ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing Belt/Checking Timing on 182.

Clio 182 Cup
Hi,

A few weeks ago my 182 broke down under normal use on a motorway. At the time I suspected it to be the cam belt so I ensured it wasn't turned over etc. I had it recovered home and have only just got round to having a look. I am sure this question has been asked many times but I am at the point where I need to make some decisions.

I have the cam belt cover off and luckily the belt hadn't snapped. One of the idler pulleys had sheared the plastic off so the belt had become loosened. My concern is that the belt may have slipped some teeth, potentially damaging the valves/head etc and knocking the timing out.

I have done cam belt changes on other cars before so would say I'm relatively competent but I can't seem to find any timing marks on the two cam pulleys or the block to align the timing when the crank is at TDC. (I have fitted a replacement idle pulley.)

From reading around the forum I can see that if you remove the pulleys you can use the renault horseshoe tool to align the timing but is there a way of doing this without that tool? I just want to check if there is any damage to the valves or head before I decide how to proceed (given the cars value!). If I have to buy the tool then so be it but i have always used timing marks on all my ca belt changes I have done previously.

Thanks in advance!

You can remove the whole lot without the tools. You use an 8mm drift/drill bit to lock the crank in position.
But to time it all back up you need to have the tools or some other way to hold the cam pulleys and cams still while you tighten them up.
There is a guide on here and a Renault pdf available for free on the internet on how to do it if you do a search for a manual.
There is a tdc mark on the flywheel that you can see through a little window in the bell housing just to the right of the dip stick.

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
Well if u recon its fooked ( nothing to loose ) I would time it all back up with a new idler ( If its out ) Then start her back up again.

Many.
If it broke down, the valves will have bent already, so you're not gaining anything by not turning it over.

Clio 182 Cup
Thanks for the replies. I agree that the valves have probably had it so think it might be time to bite the bullet and buy the horseshoe tool. I'll time it all back up and find out and then if it is as I suspect then off with it's head!

Clio 182 Cup
Well I thought I would post an update. Thanks for everyone's advice. I got the head off today and sure enough the valves were wrecked! Have now bought the tools for the belt and a full set of valves/head gaskets etc. now just to find time to fit it all! Hopefully I'll have the clio back up and running soon!

Clio 182 Cup
Hi Dan,

Yes all genuine renault bits, fitted them into the car today and she has never run better! Thanks for all the advice.

One other question, does anyone have any experience of fitting aftermarket bucket seats? I have had a read and as I understand it the only sticky wicket is the airbag light which can be resolved by the fitnent of a resistor? Is this true?

Cheers.