ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle/Accelerator problem

My mate is having a problem with his Clio.
He's having problems with the throttle. He'll be driving along and then all of a sudden the accelerator pedal will stop working, and the car will just sit idling at 500 revs without touching the pedal, and he'll get no response from pushing the pedal, and this sqiggly light comes on the dash (I can't remember what this one means?!):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTfN__cfeJttS-3bHN5gNC6L1zkYwUQgD5tBmUHbxomKr71B_v.jpg

If he turns on and off the problem is still there, so he has to wait a while before trying again.
Its a Mk2 Ph2 1.2 8v. Would I be right in thinking its possibly the throttle body needs cleaning (I'm no expert!?)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Fly-By-Wire not cable throttle I assume ?

If so, replace it with a known working one... see if that solves the problem. The actuator/solonoid/electrical gubbins are probably borked.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Assuming its the same as a 172, its got one multiwire plug on it and 3 10mm bolts, takes about 2 mins tops

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
order of likelyhood

Throttle body needs cleaning/replacing
Coilpack fault.

(eleventy billion other things)

throttle pedal.

Plug it in, the light is on for a reason, it will tell you a fault code. Guessing will do you as much good as scratching you bum hole and sniffing it

lool. Okay, cheers!
I can plug in my RStuner to read the code, but the chance of me understanding what the code is actually telling me are quite low tbh lol!
How easy is it to clean the throttle body on mk2 ph2 1.2 8v's?

Right.

Today whipped the throttle body off, cleaned it with carb cleaner, was nice and shiny.
Felt smoother to drive then about ten mins up the road did it again. Now found out it does still drive, but won't go above like 30mph.

Tried pluggin in my RStuner, thinking you didn't need a license to just read fault codes, but wouldn't let me connect, just kept saying VIN unrecognised.

Next most likely coilpack I guess.
Is the coilpacks on the 1.2 8v with the leads aswell or are they separate pencil coils? I remember on my 1.2 16v they were one unit.