ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ticlking/Rattle Noise from engine drivers side

BG182FF
hey peeps, problem occurred yesterday.

Sounds like a ticking/rattling from drivers side. Maybe the engine or anythin near the drivers side. It happens on idle and seems to get louder when putting throttle on. Anyone know of any suggestions to first check please. Its a 55plate 182. cambelt and dephaser pulley done 7000 miles ago. Thanks for any help! :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
A ticking French car!!! LoL

Does it dissapear when revved a bit harder Adam? Oil level okay? How oftern is it driven?

Mick

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
f**k me that's knocking its tits off.

Sounds like the rod bearings are about to let go in a big way, but I've no idea... Has it been run low on oil at all?

Would suggest not running / revving until someone who knows what they are doing has a look.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
f**k me Adam, I concur with the above mate. I know I did the belts and head replacement for you but that's terminal im afraid chap and sounds like the bottom end.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Well, the bottom end is at least. The car itself is a clean enough example and I had to lap 16 valves on the fekker.

Replacement B/E Adam

BG182FF
haha yeah everything was great until this happens. might not help that i drive like an old man and it doesnt really get driven as much either.

It was hardly as bad as the video was that morning. It now sounds worse than a tractor and a lot louder

anyways, ive pmd u Mick :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Its not a simple repair Adam, its a pretty huge job which will most likely require the replacement of the crankshaft (I don't like regrinds).

The cheapest method woukd be to replace the entire engine then the next option would be to replace just the bottom end with second hand assemblies. This is going to cost you at least £700-1200 unless you DIY it.

BG182FF
OUch tell me about it :) thanks for your help, will have a think and go from there. Mick, you still travel to homes :)

Ph1 172, E36 328
Mine sounded like that. Like a Massey Ferguson. Thought it might have been the dephaser but when we took the cam cover off it turn out the Cambelt tensioner had broken in half (its plastic) put new Cambelt, dephaser on and is now fine. Was lucky it didn't jump a tooth or 2. Oh course I could be totally wrong in your case?!?

BG182FF
ideally need someone who knows about my car to have a look really :( but no one around this area know anything about renault sport engines :(

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Adam,

If you like I could take the drive over to see you (and the car) on Monday 25th? I don't do mobile anymore but I'll do it seeing as its my baby and bring some very basic tools so I can check the belt tension and a few other bits but I'll have to charge you for it.

PM me if interested

Mick

BG182FF
mick that sounds great mate, can you pm a price as been looking at car transportation but they are rip offs lol. since its got louder, i dont drive it anymore, but it still drove and had power before. still starts fine too :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'll pm you in a minute chap.

Im confident that its bottom end and not timing nor top end at fault but it won't take long to confirm belt tension.

Mick