ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

times around oulton, what spec?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Was curious really. The only time I got told was a few years back in a phase 1 I had. Spec wise

Parada spec 2 tyres
Think I had ds2500 pads
Fk coilovers
Ik, probably a ktec
Back seats down, obviously

I was doing 2.15 into a strong head wind that followed me round. Think I hit a bit of traffic but nothing major. I know it's not a race, I'm curious

From memory I was around the 2:20 mark. Full interior, marginal T1-R rears, fronts were fine and tired suspension. Have a video in my progress thread with a 2:26 in traffic.

Has K-Tec style induction kit
Custom cat back
4 pot Brembos
And it seems a relatively strong engine.

Hopefully in March when it's stripped and has new tyres it'll perform better. Also gone with freshly rebuilt Gaz coilovers and new top mounts.

You returning to Oulton soon?

Mines gone dedicated track car after a small engine bay fire and it'll need a few bits before it'll run again. Would be nice to get it in the teens on 31st March. Sadly can't afford to have it ready any earlier.

What spec you running this time round?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Current spec

B14's
Fatty induction kit
Fully stripped, barely much in there bar the roll cage and dash.
Running re050's in the morning on 16's, marangoni semi slicks after lunch on 15's.
Gearbox mount
Ktec engine mounts
Ktec stealth exhaust
Brembo he discs with £15 paid pads

Seems to go well, probably the quickest out the four clios I've owned

I've not bothered yet but no reason to not give it a bash while I prep it as its not a road car in any capacity now. Found the 197 Brembo's took a hammering pretty well.

You find any problems routing it or have any advice?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
2:03-2:04 in a stripped out cup. Was my first and only time there as well so far. Spec wise it's got Ast's, cage, roll centre hubs, brembo hc and ds2500, no lsd and no fancy pants engine. It's just standard cams dialled in to Grp n timing, Grp n ecu, decat, btb and v6 airbox.

How does the group n timing and ecu affect the performance?

Rpm, power band, drivability etc etc

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
How does the group n timing and ecu affect the performance?

Rpm, power band, drivability etc etc
Difficult to say tbh mate. I don't personally think it gives much more than 170hp, it certainly doesn't feel like it anyway.
It does give torque improvement throughout the midrange though, so it's got a bit more go about it pulling out of the bends.

The ecu ups the rev limit to 8k (there or thereabouts) but it's very rare you need to push it that far. It's more to allow you to hold on to the current gear longer if your approaching a bend really.
Powerband and drive ability are hardly noticeable as different, although where I used to get 47mpg on the motorway cruising I now only get around 44mpg. It also ticks over like a bag of spanners! The ecu has a raised idle speed to accommodate this though.

There's a tool for doing a similar thing to the 197. Just got to make it. Lol

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
Going back to around 2003/4 I seem to remember the Clio Cup race cars at Oulton,only a public track day so I'm not sure if they were going full chat but times were 1.59 if memory served,not sure how that compares to a race day as the track day was held on the full circuit.

I did a 2:02.1 at the last race last year, was my first time there as well.

Car has totally standard engine, but does have gripper diff and FD and AST'S.

Track 172 Cup
Managed 2:33 but only timing we had is the video from the go pro so not totally accurate (bloody 26gb of video lol think he left it in 4k or something haha, first track day and first time at Oulton Park) my dad in the passenger seat on brand new Michelin PS3 (had to peel the stickers off the tyres when we got there and scrub them in lol) and it was pretty busy think there were about 70 cars on the day not sure how many out on track at the same time. Gonna try and compare them when we go back again on the 3rd.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
First time there and did 2.10 in November 2013. Clio cup with 173k miles tired engine 131.3bhp @wheels, koni dampers, eibach springs, yellowstuff pads, standard interior except bucket seats, harnesses, different steering wheel. Kumho tyres.
Struggled with glazed brake pads and lack of power.
Would like to go back before I strip it and reshell it as it's now got a gripper diff and lower cwp, rarb, TD 1.2 wheels, and bigger brakes. Will see how money goes.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Its all about the driver imo, well the car too but mostly the former. Ive got b14's, decent brakes, engine seems fine etc.

Did a trackday last saturday and rob aka @bob the builder had the same tyres Marangoni semi slicks, roll cage, decent brakes etc. He was quicker than me, although i put that down to me only ever taken the car there ;)

Clio 172 Cup
120bhp Mazda MX-5 Eunos
Hankook evo v12
Gaz Gold Pro coilovers
Mintex M1144 pads

I managed to get round the first corner and then to smash into another car in the first race.
First time out properly, damp track, bent car, whilst battling with 2 other cars - 2:12

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
just looking at some of my vids. 182 apex springs ,standard everything else(decent pads) and some geo adjustments.
with slicks around 2.08 best time in summer
with maragoni semi slicks in the cold 2.11 but have fitted a cage . i think i did a bit better in the late afternoon with the rc8 pads in but didnt video it.maybe about 2.09

Nippy white cup
Not timed for a while but going off an old vid I was getting around 2.10 with a big passenger lol.
Tyres can make all the difference(obviously lol) as there are a few long sections that if you carry a lot of speed around the bend before you can gain a lot of time.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
On my last video I did a 2.25 on a cold wet track with a passenger and traffic. I haven't got any other referance. It would be nice to know what it can do on a dry track with no passenger or traffic.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
On my last video I did a 2.25 on a cold wet track with a passenger and traffic. I haven't got any other referance. It would be nice to know what it can do on a dry track with no passenger or traffic.
I'd imagine your laptimes will be near to mine, if not faster tbh tom. You've got a diff and extra hp as well compared to mine currently.

Track 172 Cup
fastest we managed on the 2nd outing at Oulton yesterday was 2:11 no passenger and half a tank and very little traffic on track and nice n dry. might get some tuition next time though.

Track 172 Cup
I seem to struggle most with Druids for some reason just can't bring myself to go too quick through there lol or get a decent line, well same for most of the track on the lines lol but speed wise Druids is the one I seem to loose the most speed on and probably Shell Oil. Think a little tuition will help me out a lot.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
You mean she'll corner? Druids is where I have come off in the rain lol. Have a look a tony hunters videos