ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle Bodies

TheCAB

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup 172
Looking to move up sprint class next year from SB to 1b, where you can fit throttle bodies. You are not allowed to modify the slam panel I am advised in fitting them. As they are an expensive piece of kit my question is what throttle bodies will fit without having to modify any under bonnet bodywork.

I have looked back through some previous posts and can see that the trumpet length seems to be the issue in fouling the slam panel, any advice gratefully received.

Cheers.

RS Clio 172 Cup
I sprint in 1b (without throttle bodies) so will be interested to see the reply to this ;)

It's a grey area, I can't see a problem modifying the panel as long as you have it in place, I've spoken to a few of the lads I compete against and they can't see a problem, depends how quick you are and the type of scrutineer;) I can't understand how you can cut holes and fit air scoops on a bonnet but can't cut a slam panel back, I've bought a spare slam panel for mine and bonnet with aero catches and will be having a look this winter, you'll need a small radiator as well, don't bother with the ITB packages that run with short inlets/trumpets and standard rad, you'll lose tourque, have fun.

Regards Russ........

RS Clio 172 Cup
Haha you doing it then Russ?... I remember you talking about it. Good luck if you get a certain scritineer with shorts and a pony tail lol. ;)

TheCAB

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup 172
In my research into this it is apparently not the scrutineers who pick it up in the first place, as they are not encyclopaedic on all makes and variants of cars - they are generally looking at the "race safety" of the vehicle in the first instance , it is fellow competitiors who lodge complaints to race stewards. The scrutineer will then put the mods under a microscope, after consulting the Blue Book, past rulings appear to be that unless it clearly states in the Blue Book that you can - then you can't, it is not about interpretation.
Class 1b winners when asked this have said it's a no no, so undoubtably would be the first to contest any such "mods". The thought also being that if you come last no-one is going to bother with you, however, if you are in contention then you need to be squeaky clean. The move up from SB to 1b is costly if you want to be a runner so I am not looking to fall easily foul of the rules.

In my research into this it is apparently not the scrutineers who pick it up in the first place, as they are not encyclopaedic on all makes and variants of cars - they are generally looking at the "race safety" of the vehicle in the first instance , it is fellow competitiors who lodge complaints to race stewards. The scrutineer will then put the mods under a microscope, after consulting the Blue Book, past rulings appear to be that unless it clearly states in the Blue Book that you can - then you can't, it is not about interpretation.
Class 1b winners when asked this have said it's a no no, so undoubtably would be the first to contest any such "mods". The thought also being that if you come last no-one is going to bother with you, however, if you are in contention then you need to be squeaky clean. The move up from SB to 1b is costly if you want to be a runner so I am not looking to fall easily foul of the rules.

I agree, my own car has always been legal as I've always run in SB / 1B, I've been sprint hill climbing since mid 90's and seen all the evolutions of 1B from people with race cars with a bit of trim fitted to quick people in standard cars, I won't be cutting mine but looking at another way round it, I could pick nearly every car in 1B and probably find a fault with it, it doesn't interest me I leave that to who built the car if they need to win a club event that badly, the people I've asked are the front runners in the Midlands Championship and they don't see a problem as I said.
Hello Karl I hope the cars running well, I don't know yet I'm putting things in place 1st it'll be the last thing to fit the along with a proper engine some time, just need to find the money.

Regards Russ.....