ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tilting rear wheel.

Renault Clio 2.0 16v
Hey guys, I've had my monaco 172 for around six weeks now. Loving it.

However, my rear passenger side wheel is leaning/tilting slightly inward. It looks a bit awkward from some angles and I'm wondering what it is. Any ideas?

I believe maybe that left side axel might be bent out of position.

What sort of money am I look at to fix this?

Performance wise the car still drives fine etc so I''m not too worried. I just wanna get it close to perfect condition.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
worth getting it checked as it will play on your mind and look wose that in it is!

unfortunatley, the rear being isnt adjustable at all, (other than loosening it and moving it, but that doesnt change camber or idividual toe)
so the only thing it can be if it is out, is that someone has clouted a curb at some point!

there are quite a few cliosport breakers on here, youll have to buy an entire new rear beam!
cant imagine it will be more than £150 if you do the work yourself!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
As said could be the stub axle, or it could be a bearing but ud notice that when driving..

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
thats a good point!

grab it and give wobble it, i mean really give it hell!
if theres any movement, then it may just be a wheel bearing thats died,

same kind of price to replace though, since the bearings are pressed into the discs!!
but at least you get new dics out of it!!

Renault Clio 2.0 16v
I shall do. It can't be the wheel bearing. I had both rear one's replaced around a month ago and new discs! It must be a mount or axel I'm not sure. I did give it a generous wobble earlier and it kinda "creaked" but only once and not very loud.

I'm gunna take it to kwik fit this saturday and see what they say/diagnose. Since they fitted the new bearings, tyres and brake discs on the rear recently.

As said here I think it might be the stub axel. We'll see
Thanks for the replies guys!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I shall do. It can't be the wheel bearing. I had both rear one's replaced around a month ago and new discs! It must be a mount or axel I'm not sure. I did give it a generous wobble earlier and it kinda "creaked" but only once and not very loud.

I'm gunna take it to kwik fit this saturday and see what they say/diagnose. Since they fitted the new bearings, tyres and brake discs on the rear recently.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Stop right there.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
the bearing could have failed due to it not being made properly, it happens from time to time,

also, a worn mount couldnt cause the camber to change, its a solid rear beam hinged at the front of the car, so in theory, the camber is solid and cannot move.

as for kwik fit, well thats a whole different kettle.

Renault Clio 2.0 16v
haha. I won't have them performing the work on it..no where near. They are just useful for free insight really, they won't charge me to look at it and also I can get underneath and see what's going on. Then I'll take it to my mechanic and see what the deal is and possibly then to Renault.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
As said could be the stub axle, or it could be a bearing but ud notice that when driving..

Not everyone would....one rear bearing went on my 172 and I my wife didn't notice that it had a wobble....To be fair, there was only a faint droning noise for some reason, maybe she just had her foot so planted when driving, the exhaust took over the noise.

lift number 1 @ btm
What's the tyre wear like, as in is it even. If it's not then there's almost definately something wrong.
If the tyre wear is even and the car drives straight then it's most likely ok, but I'd still have the geometry checked for peace of mind.

Renault Clio 2.0 16v
There is no humming noise anymore...there was before I had the wheel bearings replaced but not since which is good.

Should I take it to Renault or my mechanic to get it solved?

My friend Dan who owns the same car said a mechanic as Renault will charge me for even glancing at the car?

Thoughts?

And I don't think it wobbles when it's off the ground...no.

Westy. MX5
It sounds like the rear beam, spring or stub axle is bent. More than likely a previous owner side swiped it into a kerb.

Renault Clio 2.0 16v
It sounds like the rear beam, spring or stub axle is bent. More than likely a previous owner side swiped it into a kerb.

Sounds about right mate. Everything else about the car is bang on *touch wood*. Engine is great..sounds fantastic when I get it up above 4000rpm etc.

Suggestions for getting the repair sorted? Renault or reliable mechanic?

I reckon it'll cost no more than £300 to sort...thoughts?

Westy. MX5
It's not technically difficult to change the rear beam, any mechanic can do it. The problem is how many parts will you have to change to straighten it. Unless you you can seen a bent part under the car it's trial and error, If the springs are not OE or damaged then I would change them 1st. as it's only a 20min. job.

182 Cup
First thing to do is get it diagnosed properly. Take it somewhere with laser alignment equipment (find one here) - http://alignmycar.co.uk/ (cost me £35 at my local place)

After you know what's wrong you can take steps to fix it. I've got a similar issue after kissing a curb and I'm using camber shims on the affected side to sort it out.

Renault Clio 2.0 16v
Just had the "spare" out the boot and it is has been kerbed hugely. About 6/7 inches I reckon. It's a rear wheel obviously too...the original the car had when registered.

I'm going to take it to a mechanic next week sometime and see what they say.

Budgie..how much for the pair? where are you based? and why if you don't mind me asking are you selling them?

Westy. MX5
The spare wheel is probably buckled as well. If it was my car I'd be taking the rear beam off and renewing the whole lot, Cliospares would be helpful for you as new stuff will cost ££££££££'s.

Monaco Ph2 Clio 172
Hey man, we'll have a look under the car and see if anything looks bent/out of place. Check out what could be the problem before you go spending hard earned cash! :)