ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

This light just came on...

1.4 16V Mk2 Ph2
Picked up my new car on thursday (mk2 ph2 1.4) and i have driven about 100 miles in it so far, but on the way back from football this morning this light came on...

IMG_0398.jpg

The manual says that its the toxic fume indicator and its releasing to much pollution into the air, what could be causing this?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Its the engine management light, to find out whats popped it on get your car put on a diagnostic tool or code reader.

Mine used to come on all the time due to it needing a lambda probe. Bought a new one and fitted it and its not been on since.

1.2 16v clio
I had that come on in my 1.2 it was something to do with my lamder sensor the garage i took it too clean up the contacts and it has never come on again. They did conect it to a diagnostic tool and it kicked out a code for them to take a look at the sensor =:)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Probably needs a new sensor- will need to get it on the diagnostics-

If you bought the car from a garage take it back- I bet they just reset that light with the crappy code reader

S

1.4 16V Mk2 Ph2
Cheers guys. It was a private sale so i'll take it down to the garage in the week because the tracking needs doing as well so i'll get them done at the same time.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
That usually for emissions, eg if its been de-catted it can come on

clio 172 exclusive c
mines has came on but its flashing , car running very lumpy and under powered . put a post on but no 1 has answered . car is a 172 cup exclusiv 2003. help

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
mines has came on but its flashing , car running very lumpy and under powered . put a post on but no 1 has answered . car is a 172 cup exclusiv 2003. help

flashing usually means its miss firing and sending unburned fuel down your exhaust damaging your cat, my first port of call would be plugs, leads and coil pack

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many

I would change the Spark plugs and The coil pack but i would use genuine parts and the correct plugs as cheap plugs can cause problems

clio 172 exclusive c
plugged into the compter today , cyclinder misfire . colipack most likely also exhaust snapped in the middle section and rear wheel bearing away ( common probs im reading )

BlackGold 182
Mines been on a week now, been wondering why I think it's cos mine is decatted, well I'm hoping so anyways, will be fitting the cat back Friday I think.

Will the light just go or has it gotta be cleared with a code reader?

Golf GTD
Out of interest, if the sensor is a dodgy is there any harm in driving around with this light on?

I ask because my Authentique has this light on and the garage said it's the sensor. Can't be arsed paying for a new sensor unless it's going to cause damage.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
If the sensor is dodgy i would say it means there is a problem or its causing a problem, I know a O2 sensor (Lambda Probe) is about £80 as thats what i ended up changing on mine after changing everything else.

BlackGold 182
Marc. Was yours decatted or was you still running the cat? I don't WANs replace it and it to go again cos the decat

Mines been on a week now, been wondering why I think it's cos mine is decatted, well I'm hoping so anyways, will be fitting the cat back Friday I think.

Will the light just go or has it gotta be cleared with a code reader?

If the problem is fixed the light will usually go off within about a week (it did when I had misfire and changed the coils)

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Marc. Was yours decatted or was you still running the cat? I don't WANs replace it and it to go again cos the decat

Mine was still running a standard CAT on the car.

I changed the coil pack,HT leads, The Spark Plugs and then the lambda probe (O2 Sensor) that was before the CAT as it was always showing a fault.

My mate had a 172 with a decat on it and his light wa son, It was plugged into the clip and it came up with a lambda probe (O2 Sensor) fault and we cleared the code and for some reason it stayed off for weeks.

BlackGold 182
Hmmm well I'm just thinking of taking off the decat, put the cat back on and see what happens? Does it affect the car in anyway with having the light on? And if the sensor is broken?

Evo 8 MR
If you have the light on the dash because of a decat it's nothing to worry about. If your mpg is less than normal then it could be the pre cat sensor that is faulty in which case you will want to replace it.

BlackGold 182
Ahh right yeaa the mpg seems the same so mine is obviously just because the decat, was just strange mine never came on for the first 800 miles Of having the decat