ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of upgrading - couple of q's

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Ive been wanting to upgrade my mid 07 macbook for a while now but just could never bring myself to do it while mine is working. But with the new ipod offer and recent upgrades i think now is the best time.

My current spec is white 13' 2.16 c2d/2GB/120GB/superdrive/snow leopard

What advantages would a new i5 MBP have over mine, would I notice the speed difference? Programs like PS do take a while to load on mine atm.

I think the screen would be the biggest improvement being bigger and LED backlit?

What is the difference between the 15" 2.4 and 2.53? I dont need the extra HDD space, is the processor significantly better? Over £100 between them.

I would of asked these questions to the guys at the store on Monday when i went to look at them but they were too busy telling people they had no basic ipads in stock.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
It'll be a lot quicker.

But have you thought about an iMac? and then keep your MacBook for mobile use.
I have but dont think it would be used much, i prefer to compute in the living room!

Any thoughts on the difference between the 2 MBP specs?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The lower model you quoted will be more than enough for a notebook, trust me.

If you use Photoshop or any of the suite, like I do; RAM will be a greater limiting factor before the processor.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Definitely prioritise RAM over processor speed. It's not very often the CPU gets maxed out anyway so you wouldn't really notice the performance difference much.
I'd definitely recommend getting a solid state hard drive though. My MBP opens PhotoShop a good 3 or 4 seconds faster than the display models in the Apple store. It also takes about 10 seconds to start up - epic!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Went and bought one, spent too long thinking about it. Got a better student discount in store too for some reason, and much cheaper apple care too :)

Unbelievable how much quicker this is than my old macbook, photoshop opens so much quicker, as do nearly all the programs :)

15" screen is a dream too, seems so big! Got the lower model, the guy in the store even said if you don't want the bigger HDD its not worth it.

Anyone know how to move my iphone across without using migration assistant?