ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing belt

98 Clio RXE 1.6
Looks like my timing belt has broken due to a seized water pump. I think it broke when I was trying to start the car. What is a decent quote for having this repaired? Its a 1.4 1996 clio. So far I have one quote at 300 quid!

Thanks

98 Clio RXE 1.6
Well thats a quote assuming no damage to the engine. The cars value is probably only 300 so looks like it could be time to take it to the scrappy

Thanks for the reply though

ITB'd MK1
I'd expect you to need a set of valves, headgasket set, cambelt kit, water pump, coolant, oil, filters, plugs, and a few other small items. £700 roughly including labour if it's a K7J engine, and there's no piston damage. There WILL be bent valves, what they're suggesting to you is trying a new cambelt to see if it runs, which is a waste of time.

98 Clio RXE 1.6
Would there be bent valves if it broke when the engine wasnt even running? (yup I really have no idea what im talking about)

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Its unlikely to break when it isn't running as the belt would have to be seriously deteriorated to just snap under tension when stationary? If that did happen then you should be OK as the bottom end wont have been rotating and pistons wont have smashed valves but as I say highly unlikely. Also spinning it over on the starter in that state will have bent some valves. Wouldnt it be cheaper to source a new engine from ebay or someone on here?

98 Clio RXE 1.6
Well what I believe happened was:
Water was used instead of coolant
Water froze
I attempted to start car, water pump couldnt turn
Water pump pulley stripped timing belt

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I'd say thats 100% had it mate. It may have knackered the block too from it getting frozen.