ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thoughts on the Pug 106 GTi

clio williams, Ph1 172

If I were you mate id get a 16V. I thought about a 106 gti but I think the 16v is loads more manful. 106s look a bit girly and are pretty small and tinny. Get about £5000 and get a mint last of the line N plate 16v. Theres bound to be some about that are low mileage. Ok so they are not great on fuel but a 106gti wont be fantastic will it? I mean its a 1.6 16v twin cam. Also if you are plannin to mod it anyway itll be more thirsty. Stick with a clio mate, nothin else will do ;)

Like I say, 106 GTi is a contemporary Valver in most aspects apart from image and looks. But the real thing is a 16v. Get one mate! And only using it at the weekends will hardly harm it either!!

Honda Civic Type R GT

Had a blaze yellow 1998 106 GTI from new for 3 and a half years! Superb car. In my opinion it corners better than the 172 but doesnt have the same raw grunt. Seriously thought of getting another!

Regards,

Tommy.

I may be thinking about a Williams now instead too, not sure yet as that will be a 2.0 too which is kind of what is killing me in terms of petrol, sounds a bit of a cop out I know but I am trying to be a little sensible.

Seen a Williams I really like which I could afford so if I can sell my 172 then I may go for that.

GP, I saw that on Top Gear, that is crazy that is ! I do around 800-1000 miles a month, around £100 worth mostly.

Bloody ell.

Im offline for a few days.........and........

...both you and Chavy wre selling your 172s......

Oh my god. :eek: Whats the world coming to?

Tell me about des ! I dunno what is going on ! I may have found a buyer for mine already ! My ex-girlfriend wants it and she test drove it last night, she is thinking about it now so it may go thru soon ! I will be gutted to see it go tho and I am finding it hard to even contemplate what it is going to be like to see her driven away ! Dunno if I can do it !

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Daipac Ive had mine for a year now but when I first got it I felt exactly the same as you! I had come from a Saxo which was really cheap to run so a 172 was a bit of a shock to the system, I though about seeling it then I just got more and more used to it! Christ I never had my eyes of the fuel gauge initially!!!!!! I do about the same amout of miles as you a month and it doesnt bother me that much anymore

Dont do anything rash!!!? Give a bit more time and see how you feel!!!!!

GP, I am starting to think that way I have to admit. I washed it last night and I thought to myself "it is f**king freezing out here and I am washing the car !", what does that tell you about the way I feel about the car. If she does not want it then I think I will hold fire for a while and see how it goes because I love the car ! I will get used to it I know and I am not using it ALL the time like I was when I first had, seem to drive it when I need to at the moment instead of just driving, see what offers I get and go from there !

Thanks for the advice tho mate !

Honda Civic Type R GT

Personally I dont think youll notice that much difference at the pump swapping you 172 for a pug. I cover around the same distance per month and aint noticed it.

Tommy - I would have thought the same. The 172 is very good on the old mpgs. Plus (Im guessing at 5K its gonna be 3+ years old) the pug will have to be MOTd and any broken bits paid for in hard cash rather than being nicely covered on a 3 year warranty that you currently have.

Argh ! Guys, what are you doing !?!?! LOL ! Right, when is the next York meet ?!?! I wanna do things to make me keep this car !

Just take it for a drive mate.

Actually, Ive organised a Cliosport meet on Saturday in Cardiff. Come to that!

I remember after my last big bill on my 16v I should have been economising. But instead I thought: "fog it - I want to get some value for money out of this car!!".

So I drove it from Edinburgh down to Southend for the first big summer Cliosport meet! 1000 miles round trip!!:eek:

I got almsot no sleep, spent £100 on petrol and it rained like hell on the way back. But Ill never regret it. In fact, it was one of the best drives of my life...I took detours on all the A/B roads in scenic places like Shap...5am, cold air, no traffic - wow!! Best drive ever!!

Ben, playing football on Saturday so cant make it and I wish I could take it for a drive but I am in work ! LOL !

I was like that when I drove to York Raceway this month, went to see my cousin in Chester first, drove up thru the Brecons, what a drive that was ! Awesome roads and amazing scenery ! 100mph roads all the way up with some really nice hairpins to take, stunning !

How the hell can I get rid of my car now ! Especially with this Brands Hatch thing coming up too !

I dunno mate, I am going to wait on what she says ! If she wants it then I will think about it then ! May keep it till Xmas and re-evaluate !

Honda Civic Type R GT

Daipac, I swapped my Pug at the age youre looking at buying because things started to go wrong (Accelerator cable, some fuel sensor thing, etc). Also like somebody said earlier, youll have to MOT it, etc. Might be false economy buying other peoples problems. Especially when youve the warranty with your 172.

Regards,

Tommy.

clio 20v

there really nice cars theres nuthin in it between my mates and my valver

only problems hes had are leaking sunroof (not small leak neither) and the alarm doing funny things and a few starting problems

and the pedals are rediculously close togetha

and looking at the 2 cars his is in worse condition than mine having done half the milage and i know he looks after it

i wouldnt swap a 172 for one

adi