ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To strip...or not to strip...

Weight loss

• Total voters

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
That be the question.

I'm sure most of you have seen the interior of the flame mobile. It is what I'll politely call "clubsport" spec. I.e. It's still all there, just has silly bucket seats, harnesses and a cage :smile:

I did this as I used the car quite often for long trips, but now I have a more suitable daily that means the Clio seems to only really come out for track days. I'm likely to get a trailer in a year or so, so I'm seriously considering stripping it completely inside, poly'ing up the windows and going on a weight purge.

What do people think, and any good tips / experiences? I've added a poll to see what the general opinion is....

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
If as you say you won't be using the car that much for longer journeys I'd say strip. Less weight for a start. In the grand scheme of making you and the car quicker, marginal imo. Id do it for the rawness, oh and because racecar

330i. E30 Touring.
No. No. No. No. No.

You're a f**king lump anyway, so completely negates the benefits. Put down the fork

If you were going racing, it's the obvious choice. As you still need to drive to trackdays in it, you would hate it before long.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm doing it to mine, purely to experience it... and because I can.

I think you'll regret it though dude. Yours is the perfect blend and, A ANIMAL.

Listerine & Poledo
No. You're better than that Olli. I'd expect it from the virgins, but not you.

Are you trying to set OMG laptmes!? Because if you're just going to track days, whats the benefit?

Also, as said, sandwiched

Are you trying to be a track hero or the best billy big b****cks on track with super lap times (which aren't allowed anyway), or are you just a normal enthusiast who enjoys his car for what it is?

I don't see the point in stripping imo, I bet you wouldn't even notice it on track anyway imo. Sure, a few seconds quicker, but enough to notice it? Nope.

Listerine & Poledo
He just wants to pretend he's 23 again.

Just go up Mc'D's and get the drift trays out for an evening @Cub. and get it out of your system

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Are you trying to be a track hero or the best billy big b****cks on track with super lap times (which aren't allowed anyway), or are you just a normal enthusiast who enjoys his car for what it is?

I don't see the point in stripping imo, I bet you wouldn't even notice it on track anyway imo. Sure, a few seconds quicker, but enough to notice it? Nope.

It isn't about the lap times. At CSS I went out in a fully stripped car which seemed to feel more "fun" because of how raw it was. @Daniel will attest it wasn't any quicker than mine, but it felt worlds apart.

It's because of the trailer / non road use that started make me think about it.....

330i. E30 Touring.
Lols! The irony of this is tickling me. I can't eat sandwiches you little Pygmy with your perfectly crafted ginger Benjamin Button look.

Ps. I need to text you regards the Shicra. One moment caller.

Don't tell me you ain't buying no Gluten free bread?!

It isn't about the lap times. At CSS I went out in a fully stripped car which seemed to feel more "fun" because of how raw it was. @Daniel will attest it wasn't any quicker than mine, but it felt worlds apart.

It's because of the trailer / non road use that started make me think about it.....

Hmm, well if you take every part out carefully you could always put it back in if you hate it! Don't know tbh, I wouldn't. personally it's awesome as it is.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Don't waste the time or money. You're not racing. There's just no point, it's already got a jaunty gear stick and wheel, buckets and harnesses. Nothing more needed. When you get in now it feels nothing like a road car.

Finally, there's also no point given that the trim that'll come out will probably weigh the same as a morning dump. So just make sure you drop one before every track day and you'll get the same benefit!

Listerine & Poledo
I've just found an old "hello Kitty" dangly in the work kitchen, I'll post it over to you mate, hang it off your rear tow-eye and you'll feel much better ;)

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I took the rear seats out as I didn't see the point in carrying around something I never used and they're quite heavy.
Other than that given I'm a lardy b*****d myself I don't see much point unless I'm going to do something which will properly strip weight out of it like GRP panels etc.

I would personally keep some of the comforts.

I've a caged 205 with buckets and harnesses and other than rear seats being removed due to being pointless with a cage over them, I retain my carpet and full dash as the car becomes less pleasurable for fast road jaunts. I had the full carpet and underlay out when I was having the cage welded in and used it a couple of times stripped and it wasn't preferable. You end up kicking stones around the painted floor etc. It didn't actually weigh a great deal either.

I see people going mad with the hole saw in the rear quarters to save every last gram - which if you are aiming to be competitive with the car - fine, but not for a car that you will use on the road much much much more than you will on the track very occasionally.

Maybe try it so you can make an informed decision.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
you do notice a difference on track with the car stripped out.

I regularly use the car on the road aswel so have retained the front door cards and carpet (minus the sound deadening crap from under it), its perfectly liveable and isnt too noisy. Increase in road noise obvioulsy but nothing too bad, can always get one of the fitted carpets for the rear off ebay or the like to keep it looking tidy

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
On an out and out race car then yeah i would maybe go all out in terms of stripping, Considering yours actually has a bit of power compared to the majority of 1*2's i wouldn't bother. Your really not going make a noticeable difference, Other than the noise and comfort which would soon get on your tits regardless if its only used on TDs. If you really want to save weight that will be noticeable then lighter wheels/discs/battery etc is where to start. Basically stuff that actually weighs something and not a load of plastic and sound deadening

I had mine like yours, kept the carpets etc etc, I've just done a more thorough strip job but cut the plastics to keep some of them. With the painted floors and a bit more cabin noise I have to say it adds to the experience, wish I'd done it earlier, plus it just makes me smile, because racecar :smile:
7D596169-1D07-4DE8-9EE6-50ADD702B555_zpsgotspwsh.jpg

E289C3BA-F6A1-4ADC-9813-75FD3CE03A33_zpscum1trj2.jpg

D2992350-ADC8-4EC8-AF00-D594658CA2C3_zpswa2yjxlm.jpg