reason.

Honda & VW
I'd take it tbh, fair enough it has double the miles but 80k is nothing for one of them and it will probably be easier to sell on.

Pish - a Cup with under 40k will be alot easier to sell.
Agreed 80k on a Honda engine is sod all but EP3's are ten a penny, especially in Black - it'd need to be something special or have very low miles to attract buyers.

Stick with the Cup!! More Fun imo

Honda & VW
I personally wouldn't unless it was to make a profit... problem is, there's so many Black CTR's I can't see how it would be an easy car to sell unless you had it stupidly cheap or it was the best example for sensible money.

The question to ask is... Why does he want to swap a £5k car for a £4k car??????? That would indicate to me that 1) There's something wrong with it. 2) He's struggling to sell it. 3) It's not worth £5k.

or 4) all of the above!!!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
But his cup is still worth 3.5 4k not guranteed. Ep3's are still 5k plus. Not many dropping under that imo.

Honda & VW
But his cup is still worth 3.5 4k not guranteed. Ep3's are still 5k plus. Not many dropping under that imo.

Currently i would say the cheaper the car the easier to sell, if i had about 4k to spend now i'd opt for a Cup with 40k over an Ep3 with 50k especially as i'd get change for £4k.

personally it's a no brainer!!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Pass, keep the Cup. My drives/experience of EP3's are dull tbh. The build form the ones ive seen aint that great either. Silver trim finish worn, few rattles here and there also. Also have lots of steering rack problems (do a search) and like to drink oil.

I owned a 172cup for 4 years and loved everything about it. Since then owned a few cars in between and current have an 02 ctr which I'm trading in for a clio 200ff soon.

I test drove a few ctr's when i had the cup and didn't think much to them - no mid range. I got the ctr as a temporary car for 6 months but ended up keeping it for 2 years to date. The reason being I thought i'd try one out again and it was completely different to the others i tried years before. Don't know why but it pulls so hard from 2000rpm upto v-tec then it feels like a turbo - similar to my old stage 1 R26. But like others have said the ctr drinks oil like petrol but the mpg is the same as my cup. Can get 300 miles on 50 litres with spirited vtec driving each day. I think they're both about as fast as each other from my experience.

If you really want to trade just make sure the ctr feels rapid as i believe there are definate dogs out there. Check gear box is not notchy and brakes etc. Steering can be iffy but good tyres can make a positive effect. Also the first ctr you have posted is missing it's aerial - if it's snapped off that's £150 for parts - cos i did the same at local car wash. I also think it's too much - should be looking to pay around £3800 for around 95k miles. They ware ok but seats, steering wheel, gear knob, door cards etc can show lots of ware - similar to clio. Final point my ctr is fantasic on track, doesn't seem to understeer so it c***s the inside rear which feels great when your on it.

Sorry for the mega long post.