ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ticking prob

Fabia VRS
Hi just recently ive noticed a strange ticking/knocking noise. can only seem to hear it inside and can't locate it in the engine bay. you can only hear it when stood still. it will be there untill you blip the throtal then it seems to go. sounds a bit like a tappet. is it something to be worried about? Ive got a service coming up in april would they pick something like that up?
O yeah its a 54 plate 182
Cheers

Could be noisy tappets..all clios tap a bit, have you got the sound deadening stuff under your bonnet? also some slick 50 will quieten it down a tad.
Also could be the carbon cannister..does the noise come from behind the driver side headlight? if so you could try replacing it..costs about £45 from eurocarparts and takes about 10 mins to change (can tell you how to do this if need be)
My carbon cannister ticked and I replaced it but it didnt fix it for me...when I changed the lamba sensor before the cat, the noise went away.

Fabia VRS
Im pretty sure its a tappet or something like that because it taps at the same pace as engine and it sounds more like its towards the dahsboard end.

Qashcow
i thourght it was the tappets when i had a similar problem a while ago. me and burp took it out for a spin and he suspected the carbon canister.

we cut the cable burpspeed stylee (with a house key :)) and the noise has gone. also made the car run a hell of alot smoother. i wont be fixing or replacing mine, just ripping it all out when ive some spare time

Qashcow
when it was in my car and i had my head in the engine bay, it actually sounded like it was coming from the back of the engine towards the exhaust valves etc.

I'll find an engine pic and show you which cable to cut which should eliminate it so you know its definatly the CC

Fabia VRS
Ok cool. just been out in it and didn't hear a thing. but if you could get a pic up its worth a look cheers. im guessing though that its just engine noise and im just being paranoid. lol:)

Qashcow
mine only did it when warmed up if i remember correctly

try pulling out the plug at the top of the CC on the drivers side, just in front of the wheel. if you look down from about you can see it. we cudnt pull it out so just cut the cable lol

i havent quite landed on the right cable, either way, its the cable inside the corrigated plastic tube and only has 2 wires inside

DSC00431-1.jpg

Qashcow
tick tick tick tick lol. if i took a vid you wouldnt of heard much tbh. it was worst at about 2000rpm but could hear it at lower revs too. rip it all out anyway, then you know its not that :p

Jap Shed
mine only did it when warmed up if i remember correctly

try pulling out the plug at the top of the CC on the drivers side, just in front of the wheel. if you look down from about you can see it. we cudnt pull it out so just cut the cable lol

i havent quite landed on the right cable, either way, its the cable inside the corrigated plastic tube and only has 2 wires inside

DSC00431-1.jpg

corrigated one in the pic? im confused?

Qashcow
its actually the wire in the corrigated tubing underneith 'cable'

i'll go take a proper photo, back in 5 xxx

Qashcow
removes vapours from the petrol tank, i cant say much more than that as i dont really know. worth a search

Fabia VRS
Yeah it does go at the time of the engine, if you touch the throtal it speeds up with the engine. I heard it yesterday but every time i get out to look under the bonnet it goes. with the bonnet up everything sound fine. lol. :)

lift number 1 @ btm
it could just be the injectors firing, they do tick.

try listening close to the fuel rail guard and see if it is coming from underneath there.

Fabia VRS
Thee is a simlar tick around that area but it is an engine. lol. does sound the same though just not as loud. Its in for a service in april some will get them to give it a once over now i have an idea. cheers everyone for he help:D

Qashcow
cut the cable mate, if it doesnt help then reconnect it (you might be able to reach and unplug it in a cup)

Fabia VRS
Hey managed to catch the sound with the bonnet up. It is coming from behind the drivers side light so after searching i think it might be the carbon canister. Im going to get it in the garage the weekend so i will unplug it then but i dont fancy leaving it like that. Ive read that its the solunoid on the canister so can this be bought and replaced? cheers:)

Qashcow
mines been left unplugged for 2 months now, just undo it and see if it goes away, not going to harm anything

Clio 172
I had a similar problem with a strange rattling coming from around the engine.I took the plastic engine cover off and the noise went.

Dont pay for someone else to change it...took me 10 mins and Im a girl.
If you want to know how to do it yourself pm me and I will go through it with you.

Fabia VRS
Today 12:32adamg30Re: Ticking prob
I had a similar problem with a strange rattling coming from around the engine.I took the plastic engine cover off and the noise went.
As its the cup it doesn't have one, save wieght or something lol. :)

I dont have a prob with fitting one thats easy. i just dont fancy unplugging something and leaving it unplugged. just wondered if you can just buy the solunoid seperate, or does it not come with the canister and cant be replaced?:)

the carbon canister ticks out of the factory, its just not in use all the time the engine employs it when it is required to deal with over fueling I believe.

Therefore the ticking problem is not actually a problem and tbh it was put there for a reason so I would be inclined to leave it!

Qashcow
but after 'X' amount of miles, that ticking gets worse as things wear down. mine was very noticable when driving, it had got alot worse over time. if its not in the car, its one less thing to go wrong again lol. but then my car is for fun, not commuting so im happy to pull stuff off

172 ph2
Hey guys, had the same prob with mine, was ticking and thought it was dephaser pulley had it replaced when had cambelt done, still ticked until i read this and cut the cable it solved the problem but the toxic gas warning light came on as a result!!!

Fabia VRS
I would connect it back up if you can! Does anyone No if the soluniond that makes the noise is connected to the carbon canister or wether it seperate?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Mine does it as well Beas - and mine is a '54 plater too.

I'm not worrying about it if its the carbon cannister. Just turn the i-Pod up a little louder. ;)

D.