ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

This is driving me insane!!

Before I write this thread, heres the disclaimer: All of the events mentioned below which refer to driving faster than 70mph took place on a private road closed to the general public, obviously.

I dont know what it is, but my 182 starts howling past 85 - 90 ish. It sounds like its coming from the light panel, and its definitely some bit of trim or something which is caught by the wind because if theres a gust itll do it as well.

I could deal with it if it was a little whistle or something, but this is PROPERLY loud and very very irritating. Its been back to renault to sort it out on warranty. They did what they could but obviously they cant test drive it above 70 (and dont have access to my secret private road hehehe), so its still there.

Anybody at all experienced anything similar to this?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

shouldnt be driving over 70 mph on the roads, and when on a track u will be concentrating on what your doing to much to be distracted by a wind noise, so no problem. should of bought german if u wanted less problems and noises

Trophy 263 + 265

im sure a few of us have been on that private road also.

;)

make them sort it out.

tell them it comes on at 70 then accidently carry on accelerating till the whistle kicks in.

opps sorry so easy to get carried away in this car;)

should do the trick

dont let them fob you off

im sure they understand that you will want your 182 to do that speed without making loud noises

even renault arnt that thick

good luck m8

mate, im looking for a solution to the problem here. If i could ignore it, believe me i would.

And i think its kind of up to me how fast i drive on a track or on the autobahn.

Thanks for you comment.

My 172 does this, but only with the climate switched off! I keep the climate on all the time and no more noise. Private roads of course!;)

Trophy 263 + 265

Quote: Originally posted by MaLicE on 04 February 2005

shouldnt be driving over 70 mph on the roads, and when on a track u will be concentrating on what your doing to much to be distracted by a wind noise, so no problem. should of bought german if u wanted less problems and noises
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

is he having a laugh:sick:

Just want to reiterate, this isnt just some kind of wind noise, and its not me being picky here. Anybody in the world who hears this would agree that its definitely not normal.

I mean it drowns out the music with the volume set to 12!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

Quote: Originally posted by clio182 on 04 February 2005
Quote: Originally posted by MaLicE on 04 February 2005shouldnt be driving over 70 mph on the roads, and when on a track u will be concentrating on what your doing to much to be distracted by a wind noise, so no problem. should of bought german if u wanted less problems and noises [/QUOTE]^^^^^^^^^^^^^is he having a laugh:sick:

not really seeing as the max speed limit on brittish roads is 70....

Trophy 263 + 265

Quote: Originally posted by clio182 on 04 February 2005

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

is he having a laugh:sick:

not really seeing as the max speed limit on brittish roads is 70....
its krusty the :p from the simpsons

from a guy that dives a clio turbo and has nearly 2500 posts on the board that is very hard to swallow.:cry:

may be you should trade your motor in for a lada.

should struggle to top 70 so you wont get into trouble with the law:oops:

*giggle* This is exactly why I put the disclaimer in, so people wouldnt start going on and on about the dangers of speeding.

@ 182blue: Its hard to pinpoint exactly where its coming from, but thats an interesting thought. It sounds like its either the top of the dash or like i said in the light panel. I was thinking maybe that rubbery trim around the windscreen, but it seems fine to me at first glance.

Clio 197

My wipers whistle at illegal motorway speeds.

I flick them on temporarily, and the whistle goes away!

PS This has been tested in a wind tunnel, and not on the M5.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

right so your admitting to going faster than 70 ?

i dont need to speed, i have nothing to proove, maybee you should go find some police and show them that you like to brake the limit and then they can ban you and save a few lifes on the road...

right so your admitting to going faster than 70 ?

i dont need to speed, i have nothing to proove, maybee you should go find some police and show them that you like to brake the limit and then they can ban you and save a few lifes on the road...
Dude, weve heard the dont speed doctrine enough times. If it makes you happier, i get this howl even at 70 on a windy day. And theres nothing more annoying than that coz it really is a proper howl.

Omar said: illegal motorway speeds, which doesnt mean he was doing them on the motorway. In actual fact he found this out during one of his visits to his local wind tunnel, so its all good :)

[Edited by kotafey on 04 February 2005 at 6:49pm] - spelling

Trophy 263 + 265

sorry kotafey

one last dig i promise;)

am i the only one that thinks MaLicE is talking out of his @rse ?

malicE im not some spotty 19 year old with a car my daddy brought with a subscrition to max power(although the totty is nice in it sometimes)

been driving for over 15 years and quess what my license is old battered but TOTALY CLEAN:eek:

im sure most of the guys on this board will be laughing there b0ll0cks of at us by now.

shall we call it a day

all good fun:D

p.s. its save a few lives not lifes

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

so that makes me 19 and my dad bought my car?

so u have been driving for over 15 years well done, but you openly admit to braking the speed limit which is not only against the law but is also stupid... kotafey said in his original post "my 182 starts howling past 85 - 90 ish" which on brittish roads is above the limmit so he shouldnt worry for every day driving...

but if your happy with admitting to an illegal activity on brittish roads, i sudgest you read the forum rules about not mentioning illegal activities ... other wise they might ban u
:eek: :eek:

[Edited by MaLicE on 2/4/2005 7:08:28 PM]

Punto/Clio GTT

so u have been driving for over 15 years well done, but you openly admit to braking the speed limit which is not only against the law but is also stupid... kotafey said in his original post "my 182 starts howling past 85 - 90 ish" which on brittish roads is above the limmit so he shouldnt worry for every day driving...

but if your happy with admitting to an illegal activity on brittish roads, i sudgest you read the forum rules about not mentioning illegal activities ...

[Edited by MaLicE on 2/4/2005 7:08:28 PM]

ive never met you, but i have to agree with 182 up there ^, your keyboard warriorin, chill bud! hes covered his arse by sayin he used his own runway, so cliosport aint gonna moan are they? he just wants to fix the problem with his car, not have smart arse replies!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep

Sick of all the do gooders on this site - really spoiling it IMO.

And I have never sped in my car - I just got one with 182bhp so I could say I had 182 bhp - never even taken it above 70 becasue I think it would be a sin to do so.

All people that speed should rot in hell.

FFS!!!!!!!!!!

Clio 197

but people can admit to whatever they like... full stop.

I would love to see someone posting pics of their tints, only to get banned from the forum because tinting the front windows is illegal!!

As for speeding... while were at it:

I did 155MPH on what we would consider to be a dual carriageway, in Germany. It was totally legal, but no less dangerous than doing it here. Here, I would have been Jailed.

I hope Ive made my point.

Can we all kiss and make up?

Quote: Originally posted by omar on 04 February 2005

I did 155MPH on what we would consider to be a dual carriageway, in Germany. It was totally legal, but no less dangerous than doing it here. Here, I would have been Jailed.
Was that in the 182? Thats pretty damn good if it was! :eek:

I did a GPS confirmed 75 mph on a duel carrigeway today.

Am I gonna burn in hell?

If so see you all there...

Punto/Clio GTT

check scuttle panel? front grille, look underneath see if your heatshields are all tight possibly? sounds like winds going under somethin or into somethin

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

topsecret in japan have 1000bhp supras but by law they have to be limited to 86mph i think it is, does that make them stupid or does that mean its a waste of time!! to get the most power out of your car it doesnt mean it has to go stupidly fast aswell, as im sure you would find a 182 would accellerate up to a speed in a set amount of time but it wont continue on accellerating at that rate to its max speed its acceleration will slow down.

so me saying that breaking the law is a bad thing and im a do gooder ??? i thought i was just following the forum rules ??? or does that make me a do gooder too lol ?

kotafey i sudgest u either take the renault mechanic to your private track, or get a wind speed meter and find a motorway with a windspeed of over 30 mph and then drive at 70mph head on in to it... that way you will simulate the windspeed your car will experience if there was 0mph wind speed and you are doing 85-90mph on your "private test track"

Trophy 263 + 265

i dont remember in any of my replies that i have also claimed to exceed the speed limit ?:eek:

i dont want to get in trouble with the police mate.

so im sure i have not broken any forum rules.

the only rule that is being broken is this going of topic,i think we are both to blame for that.

lets bring this to an end now i think everyone will read enough to keep them laughing for a while.

truce ?

p.s. the 19 year old spotty kid was not amied at you it was just to let you know i wasnt someone who was new to driving mate.

Punto/Clio GTT

check your door n wing panels allign properly, make sure the door aint out to the wing as air will get in there n make a noise, check the gaps in the bonnet to the headlights

Clio 197

Seriously:

1)See that your 2.0 16v Badges arent sticking out.

2)Try the wipers

3)Check your plastic sump guard thing isnt hanging down

4)Check your cup splitter is on properly, and theres no gap between it and the bumper

5)Try folding your mirrors (totally legal), and see if it makes a difference

6)Remove the rocker cover - see if it makes a difference

7)Check the hoses connecting to the airbox are well placed, and not flapping about.

8)Check underneath the car for any stickers left on the exhaust or something smilar.

Basically, anything that sticks out, and gets a lot of wind...;) lol!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

by saying "am i the only one that thinks MaLicE is talking out of his @rse ?" thats a personal attack or insult to me... so yes you have broken the forum rules, if a mod or admin wishes to ban u thats up to them, but just this once i will let you off if you say that you think all these dirty speeders are wrong and out of order, and that it upsets you.

Im proud to say i drive over 70mph on the public roads and im proud of it...even followed a fully marked cop car along an A road at 80 before

Quote: Originally posted by kotafey on 04 February 2005

Before I write this thread, heres the disclaimer: All of the events mentioned below which refer to driving faster than 70mph took place on a private road closed to the general public, obviously.

I dont know what it is, but my 182 starts howling past 85 - 90 ish. It sounds like its coming from the light panel, and its definitely some bit of trim or something which is caught by the wind because if theres a gust itll do it as well.

I could deal with it if it was a little whistle or something, but this is PROPERLY loud and very very irritating. Its been back to renault to sort it out on warranty. They did what they could but obviously they cant test drive it above 70 (and dont have access to my secret private road hehehe), so its still there.

Anybody at all experienced anything similar to this?
anyone giving a lift to malice !!!:p

Trophy 263 + 265

"am i the only one that thinks MaLicE is talking out of his @rse ?"

that was a question mate.but justifed IMHO

i think everyone has already made their minds up which side they are on.

got to say this is the best laugh i have ever had on this board.

sorry mods and admin guys i wont do it again

p.s. i think all these dirty speeders are wrong and out of order, and that it upsets me.;)

2005 Nissan Navara

by saying "am i the only one that thinks MaLicE is talking out of his @rse ?" thats a personal attack or insult to me... so yes you have broken the forum rules, if a mod or admin wishes to ban u thats up to them, but just this once i will let you off if you say that you think all these dirty speeders are wrong and out of order, and that it upsets you.
f**k me mate, he asked about a problem with his car...not for opinions on his driving! so uve never broken the speed limit???

I have, as have probably 95% of forum users. it isnt being dangerous/stupid/etc/etc its just what happens. go on any motorway across the country and sit at 70mph...see how many cars pass you...more than likely itll be most of them.

now as for the car...as said check all panels/trim. what side is it coming from?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

i would like to say at this point, i am sorry for taking this topic over i really didnt mean it that way lol, more of a look at what extremes u can go to about how gay these forum rules are lol i dont care who does what lol, ive broken the speed limit and many laws in the past before lol, im sorry for getting every ones backs up lol.

i think they did try to get a few extra rules put in like a lie detector test oh and also a dr*g test also...

if your all looking for a more "fun and relaxed area" all feel welcome to come to http://twistywizard.com/forum/here for more fun and games like those that have happened in this post ;)

Trophy 263 + 265

thanks malice

its been fun

nice to see you have seen the funny side now

great

cheer mate:D

lets hope he finds the route of his problem.