ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Titanfall

Revels Mum & Sister
Well myself and 3 mates I play with have not had an issue with this 3 year wait... Clearly it does strike a balance as they have changed it ;) I am talking not getting smashed to bits every 2 minutes because you have a life outside TF.

Titanfall does not 'strike a good balance between hardcore gamers and casual gamers', hence why they have had to incorporate a new system whereby you have to wait about 3 years in the lobby to be matched with players of roughly the same skill-level. Its so ludicrously slow that by the time a match starts, you could have already played a standard match

The more I play this game, the more I dislike it. There are so many aspects (obvious aspects) of this game that could have made it a real hit.

I have to say (and I'm sounding very pessimistic here), I am fairly disappointed with a lot of the releases so far. Forza is probably the biggest let down, followed closely by the extremely repetitive 'Ryse', then this. I'm off to by metal gear solid tomorrow.....fingers crossed!!

Revels Mum & Sister
Not at all. You cannot compare Titanfall and Asseto. One is designed for mass market and selling millions and millions the other is a Sim is it not? Aimed at a very small sector of the market?

Never did I say after 90 mins you should be at the same level as someone who has been playing it for days and IMO you cannot be. However the vast majority of games will always favour the people who have masses of time to 'Invest/waste' so for me Titanfall fits the bill well. I have been gaming for 25 years now as well, hardly cool myself a youngun at 31. Just life changes for me.

I leave the house at 7.00am or sometimes before when I ride in and get home no earlier than 6.00pm. Add in eating, going out on the push bike when the weather is good, spending time with the missus and any other number of tasks and I don't have a mass of free time to be fair.

So yeah I agree for ME Titanfall is great even if it does p.iss off the geeks like you ;) I do not care what level, unlock, rank etc I have. I just really enjoy playing the game. I am not in NEED of Instant gratification. It is just nice to play a game where I don't want to throw the controller through the wall because I have not played it for a week. It is still clearly evident who is awesome at the game and the Perks/Unlocks have been dulled down compared to the likes of COD as well.

You have to accept that some people don't have time to invest (This is now the majority) and a lot of the time these breed of gamers buying games in Millions allow some studios to make smaller games for the geeks. Without them I doub't the game sector would be anything more than iPhone games...

I get your frustration however you either roll with the times and make the most of it or moan and keep playing the older games where you need to spend pretty much every spare minute playing to be able to compete. I do agree games should reward more the gamer who cares about levels though and see's spending hours in front of a screen as an achievment however that is not me.

VIVA TF!!!!!
It sounds as if in your world, I should be able to download Assetto Corsa on Steam, put 90mins into it and be on par for CS's own John Gordon who has currently clocked up 147 hours on it? Surely that just makes a mockery of the whole game and the skills needed to play it well? I don't give a flying monkey's bollock about games such as Bejeweled and Candy Crush - they are targeted at the people with 20mins to grab on the bus - or the few minutes that they are sat on the loo taking a dump. When that quick-fix/perma-achievement mentality migrates to games that should take time and commitment (like Titanfall et al) - that gets my back up.

As for designing games - trust me, if I could guarantee to make myself money from it, I'd be doing it tomorrow! :)
;)

D.

Seen the footage from the 360 at lunch. Im actally pretty impressed with what they have managed to do with it!!

LY 200 EDC LUX
Well myself and 3 mates I play with have not had an issue with this 3 year wait... Clearly it does strike a balance as they have changed it ;) I am talking not getting smashed to bits every 2 minutes because you have a life outside TF.

They have now removed the feature, so its back to playing against level 10 super-nerds.

just for your information, even though you seem to think your the only one that has a life outside of Titanfall and that everyone else is a nerd (going on some of your previous posts), you are sorely mistaken.

Im now selling my XBONE (please see classified section). 'Dissapointed' in the whole XBONE experience would probably be the understatement of the year.

Yaris Hybrid
LOL that's funny as my bro just had some vet bills so I bought back my XO I sold him!

On topic though I always liked Counterstrike as it was so pure. Not a fan of the XP games where no lifers gain an advantage.

Titanfall seems to fit somewhere in the middle ground.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Not at all. You cannot compare Titanfall and Asseto. One is designed for mass market and selling millions and millions the other is a Sim is it not? Aimed at a very small sector of the market?

Never did I say after 90 mins you should be at the same level as someone who has been playing it for days and IMO you cannot be. However the vast majority of games will always favour the people who have masses of time to 'Invest/waste' so for me Titanfall fits the bill well. I have been gaming for 25 years now as well, hardly cool myself a youngun at 31. Just life changes for me.

I leave the house at 7.00am or sometimes before when I ride in and get home no earlier than 6.00pm. Add in eating, going out on the push bike when the weather is good, spending time with the missus and any other number of tasks and I don't have a mass of free time to be fair.

So yeah I agree for ME Titanfall is great even if it does p.iss off the geeks like you ;) I do not care what level, unlock, rank etc I have. I just really enjoy playing the game. I am not in NEED of Instant gratification. It is just nice to play a game where I don't want to throw the controller through the wall because I have not played it for a week. It is still clearly evident who is awesome at the game and the Perks/Unlocks have been dulled down compared to the likes of COD as well.

You have to accept that some people don't have time to invest (This is now the majority) and a lot of the time these breed of gamers buying games in Millions allow some studios to make smaller games for the geeks. Without them I doub't the game sector would be anything more than iPhone games...

I get your frustration however you either roll with the times and make the most of it or moan and keep playing the older games where you need to spend pretty much every spare minute playing to be able to compete. I do agree games should reward more the gamer who cares about levels though and see's spending hours in front of a screen as an achievment however that is not me.

VIVA TF!!!!!

I'm far from the g33k you make out me to be :rasp:. I've clocked up a mere 17.3 hours in the last two weeks on Steam - the majority of which was testing/pushing the new GTX690 I picked up and it includes days off from work. On the grand scheme of things, pretty much FA. Besides, my gf would probably disown me even if I wanted to commit more time!!

I think you understand where I'm coming from though - even if you disagree with it. I just hate this watered-down approach to actually doing well in games - and I don't see it changing at anytime in the future. If people wanted to commit the time, they would do, period. Would you rush through a box set of DVDs that you really like by keeping a finger on the fast-forward button?

Some things stick in my ribs. And this is one of them. I could 'roll with the times' and accept hybrids and electric-only cars too. But I don't have any specific need to be thumbing through a Leaf brochure at any time in the near future. For sure, nostalgia, history and the 'way things used to be' can be a negative and disruptive at times. But in others, it poses monumental, epic wins. Breaking a formula that clearly worked to satisfy the needy nature of the quick-fix morons is a travesty.

Sh1theads, it other words.... ;) :cool:

D.

F82 M4
I've clocked up a mere 17.3 hours in the last two weeks on Steam - the majority of which was testing/pushing the new GTX690 I picked up and it includes days off from work. On the grand scheme of things, pretty much FA.

I can confirm that is definitely FA. I've clocked 62.6 hours in the past 2 weeks on Steam, probably around 5 hours on Origin as well. I also work full time and have a Mrs too ha. I sure love going to bed at 2am every night.

It's no wonder I look like a panda! :cool:

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Origin hours..... new post count argument?

I am with Darren though.

There's only one thing in life that I like to not instantly gratify me and that's gaming.

I'm glad I didnt go for Titanfall, I think.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Write up and comparison of the 360 version...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-titanfall-xbox-360-performance-analysis

To sum things up, it has screen tear (but so done the one version) and bar a few frame rate issues and textures, it does not differ much.

Looks like they did a great job porting it over and I'm buying it on Friday!!

That's a serious programming achievement if they've managed to get that running smoothly on a 360! Shame about the screen tear - but some very talented coding there nonetheless.

D.

That's a serious programming achievement if they've managed to get that running smoothly on a 360! Shame about the screen tear - but some very talented coding there nonetheless.

D.

Was concerened that the delay was because it was going to be bad!

No official reviews yet, but from what I have seen and from what people have played, they have done a seriously good job.

Having played on my mates XBONE I will give some feedback on the 360 version on Friday.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Was concerened that the delay was because it was going to be bad!

No official reviews yet, but from what I have seen and from what people have played, they have done a seriously good job.

Having played on my mates XBONE I will give some feedback on the 360 version on Friday.

That will be interesting to hear the comparison. I tend to suspect that the draw distance is the biggest hinderance to the 360 hardware with it relatively small memory. But if Titanfall battles are a closed in, small map affair - then it might actually do quite well.

On that article you posted, it said that you could run the 360 version at a set 30fps, which would all but illiminate the screen tearing. I think I'd run it in that mode, given the choice?

D.

Will see how it runs on both settings and report back. To be honest the XBONE graphics didn't blow me away, it was more the gameplay and how frantic it was from start to finish that I enjoyed!

F82 M4
Will see how it runs on both settings and report back. To be honest the XBONE graphics didn't blow me away, it was more the gameplay and how frantic it was from start to finish that I enjoyed!

To be honest mate it's nothing to do with XBONE, it's the games graphics. Even on the PC with the highest settings possible they won't blow you away. :)

Very ture. The reviews are starting to come through now for 360. Getting the high 80's and in to the 90'.

Shame that the 'bad points' in most reviews are that its not as crisp as the the XBONE version, which I feel is a bit unfair as it should be judged in its own right.

Clio 172
In all seriousness though - my frustrations are grounded in the knowledge that not-so-long ago - levels, achievements and ranks were something to aspire to and admire. Then came the seemingly incurable CODitis, force-feeding the increasing numbers of gamers with the attention span of an earthworm. DICE did a valiant attempt with Battlefield 2142 - giving a very good all-rounder capability to the standard kit. If you wanted to progress and put the hours into it - so be it. But you always had good kit to fall back on. And in no way were you fighting alongside a Rank 18 player with 14 more unlocks than you - simply because he bought the game at 9am that morning.

D.

Nail on the head. I played BF2 for two years and never reached rank 100. Same in BF2142 never reached top rank. BF3 I did and BF4 well its a joke I hit lvl 100 in about a month. There is no skill now and I don't care what people's opinions are I have also gamed for 32 years plus. I have gamed online since the late 90' s. Games were harder, achievements were just that not something I got for changing a scope. Some of the latter BF4 unlocks seem to be a challenge but even knifing is now a joke. I haven't got Titanfall yet and reading reviews I am probably not going to buy it. I game online and I enjoy being better than people because I have had years of practice. I am not interested in a 7 years old with auto aim at lvl 120 because he had purchased a premium pack and has unlocked everything. Online gaming these days is a mere shadow of what it used to be. Yes more people game online but it is so dumbed down that there is no skill involved.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Nail on the head. I played BF2 for two years and never reached rank 100. Same in BF2142 never reached top rank. BF3 I did and BF4 well its a joke I hit lvl 100 in about a month. There is no skill now and I don't care what people's opinions are I have also gamed for 32 years plus. I have gamed online since the late 90' s. Games were harder, achievements were just that not something I got for changing a scope. Some of the latter BF4 unlocks seem to be a challenge but even knifing is now a joke. I haven't got Titanfall yet and reading reviews I am probably not going to buy it. I game online and I enjoy being better than people because I have had years of practice. I am not interested in a 7 years old with auto aim at lvl 120 because he had purchased a premium pack and has unlocked everything. Online gaming these days is a mere shadow of what it used to be. Yes more people game online but it is so dumbed down that there is no skill involved.

FFS! Don't get me started on that, or XP bonuses for those who have bought Premium! ;)

I'm similar - never got anywhere near top rank on BF2, but I do recall the proper sense of achievement when you finally did unlock something. Or if you managed to get the drop on someone who had the better weapon and you quickly ran over and nabbed their kit! Maxed myself out on BF2142, but that took over two years of casual online play at the weekends.

CODitis dictates that anyone putting that level of commitment into a modern-day FPS should have prestige'd 342.5 times, acquired approximately 2,011 snake-skin colour effects for their MP5 and have gained 91% of all barrel and sight mods, known to humanity.

Guess what devs? Less can mean a whole LOT more at times......

D.

vysamabu.jpg

Had my highest kill streak last night :D
Love this game

Mito Sportiva 135
So I got this on 360 and on the whole it's awesome. Here are some thoughts - I wrote this for Gamecentral so hopefully published later this week. Let me know if you agree or not:

"I bought Titanfall for the 360 and seriously impressed with how fluidly it runs, it's great fun and quite addictive. However I am already starting to feel it's limitations, and it's not due to lack of maps. As Inky wrote (16/4/14) Respawn could really make this a great game by thinking a bit outside the box with its DLC.

Apart from the Titan and Pilot customisations everyone seems to crave (even if just more skins to begin with) I would love to see some more weapons and loadout options - I don't need a million guns and infinite attachments, but a few more would be nice - and some more strategic options for the Titans especially would be good, how about a vertical jet pack so you can reach some elevated positions, or a cloaking device similar to the Pilot version, or an artillery option where you 'dig in' but your firepower increases?

I think they could really be more imaginative with game modes, too. I would like to see some sort of strategic mode where you get to command the AI controlled units and direct them in battle, or maybe some kind of tower defence mode involving the turrets etc. Or how about instead of the lame attempt at a campaign they create a model where you have to control different planets/systems - which give you access to different bonuses/units depending how many you control (sort of thinking along the lines of the Dawn of War model, if anyone remembers that).

Respawn have created an engaging premise for a new game franchise but they need to be bolder with it, otherwise the accusations of "Call of Duty with robots" might start to ring true - and people will start to lose interest with it."

I bought for 360 and sold it on after 2 days. Graphically its OK, but really does show the 360s age.

First few games I really enjoyed but to be honest, it all got a bit boring a bit too quickly.

AK

M240i
I'm planning on trading mine in too, on Xbox One. It's a good game, but not one I'd play by myself and no one else seems to play it anymore either.

Clio 172
I'm assuming by the lack of posts that Titanfall has died a death, shame as it seemed to have alot of potential. I guess I'll wait till its a fiver on origin and then buy it.

Nissan 350z
Its honestly too casual for its own good. There's no depth to the game (spawn, shoot, die, repeat) the objectives aren't important enough to matter, and the rounds are over too quickly to give any sense of satisfaction.

Its a shame because I REALLY like the whole mech twist on the Call of Duty formula. I just wish it was more like Battlefield (longer rounds, squads, teamwork etc).

Clio 172
Just finished the 2 day free trial, got to lvl 22 in 4 hours of online action. Have to say I enjoyed it, found the paet of trying to actually kill another player very annoying, 25 AI kills, 1 Pilot kill, 1 Titan kill. So after spending a bit of time spotting Pilots I got alot better scores. Not a game I could play every day and the online action is harldy inspiring of any kind of teamwork but I could play this from time to time. I'll buy it when it gets to about £20 from Origin.

F82 M4
Still not tried this yet.

As others, I might nab it when it comes cheap on Origin.

D.

There's just no real feeling of achievement when you win etc, it just feels more like a timewasting exercise. Something to fill in the gaps.

It's not like Dota 2 where a victory after an hour long game gives you the biggest e-penis feeling in the world! :)

Nissan 350z
I think me having to trawl back to Page#6 to find this topic says it all. However....
GAME UPDATE EIGHT
Brand new cooperative game mode - Frontier Defense
Join forces with up to three other players in this cooperative game mode to defend a vital objective from increasingly intense waves of AI combatants.
http://www.titanfall.com/game-update-eight
As great as this sounds it should have been in from the start!

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I tried it free on Origin, only played one match after the tutorial. Didn't work for me!