ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

throttle bodies...

audi a3 2.0tdi
Evening all!
just a couple of questions..

going to throttle body my 172 at some point, and i know alot of people use the ITB bodies (Sf) ones.Just got chance of some 91mm long, 45mm dcoe's and was wondering can i use these with the jenvey sf manifold and the adaptors they also sell to change from sf to dcoe??

will 90mm trumpets be ok with this considering the length with the adaptors, also will be ok to run this with a dta s40 ecu? will everything still work inside the car... e.g clocks etc... as my local friendly mapper prefers dta.

thanks for your help in advance. stu

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
like this you mean?

305308_10150854442625150_568860149_21349675_219907411_n.jpg

;)

It's been done a half dozen times or so, you need to do a bit of work to the adaptors but it works :)

audi a3 2.0tdi
thanks guys! just what i was after, and doesn't it look bloody lovely...
what lights will i have on the dash if i run the dta ecu. anyone heard of sandy brown on here??
he builds engine looms and maps alot of stuff,i think he prefers dta as far as im aware... very good mapper just in case anyone wants to know.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
hi mate im from launceston in cornwall.
sandy is very popular down here, have you heard of him?

Sandy's far more well known in Peugeot circles. No direct experience of his work, but he has a great rep and knowledge, and unlike some doesn't seem up himself when having a tech discussion.

I would however suggest that there's better option than a DTA ECU for a mk2 clio, it will run the engine fine, but there's other considerations, especially with new MOT regulations concerning warning lights

audi a3 2.0tdi
Hi mate, yeah sandy is very well known for peugeots. Before i got my clio i had a 106 rallye and sandy done all my engine and mapping, he is a very clever man! Thanks for your help and comments i'm all new to this renault malarky lol. Much appreciated :approve: I see what your saying about the ecu. The only reason i was going down this route was because the local motorsport rollng road i use has the dta equipment there. Lauceston is a very small place lol.
No real concerns about the MOT regulations as im a tester lol ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
thanks guys! just what i was after, and doesn't it look bloody lovely...
what lights will i have on the dash if i run the dta ecu. anyone heard of sandy brown on here??
he builds engine looms and maps alot of stuff,i think he prefers dta as far as im aware... very good mapper just in case anyone wants to know.

You're in good hands with Sandy Brown.
A friend of mine that owns a motorsport business down in plymouth uses him for the engine in his 106 cup rally car and its been bang on, likewise other engines he has built.

audi a3 2.0tdi
Thanks laine 16v, need as many pics as i can get.
Can someone explain to me how much work you have to do to the adaptors to accept the DCOE bodies and a pic of them?
Also got a silly question about the dephaser pulley.. going to do the belt kit and a/c delete kit myself and do the pulley as well, when i take the pulley off and put the new one on, can it go anywhere as its not keyed is it??
Thanks stu.:D

audi a3 2.0tdi
i lock the cams with the horseshoe, just didnt know if the dephaser could go on anywhere as never done one before, got the locking tools at work so all should be ok.
thanks again stu.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The dephaser has a locking pin in it to ensure it acts like a fixed pulley when you are timing up the engine mate, so its not possible for it to move to a different location.

Golf GTD Mk7
i lock the cams with the horseshoe, just didnt know if the dephaser could go on anywhere as never done one before, got the locking tools at work so all should be ok.
thanks again stu.

You locked your cams with the horse shoe alone? Not the actual cam locking tool :S I'll be amazed if your timing is fine.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ignore the following post

Why on earth would he want to ignore a completely accurate post about the fact that during assembly the dephaser pully internally locks so that he doesnt need to worry about the inside moving relative to the oustide?

He specifically said he had the "locking tools" rather than just the timing tools, so obviously he'll use those to hold the outside of the pulley in place with the correct tool, I was just clearing up that the dephaser doesnt move the cam around relative to the belt when the engine isnt running as the inside and the outside are locked together.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You locked your cams with the horse shoe alone? Not the actual cam locking tool :S I'll be amazed if your timing is fine.

Read what he wrote, its only the cams he said he was locking in place with the horseshoe, which is what its for, there is a seperate locking tool used at the other end of the engine to lock the pulleys themselves. He hasnt said if he was using that at the other end or not, so I've given him the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7
Horse shoe alone isn't enough to lock the cams. Even the Renault one is weak as! It's more a timing tool rather than a locking tool surely? Pulley tool is a must

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Horse shoe alone isn't enough to lock the cams iirc. Even the Renault one is weak as! It's more a timing tool rather than a locking tool surely? Pulley too is a must

Yes thats absolutely correct, you need to physically lock the pulley end, the horseshoe is only designed to time the cams in, not to look the pulleys when you tightening it all up.

He should have something like this in his locking tool set:

2010194161111.jpg

although personally I would always stick to the genuine renault tools.

Last edited:
  audi a3 2.0tdi
oh s**t, i was meant to say ive got the timing tools! which is the horseshoe and crank pin but need to buy the locking tool for the pulleys. sorry guys.
Thanks chip mk1 for the pic, so when i put the new dephaser on and finger tighten the exhaust nut and dephaser bolt i then fit the pulley locking tool to torque up the nut and bolt as he horseshoe has the cams timed..am i correct here???
sorry for causing confusion. Thanks stu.

Golf GTD Mk7
You normally need it to remove the old dephaser as well, unless you can get an impact gun on there. Nuts are tight

audi a3 2.0tdi
Ok will do thanks! do you know where i could get the pulley locking tool cheaply as i cant afford the genuine renault one lol.
Thanks stu.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ok will do thanks! do you know where i could get the pulley locking tool cheaply as i cant afford the genuine renault one lol.
Thanks stu.

Cant help with that I'm afraid mate, I dont know of a cheap supplier for the renault tools, you're looking at about 300 quid really unless you are lucky enough to find one secondhand (unlikely at short notice), and although there are aftermarket setups I havent used any myself and wouldnt want to recommend one without knowing firsthand if it works or not.
Might be worth starting a new thread with a title specifically about that so you get more people's attention on it, as I know there are a couple of people on here who claim to have got on ok with cheaper tools so maybe they can advise.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Cant help with that I'm afraid mate, I dont know of a cheap supplier for the renault tools, you're looking at about 300 quid really unless you are lucky enough to find one secondhand (unlikely at short notice), and although there are aftermarket setups I havent used any myself and wouldnt want to recommend one without knowing firsthand if it works or not.
Might be worth starting a new thread with a title specifically about that so you get more people's attention on it, as I know there are a couple of people on here who claim to have got on ok with cheaper tools so maybe they can advise.

£300 for the renault tools? Honestly, stop posting if you have no idea, the pulley tool is just over £60

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
£300 for the renault tools? Honestly, stop posting if you have no idea, the pulley tool is just over £60

Last time I checked thats how much the complete setup was, if you have a link for just the pulley tool at 60 quid though post it up to help this guy out rather than just trying to score internet points or whatever it is you are doing at the moment, lol

audi a3 2.0tdi
i had a quick search about on google and found the tool, but the site showed me 2 of the same tool.
1st tool was the same as pic above and the other looked very identical but was black instead, but both said suitable for 2.0 16v f4r engines.
also first tool as above was more expensive at nearly £70, this sound about right, just didnt want to buy the wrong one.
thanks to everyone for help.

Golf GTD Mk7
ring renault mate. Genuine one is 7711381801 from what I can find. Danny will confirm. you've got the crank locking pin?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
ring renault mate. Genuine one is 7711381801 from what I can find. Danny will confirm. you've got the crank locking pin?

that is the main body of the tool (£49.42) You also need the alternative sprocket and spacer kit (£19.87)

Can order all of this for you

audi a3 2.0tdi
Is that the prices for the pulley locking tool shown at the top of this page?
Also what is the alternative sprocket and spacer kit? Is it the little wheels that actually come in contact with the cam pulleys? Are those prices plus vat?
Thanks

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
those are the inclusive prices, and yes the extra part is what locks into the pulley teeth. you need that for any F4R with VVT